Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Our cholent is veggie. What meat can I serve Shabbos day?

binah918

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:17 am
Our cholent is always vegetarian. DH doesn't really like cold chicken. What other meat can I serve cold on Shabbos day? Maybe an idea for cold-cuts, etc.?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:31 am
We often serve cold cuts, as is. There's a good variety. I guess shnitzel is out if your husband doesn't like it, OTOH, if you are having guests, they might like that.

My mother sometimes serves cold roast meat. And there's P'tchah, the gel that comes from cooking calf or beef feet. We often had that growing up. I never made it bec. my husband didn't like it, but now he said he'd try it.

How about chopped liver? Very traditional. mixed with eggs and onions, it incorporates that minhag too. ( I once heard that the reason we eat eggs and onions is that onions have seven layers alluding to Shabbos).

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:38 am
I never knew that about the onion! that's very interesting!

you could serve meatbals, meatloaf, stuffed cabbage; really anything you want. sliced turkey . . .

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:23 am
Cold cuts are one idea (but not very healthy)
A pickled brisket, or roast beef taste almost as good cold.
I have a great recipe for pickled brisket at home, do you want me to look it up?

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:28 am
Cold cuts, including corned beef or turkey breast which are pure meat, not the garbage bits like salami.

You can make a cold cut salad (KBD) or deli roll (recipe on here)

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:39 am
You can make shnitzel and put it on top of the crock pot so it'll warm up.

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 12:11 pm
Cold cut salad or salad with grilled chicken in it is yummy.

mumof1

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 5:24 pm
sliced turkey roast is great at room temp.
you know you can reheat things on top of your crock pot, I reheat schnitzel on top of the crockpot, its great.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 5:43 pm
fillet of kalichal (not sure how to spell) but it is a flat roast with fat only by edges you cook in pan with onions carrots celery garlic, and put on top some spices like garlic pepper and paprika. It is delicious both hot and cold. The trick is to add a little water when almost cooked to make any gravy extend and then the "gel" is good cold on the meat too.

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 12:14 am
I know you said your husband doesn't like cold chicken, BUT have you ever tried to make a chicken salad (like with your soup chicken?). You can make some really delicious variations, its great on challah too. If you don't tell him, he'll probobly think its tuna.
We also make a vegetarian cholent often. We don't even serve meat shabbos lunch. My husband doens't want any. We have meat fri. dinner and he says its no "oneg" for him to eat meat for lunch, so we just dont have any.
So unless you are machmir on that, donn't force yourself to eat it.......

MorahRachel

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:49 pm
I have a couple of recipes that are good served at room temp. I just take them out of the fridge a few hours before lunch. As others have already said, you can also heat things on top of the crock pot or even next to it (not so hot).
do you want me to send you the recipes? do you have the kosher pallete cook book?
let me know

binah918

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:40 am
Thanks for all the suggestions! I like the idea of some sort of salad Shabbos day. I always intend to put some meat/chicken on the cholent, but I usually sleep late or forget until half an hour before we eat. And MorahRachel, please post your recipes...I don't have the Kosher Pallete.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:17 pm
Quote:
You can make shnitzel and put it on top of the crock pot so it'll warm up.

How long does schintzle need to be on the crockpot before it is totally hot?

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:40 pm
I also sometimes sleep too close to lunch to put stuff onthe crockpot. So now I tell my husband to do it before he leaves for shul.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus