Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you hug or kiss the air??

How do you greet a friend?
I give a hug.  
 17%  [ 10 ]
I just smile and say, "Hello!"  
 71%  [ 41 ]
I give a kiss on her cheek!   
 5%  [ 3 ]
I kiss the air on one side of her face.  
 1%  [ 1 ]
I kisss the air, on both sides.  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 57

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:11 am
When you are greeting a friend, do you hug her or kiss the air, and on one side of the face, or both sides?

Is there a norm in your community?

What are the rules????

I go for a hug, but then I feel an air kiss to my cheek, and try to regroup and next thing I know I'm getting it on the other cheek. So awkward.

Of course, I realize that at a wedding, or a formal event when we all have makeup on, then for sure it's supposed to be just air kisses on one side of the face (or two for sefardim).

How do you know what to do??

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:15 am
This thread might give you an idea on how I feel about the subject. Though since living here longer, while I still don't care for the kiss, I sometimes feel insulted if someone doesn't give me one Rolling Eyes . Two different men did it to me and I was so shocked, I didn't stop them. I've never had a man try to kiss me on the cheek before. I was with my dh both times. My dh is used to it with women, so he stops them, but that was a first for me.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:23 am
It took me many many years in Israel to get used to kissing on both cheeks.
I still never initiate (just a cold fish I guess), but if someone starts, I know the deal.
It's always in the air though, I've never had a friend/relative kiss my cheek in the literal sense. Just a cm or two away.

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 9:29 am
yo'ma that thread was hilarious!! Thanks for the link!

Today my cleaning lady returned from her 2 mo vacation (how dare she) and I ran to give her a big hug, and mid hug I hear an air kiss, and then I realized, oh no, she's sefardi and now she's expecting a second air kiss on the other side, but I was mid hug, and well, it was almost a scene.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 8:18 am
I live among Sefardim and can tell you there is no rule. Some don't kiss (too "intimate" for outside the family), some do air kiss, some do real kiss...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette