Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Famous Food and Recipes of country/state/ family
1  2  3  Next

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 4:31 pm
Lets list different foods with their recipes that your country/family is famous for.
With so many nationalities/families we will get really new ideas on foods right from the pros.

Example:

Israeli's can tell us how to make good falafel, tahini and chumus etc...

Maybe s/o from CA can get good Mexican recipes from their cleaning lady

English can tell us how to make good biscuits with our tea

Special Shabbos dessert that everyone has seconds and thirds of

GET THE IDEA? Show your pride and list what your country/family is famous for!!!

Last edited by Sunshine on Tue, May 10 2005, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

proudmom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 4:36 pm
I dont think there is anything that Canada is famous for. IF anyone can correct me please do.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 4:56 pm
How about heritage? Mine's Hungarian...best cooks in the world. The list of famous dishes is too long to post. Ask me if you want any specific recipe.

My family is famous for our potato kugel. I think I posted the recipe at some point.

Switzerland is known for fondue (blech) and rösti (nothing special, if you ask me.) Also for vermicelle, which is a dessert made of chestnut puree mixed with whipping cream (or pareve topping.) This is actually pretty good, but you need to be able to get the puree and you need to have a vermicelle press.

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:13 pm
Congrats on being the first to post ideas! May many more fellow ladies follow!!!

Quote:
How about heritage?

Sure anything goes.

Quote:
Mine's Hungarian...best cooks in the world.

So is my mil and boy do I agree!!!

Quote:
The list of famous dishes is too long to post. Ask me if you want any specific recipe.

Maybe you can list a few that one wouldn't find in a regular cookbook. Some of your favorites.

Quote:
Switzerland is known for fondue (blech) and rösti (nothing special, if you ask me.) Also for vermicelle, which is a dessert made of chestnut puree mixed with whipping cream (or pareve topping.) This is actually pretty good, but you need to be able to get the puree and you need to have a vermicelle press.

Can you explain to us non Swiss what fondue and rosti are? I thought vermicelle is a shape of a pasta.

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 8:36 pm
proudmom wrote:
I dont think there is anything that Canada is famous for. IF anyone can correct me please do.

Maybe your family has some special food/recipe that e/o loves. From the menu that supermom posted about her shabbos meal it sounds like your mother is some special lady that always has good food arround. Care to share her specialties?

gryp

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 8:59 pm
www.chabad.org has a shabbos menu for all different types of people- check it out!

proudmom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 9:00 pm
Quote:
it sounds like your mother is some special lady that always has good food arround.

My mother is a very special lady and my mother is a wonderful cook, I learned how to cook from my mother. She makes her pumpkin pie with just plain sweet potatoes. That is really good. She makes a delicous cheese cake that I just started making every shabbos. Supermom is a very good cook. She comes up with a lot of wonderful recipes.

Sweet Potato Pie

2 sweet potatoes

1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp of cloves
3 tbsp non dairy creamer
1 egg

Mash the sweet potatoes, add the rest of the ingredients and place it in a 9 inch pie crust (not gram cracker ) place it in the oven on 350 and take it out when the knife comes out clean.

Enjoy!!

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 9:26 pm
Sounds yum and easy proudmom! IYH I am going to make it for Shabbos!

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 10:34 pm
RG wrote:
www.chabad.org has a shabbos menu for all different types of people- check it out!

Thanks for posting. The recipes look really good. One interesting thing I noticed was the chollent that Mrs. Winner makes. She puts most of the ingredientss in the food processor. Did anyone ever try that? What does it do make it really thick?

miriam

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 10:36 pm
I think this is in many cultures, lecho.
Saute onion. Then add garlic salt and black pepper. Add 6 chopped green peppers. Let it cook 5 mins. Add 6 chopped tomatoes and let cook 20 mins covered. When most of the liquid is gone, add 3-4 beaten eggs and mix quickly. Season to taste. So yummy.

gryp

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 10:37 pm
wow, I never heard of putting cholent in a food processor...
Mrs. Winner also has a video of how to cook a Shabbos meal, and she also does presentations at Chabad Houses, if anyone wants a nice idea for a women's only event...
I know one Chabad House that brought her in and it all went very well.

Chanie

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 11:10 pm
Sunshine- I once posted a recipe for sweet potato and spicy bean burritos that I sometimes make. The combination of sweet and spicy is delicious.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=154

imaamy

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 12:10 am
RG--where is it on Chabad.org? The site is crammed with so much information I don't know where to look for menus/recipes. Thanks!

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:07 am
proudmom wrote:
. Supermom is a very good cook. She comes up with a lot of wonderful recipes.

aww embarrassed

heres a recipe that was past down from relative to relative in our family that was a big hit at all our tables.

Eli's Spagetti
this is embarrassed embarrasing I have no idea how to spell spagetti none of the ways that I did it look right

cooked and drained spagetti
cottage cheese
tomato sauce
mushrooms
monstuer cheese

mix everything together besides the monstuer cheese and put into a baking pan. top with the slices/grated monstuer cheese and bake until cheese begins to brown on top.
note. be generous on the tomato sauce and cottage cheese.

mmmm I think I am going to make that with a salad and soup for tonight. thanks for getting my appetite going.

Last edited by supermom on Wed, May 11 2005, 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:11 am
My grandmother's recipe

POTATO SALAD WITH A NEW TWIST
dress it up with scallions/ celery finely chopped/ lemon juice/ pickle juice/ and some pickles, salt, and pepper. if you want add onions finely chopped. [/u][/I]

Pearl

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:21 am
mmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wish I could make ALL of the above RIGHT NOW!!

ok, here is one of my mom's recipes:

Courgette (Zuchini, and kishu'in in hebrew) soup:

mash a few courgettes in a blender, add spices (garlic, salt and a little pepper), a little water, and right before serving, add fried pine nuts (I love those, can put them in almost everything!) and a spoon of creme fraiche!

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:29 am
My best recipes are made up by throwing all my spices and whatever I have in my house. they come out surprisingly delicious. don't ask me why but I use these experments on guest too and they still come out good. my best thing I use is a lot of honey.

ground meat with noodles[I][u]

while meat is cooking break up any clumps with a fork. when the meat is almost done add some ketchup/or tomato sauce., garlic, onion powder or real onion slightly sauted, honey, a dash of soy sauce, and some dash. cook on low flame until meat is done and serve over noodles. the meat should not be dried but with a nice sauce formed by the ketchup or tomato sauce or even better yet by both. enjoy with a salad.

Pearl

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:31 am
Quote:
"supermom"] my best thing I use is a lot of honey

yes, honey!! delicious!!!!! so, when can I come over?! Wink

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:39 am
anytime. wait a minute how are you enjoying your vocation from your family? forgot to ask sorry.

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:41 am
pine nuts are expensive we just pick them off the tree and do it ourselves a lot of work but well worth the time and cooking and all.

my kids love squash I think I would make a squash soup for them tonight I will test it out on them and let you know tomorrow of the results.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics