Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Famous Food and Recipes of country/state/ family
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Pearl

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:58 am
yes, pine nuts are expensive...but so yummie! lucky you can get them off a tree!

bete'avon, I hope they'll like it!

gryp

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 8:35 am
the recipes I gave the link to on chabad.org is their cover story for this week called "how to: Shabbat"

chabad.org does have tons if info, its one of the first sites I go to when im trying to research something

miriam

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 12:07 pm
You can also type recipe into the search box and find lots of info.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 4:51 am
Sunshine wrote:

Quote:
The list of famous dishes is too long to post. Ask me if you want any specific recipe.

Maybe you can list a few that one wouldn't find in a regular cookbook. Some of your favorites.

Well, letcho (actually spelled lecso) which is a typical Hungarian dish. Miriam gave a good recipe, with actual quantities which I never have. We usually make lecso when vegetables are about to go bad - doesn't affect the taste at all. You can add some tomato puree to make a nice red sauce and leave out the egg to serve it as a vegetable side-dish.

Chicken paprikas: Chop plenty of onions, place chicken quarters over the onion in a large frying pan and season with salt, pepper and lots of paprika. Braise (cook on a low flame, tightly covered) till chicken is done.

You can add nokerdli to this: Beat an egg or two, add a little water, s&p, and a little baking powder. Add enough flour to make a soft dough and drop by spoonfuls into the chicken gravy. You can also add nokerdli to soup.

Paprikas potatoes: Start sauteing onions in plenty of oil, add potato wedges, s&p and plenty of paprika, and a little water. Cook covered on low flame. When potatoes are ready, you can pour some sour cream over them. Nothing like it!

I will post more things when I think of them b"n.

Quote:
Quote:
Switzerland is known for fondue (blech) and rösti (nothing special, if you ask me.) Also for vermicelle, which is a dessert made of chestnut puree mixed with whipping cream (or pareve topping.) This is actually pretty good, but you need to be able to get the puree and you need to have a vermicelle press.

Can you explain to us non Swiss what fondue and rosti are? I thought vermicelle is a shape of a pasta.

Fondue is a mix of two kinds of Swiss cheese that are melted together, and brough to a bubble along with kirsch (a sharp liquor made of cherries) and white wine. It's served in a pot over a Sterno can along with cubes of stalish bread. You spear the bread with a long handled fork, dip it into the fondue mixture and try to get it to your mouth without dripping any of it. It's actually not bad the first few bites, but by the time to get to the middle of the pot, you're slightly nauseous (me anyhow) and a bit tipsy from the alcohol. Fondue is actually popular in many countries as an aprés ski snack.

There is another kind of fondue with meat and sauces, but I haven't eaten it yet, so I can't describe it. But the non-kosher version is made with horse meat.... Twisted Evil

Rösti: Cooked shredded potatoes fried in pancake form.

Vermicelle is called that way because it resembles long strands of soup noodles, which are called vermicelli.

supermom

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 4:55 am
supermom wrote:
how are you enjoying your vocation from your family?

this ones for you pearl.

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 6:20 am
I litterally hate every cheesecake that I have made here in Isreal the cream cheese sour cream nothing is the same as good ole american products. I have just heard of this recipe from my sister in law and let me tell you it was out of this world completely. here it goes.

4 whip cream
4 cream cheese (try to use the most fat ones they work the best)
2 cups of sugar
1 powdered pudding
tea biscuits.
it is best to use an electric mixer and if not then a regular mixer would do but whipping and all would be longer of course!

While whipping the whip cream slowly add the pudding and whip for about thirty seconds. Add the sugar a little at a time beating constintly. Add the cream cheese and combine all together.

assembly
crush tea biscuits or leave them whole on to the bottom of a pan big enough to hold your cheese cake. and pour half of batter on top of cookies then add more crushed or whole cookies to make a layer. Last but not least pour the rest of the batter on top and top with tea biscuits if you desire and refridgerate until ready to serve. best if you leave it over night in the refridgerator and half hour before serving put it in the freezer to make it a little bit firmer. bon apitete.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:42 am
Super that cheesecake recipe is international .We made it every year ranging from England to the State to Canada to France to Italy and Austrailia. And yes it is yummy 8)

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:49 am
Sunshine great thread Very Happy We English are known 4 our shepards pie and breaskfast scones (muffins but outta this world)!

And never ever heard of putting chulent in food processor nor of making challahs and putting it into a baking pan like she does. Confused
Creative I must say but I think I'll stick to the original way that we all know Smile

Sunshine

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 3:47 pm
Quote:
We English are known 4 our shepards pie

Really?! I just learned s/t new today!

Quote:
and breaskfast scones (muffins but outta this world)!

Got any recipes to share?

Quote:
And never ever heard of making challahs and putting it into a baking pan like she does.
Creative I must say but I think I'll stick to the original way that we all know

I bake mine in loaf shaped pans becaused it gives it a taller look which I like and it makes it easier to put in zip bags to store. How do you make yours on a cookie sheet?[/quote]

supermom

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 3:22 am
sheperds pie mmmm out of this world. and this cheesecake I never heard of it before until I came to israel. Confused I still love the farmer cheese cheesecake my mother makes still is richer and yummier.

Chanie

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 2:04 pm
proudmom wrote:
I dont think there is anything that Canada is famous for. IF anyone can correct me please do.

Potine! but I cannot find a decent recipe for it. The first time I tasted it, I loved it, now every time I buy it, it ends up being too greasy.
For those of you who do not know what potine is: it's a quebec food. French fries with gravy and melted cheese (usually meat gravy, but the kosher variety is often substitute with mushroom gravy)

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 5:13 pm
Chanie, sounds really yum. If you do find a good recipe for it can you please post it?

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 11:04 pm
My family always makes this cake for Shabbos and it is everyones favorite. This cake stays moist 4ever. It is easy to make and delish.

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (can use water instead for Parev cake)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 9 inch round baking pans. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, milk , oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water(batter will be thin). Pour into pans. Bake 30-35 min. or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 min.; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

Cupcakes: Line approximately 30 muffin cups with paper bake cups. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 350 for 22-25 min. Cool. Frost.

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

1 stick butter or margarine
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powder sugar
1/3 cup milk (use water for Parev frosting)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powder sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:25 am
Does the cake have a "baking soda" taste? I have been searching for years for a chocolate cake that doesn't taste like baking soda and have yet to find one.

supermom

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 5:47 am
baking soda just helps to rise the cake maybe you are putting too much of it.

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 2:49 pm
sarahd wrote:
Does the cake have a "baking soda" taste? I have been searching for years for a chocolate cake that doesn't taste like baking soda and have yet to find one.

Nope. Just a really really chocolaty taste that is heaven. If you make it tell me if you think it has a baking soda taste. What about your mother's? I am sure she makes good ones. Wink

sarahd

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 3:09 pm
My mother makes great everything, except chocolate cakes. Sad Not a Hungarian specialty.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 12:59 pm
In my family we make egg in the nest. It is really good. You take a peice of bread and you make a hole in it and you place the egg in there (not scrammbled) and then you fry it on one side till it turns brown, then turn it over for a minute then its ready to eat

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 1:05 pm
proudmom, I was wondering how people get the fried egg to stay on the bread. thanx for posting.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 2:16 pm
I always thought that was called bulls eyes.. Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics