Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I am vegetarian- AMA!!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:11 pm
I have been vegetarian my entire life- my whole family is.
I tried meat once and I am allergic to fish.
I cook meat for my family but my kids only eat a little chicken- they hate red meat and fish.
I eat only cage free eggs.
I am vegetarian because I love animals and believe my life and environment is better without consuming meat products.

Ask away!

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:15 pm
Ooh good one!

What is a typical breakfast, lunch, dinner?

Do you eat healthy or do you eat a lot of carbs?

Are you full after a meal?

Do you get enough protein?

Share some recipes please Smile

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:56 am
sequoia wrote:
Ooh good one!

What is a typical breakfast, lunch, dinner?

Do you eat healthy or do you eat a lot of carbs?

Are you full after a meal?

Do you get enough protein?

Share some recipes please Smile

Breakfast: cereal and milk
Lunch: Veggie hotdogs, pasta cucumber (I eat like a kid lol)
Dinner: pasta/ lasagne/homemade pizza/ cauliflower casserole/ soup etc

Yes I am full after a meal.

I eat a ton of carbs- not healthy at all but we are all carb addicts-I am very overweight but so is DH who eats chicken, meat etc

I get tons of protein from cheese, nuts etc.

What recipes wuld you like Smile

Peanut2

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 3:50 am
Also vegetarian here Smile

Bkfast: cereal with milk, sometimes eggs with cheese, bread, salad, vegetables - the "Israeli breakfast" type of thing.

Lunch and dinner can be interchangeable: big salad with lots of veggies, maybe walnuts and feta, too. Or a veggie burrito. Or rice, lentils, veggies. Stews and stir-fries of various sorts - we love using Indian spices, Italian, or Mexican, and a whole mix of veggies and legumes. Pasta or pizza or soy chicken when I have no time. Veggies can be more time consuming but delicious. I never make kugels, sometimes quiches, get lots of protein from lentils and beans, some from nuts and dairy and the veggie soy substitutes.

curlgirl

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 5:20 am
Do you take any vitamins/ supplements?

Why do you eat milk products, knowing that animals suffer in that industry too? Why is that better in your opinion than eating meat?

(I am not in any way a vegan BTW)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:48 am
curlgirl wrote:

Why do you eat milk products, knowing that animals suffer in that industry too? Why is that better in your opinion than eating meat?

I take daily womens vitamins.

As regards the bolded it is something I struggle internally with b/c I know the dairy industry is way crueler than meat. I don't really have an answer but drinking milk grosses me out and it is difficult for me to eat cheese without thinking abt the animals suffering. I think if I felt I would eat enough without dairy I would give it up but I eat so little as it is that it just isnt realistic for me to be vegan as much as I would love to be. Slorry for the lame answer but it is the truth.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 9:18 am
curlgirl wrote:

In the US I bought my milk locally from a place I had actually visited. I could see how the animals were treated, and they were treated well. You're right that I buy dairy and don't know how the animals were treated everywhere. I also visited a few kibbutzim that have dairy cows and they also seemed to be treated very well.

It's also possible to buy meat from places that treat the animals well, and if you eat meat then I think this is best. The difference between these two is quite obvious, because in order to eat meat you (or your proxy) have to kill an animal. I just can't do that. And just thinking about eating something that was once alive makes me very unhappy. I just couldn't do it.

Ed to add that I don't take vitamins. When I have blood tests they always come back great, thank G-d.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen