Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Business wardrobe & tznius - dresses and dress suits
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 4:16 pm
In my workplace the dress code ranges from the higher end of business casual to formal. I would like to buy a few sheath dresses to wear with either cardigans or matching jackets.

I am 5'7" and want the skirt of the dress to at least cover my knees when I am standing up. Most of what I see online for sheath dresses and dress suits hits above the knee on the model. I don't need the neckline to be above the collarbone, but it should be well above any cleavage.

For example, like this dress, but longer: http://www.jny.com/Belted-Shea.....talog

Where have you had luck finding longer business-acceptable sheath dresses? Links appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to debate tznius standards, please start a spinoff and don't do it here. This thread is just for practical advice.

happy

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 4:37 pm
Try banana republic under "tall". Not sure if it will help because you are tall!

hop613

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 4:44 pm
I'm also 5'7-it is nearly impossible to find formal clothes that are long enough and appropriate for the work place. Banana Republic might have some thing that are longer, but dresses are almost impossible to find unless you go to a frum store. You can try buying a shorter dress and having a band of material added to the bottom-this only works with some materials/patterns, but a good seamstress or dressmaker can do a really good job. It's worth it to have a few dresses that are the appropriate styles, but also long enough.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 4:54 pm
I'm actually a shortie, and I tend to do more conservative jacket/blouse/skirt combo.
I've found most of my business wardrobe at Talbots and Ann Taylor.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 6:12 pm
if it's a good price, buy two and have the tailor use one dress for the other one's length.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 6:51 pm
Yes, buy everything in Tall.

Maybe there are Tall websites.

You might have to have a few correct skirts and put jackets over them of a different fabric if you can't find suits long enough.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 7:07 pm
Kasper
Jones New York
Ann Taylor
Talbot

tzniutfashion

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 11:17 am
You can also have your business wardrobe custom made that will fit you all the time.

In addition, you are not limited to layering. You can design your wardrobe to be complete apparel without any layers.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 11:20 am
I have the longest torso known to man, and gap, old navy, and banana (owned by same company, and the online stores, not in the brick and mortar store) have a "tall" section. nearly all of my tees/shells/tops come from there.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 12:02 pm
It may have to be separates. Getting a sheath to fit is very hard. Separates can look quite as formal as a sheath.

Dresses puff up in front when you sit down, too.

And sheaths zip up the back, which is more trouble.

lkwdwife2009

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 12:34 pm
Color blocking is very in style, you can easily add a good 6" piece of fabric or leather around the bottom of a straight dress. I have found that to be most helpful and even add some personality to an otherwise conservative dress.

curiousgeorge1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 3:22 pm
I think lkwd has the best idea. It's really hard to find those types for dresses to cover the knee even if ur not tall. U can add black or tan leather to most conservative sheath dresses and it looks great. If the dress has a belt sometimes u can find a fabric that matches the belt to add. Or you can add fabric of a brighter color to a plain solid dress. It is still a professional look. The only problem is that this does add to the cost.

I find that buying tzniyus professional clothes is expensive! But there's not really a choice...

tzniutfashion

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 4:52 pm
When a style is made for above the knee, buying a Tall size does not make the style longer below the knee. It just means it may fit someone with a longer backbone, longer armscye depth, and the proportions for waist-hips is longer and the sleeve length will be a bit longer for tall women. That's all. If the style is above the knee, then even a size Tall made in the same style will be above the knee.

The best solution is always to custom fit.

tzniutfashion

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 4:55 pm
lkwdwife2009 wrote:
Color blocking is very in style, you can easily add a good 6" piece of fabric or leather around the bottom of a straight dress. I have found that to be most helpful and even add some personality to an otherwise conservative dress.

The style in the link is tapered at the bottom. If you add additional fabric, it will make the hem even more tapered and make it even harder to move. You can add a flair bottom piece, but that may destroy the style entirely because it will look like a fish's tail.

Ima_Shelli

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 5:03 pm
I have had luck with Tory Burch and Ellie Tahari. Usually there are one or two over-the-knee sheath dresses per season. You can wait for them to go on sale if you like (I usually go directly to their websites for the best selection).
FTR, I think adding a piece of fabric to the bottom of a sheath dress generally does not look professional.

curiousgeorge1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 10:26 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:

FTR, I think adding a piece of fabric to the bottom of a sheath dress generally does not look professional.

I disagree. I think it depends on how it was done. If you take it to someone who is skilled at this it and the right fabric is chosen then it looks like it came that way.

And to the woman who said that it will be difficult to walk. That is a general problem with the professional tapered skirt look. If it is flairs out then it won't look professional and if it is tapered then it will be hard to walk when covering your knees. This is the reason the skirts and dresses that are this style that are long will always have slits. If the OP does not wear skits above the knee, then even if she does find the type of dress she is looking for then she will have to sew up the slit and it will be difficult to walk. If she does wear slots, then when she adds the material she can put in a slit.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2013, 11:28 pm
curiousgeorge1 wrote:
And to the woman who said that it will be difficult to walk. That is a general problem with the professional tapered skirt look. If it is flairs out then it won't look professional and if it is tapered then it will be hard to walk when covering your knees. This is the reason the skirts and dresses that are this style that are long will always have slits. If the OP does not wear skits above the knee, then even if she does find the type of dress she is looking for then she will have to sew up the slit and it will be difficult to walk. If she does wear slots, then when she adds the material she can put in a slit.

Pet peeve of mine: Skirts in which it is impossible to use your full stride, and you must make many mincing steps, like Morticia Addams, in order to cross the room. Forget about climbing stairs.

I refuse to buy these.

Then again, I work in E"Y and work in engineering/math, so I can get away with a lot. Smile

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 12:02 am
curiousgeorge1 wrote:
Ima_Shelli wrote:

I disagree. I think it depends on how it was done. If you take it to someone who is skilled at this it and the right fabric is chosen then it looks like it came that way.

She can put in a kick pleat, although that too will look less professional.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 2:14 am
Can you get something custom-tailored?

If you ever happen to go to Thailand or India, it may be worth it to get some custom-tailored dresses.

There are good seamstresses in E"Y who do custom tailoring. If you are ever here, it may be worth investigating.

tzniutfashion

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 8:51 am
Custom-tailoring:

Your designer/seamstress should be as knowledgeable about tznius as she is about dressmaking, otherwise it will be a waste of money.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics