Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Quinoa
1  2  Next

gazingblue

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 8:13 pm
I would very much like to start introducing quinoa to my family--problem is they are not very into (putting it mildly) trying new things. Any suggestions for a slow introduction, maybe some dishes that only have some quinoa? I work, so please nothing complicated, only simple. TIA

imamom7

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 8:20 pm
I've heard ppl put it in israeli salad to make it more filling? never tried it but heard its good- theres also a great salad with peppers craisins almonds and quinoa- just make sure to rinse it well so its not bitter

gazingblue

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 8:27 pm
imamom7 wrote:
I've heard ppl put it in israeli salad to make it more filling? never tried it but heard its good- theres also a great salad with peppers craisins almonds and quinoa- just make sure to rinse it well so its not bitter

The salad sounds good. Anyone have a recipe for it?

daisydoodler

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 8:46 pm
I make amazing quinoa breakfast cookies. The recipe is from epicurious.com, I've adapted it a little. like use choc chips instead of craisins and almonds. The quinoa is definitely detectable so you're family can get used to flavor, but at same time theyre yummy cookies no one can resist! Full of protein, etc

kitkat

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 9:35 pm
I make couscous salad only instead of couscous I use quinoa. Also try using it as a stuffing mixed with fried ground meat and onions and herbs for cabbage or beef tomatoes or zucchini .

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 10:56 pm
I use quinoa pasta. I don't taste a difference.

gazingblue

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 11:05 pm
So happy for these ideas. Thanks and pls keep 'em coming.

Daisydoodler, do you think the cookies are enough nutrition for the kids for school days breakfast?

Kitkat, would you mind posting the recipe for your salad?
Thanks.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 11:09 pm
My toddler and I like these for lunch. You can leave out the pepperoni like I do or use the soy products.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-a.....bites

Lgold

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:06 am
http://www.leahcookskosher.com.....e=298

yeeway

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:14 am
I make a one tray dinner- chicken, onions, and quinoa.
I spice the chicken and put some water over the quina. The quinoa takes the flavor of the chicken and is delish andd really healthy!!

gazingblue

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:26 am
Op here...so aren't there different kinds of quinoa? When to use which type? What's the difference between them?

thanks

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:35 am
I put quinoa in soup. adds some texture and protein.

aebz

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 10:18 am
Simplest way I know to make quinoa is mix it with cucumbers and tomatoes (Israeli salad) and really good Italian dressing (I've tried the cheap ones - it ruins it).

Maybe its just my family but generally if you're making a quinoa salad type dish, make it moist! The only times my DH will like a quinoa dish is if its super saucy.

Use it like rice. I used to make a chickpea curry and top it over a little bit of quinoa. My DH is not a big quinoa fan, but he loved the chickpeas so he was happy.

In one of the kosher salad cookbooks, theres a great recipe for quinoa and black beans, let me know if you are interested in it

General tip: Make sure you buy one that's pre-washed (or wash it yourself)...it has a outside covering that is supposed to be super bitter.

When I buy quinoa, there are normally 2 types to buy, a green box and a red box. From what I've been told, the red type is for porridge, etc. I'm not sure if it tastes any different though because I always buy the green box.

rise above

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:10 am
I also just started on quinoa recently.
The two ways I like it:
1- I saute mushrooms and onions in a little olive oil with some salt and garlic and mix it into the quinoa. I melt some cheese on top and sometimes mix in a bit of pizza sauce. It is a YUMMY!, healthy, satisfying lunch for me.

2-I made this recipe:

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbps red wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce

added craisins and serve as a side dish with grilled chicken.

LO

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:23 am
rise above, how much quinoa did you use for the salad? It sounds really good and I would love to try it! Thanks for sharing! Smile

rise above

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:56 am
1 cup quinoa- 2 cups water.

And, I got the recipe from somewhere on Imamother, so thanks to whomever posted it!

LO

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 12:00 pm
did you by any chance ever freeze it? Thanks again!

browser

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 5:53 pm
I mix it into Israeli salad-
cucumber
tomato
lots of fresh parsley
lemon juice
olive oil
salt and pepper
I like the ratio of salad to quinoa to be about 50/50

anonymom

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:22 pm
rise above,
another question about your quinoa with craisins-Do you serve it hot, cold or room temp? It sounds so good!

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 9:26 pm
I use it as side dish instead of white rice. (Can be eaten with meatballs, chicken, fish- u name it!) Always rinse WELL before cooking quinoa! it will take away the bitterness and soften the flavor. There are many side dishes/salads that can be made with quinoa. One family favorite is Mexican quinoa salad.
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1.5 cups quinoa (cook and it will almost double- so really 2-3 cups)
4 sprigs fresh parsley
3 scallions
1 red bell pepper
Lime or lemon juice
dash of cumin
salt and pepper to taste
olive or veggie oil
black olives (optional)

chop all veggies finely, mix cooked quinoa with all ingredients. enjoy!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen