Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Alternative for cholent

amother

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 11:08 am
Any ideas? Either in the crocpot or blech. Preferably with out much potatoes and meat.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 11:38 am
sliced brisket at room temperature is quite delicious

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 12:03 pm
I make bake beans and sliced hotdogs. The kids love it. I roast the hotdogs first in the rotisserie. Slice them bite size. I open a can of baked beans and add the following: hoisin sauce, honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, garlic, worchestershire sauce.

amother

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 12:24 pm
Squishy wrote:
I make bake beans and sliced hotdogs. The kids love it. I roast the hotdogs first in the rotisserie. Slice them bite size. I open a can of baked beans and add the following: hoisin sauce, honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, garlic, worchestershire sauce.

Re Worcestershire sauce contains fish

theoneandonly

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:
Squishy wrote:

Re Worcestershire sauce contains fish

Some do, some don't. You need to check the brand you buy.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 2:57 pm
I do tebeet which is baked chicken with rice. Probably one of our shabbat favourite.
Also you can do meatballs in crockpot, beef goulash/stew, but then again you said not too much meat.
You can do more moroccan or tunisian style adafena, which has savory meatloaf with chopped herbs, chick peas, and usually beef flank/shins. You can make soup course as well as main course, which can be served with couscous cooked and warmed separately.

amother

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 8:40 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I do tebeet which is baked chicken with rice. Probably one of our shabbat favourite.
Also you can do meatballs in crockpot, beef goulash/stew, but then again you said not too much meat.
You can do more moroccan or tunisian style adafena, which has savory meatloaf with chopped herbs, chick peas, and usually beef flank/shins. You can make soup course as well as main course, which can be served with couscous cooked and warmed separately.

Can you please post some recipies? Specifically teebet!

amother

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 6:06 pm
Bump

watergirl

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 6:29 pm
I do chicken stew almost every Shabbos. Chicken legs with skin on (a must or the chicken will be too dry), red potatoes (in your OP you said not too many potatoes - just put as many as you want), mushrooms (we like lots), lots of chopped carrots, onions... 1 small can tomato paste, water, garlic and onion powder, cover with water and cook stove top for a few hours, then put on the blech before Shabbos and enjoy for Shabbos lunch. And we eat the leftovers during the week (if there are any!)

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 2:41 pm
Here you go. It's at the bottom of the thread.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ebeet

I tend to use persian rice. Although I originally wrote no basmati, you can use basmati (but it comes out softer). You can mix brown nice which gets less mushy but you need to pre-soak well.

For the meat stuffing, you can use (uncooked) sausage meat mix.

Duggie

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 4:07 pm
my husband doesn't like the traditional cholent so I put in some flanken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, onions and most importantly GRATED POTATOES (AND OR CARROTS) it does the most amazing job in giving a body to turn it from a soupy stew to fulll bodied cholent like dish that isn't quite like cholent but seriously delicous.

make sure to cover with water, add ketchup, dry red wine, and you'll be astounded.

amother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 4:16 pm
Duggie wrote:
my husband doesn't like the traditional cholent so I put in some flanken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, onions and most importantly GRATED POTATOES (AND OR CARROTS) it does the most amazing job in giving a body to turn it from a soupy stew to fulll bodied cholent like dish that isn't quite like cholent but seriously delicous.

make sure to cover with water, add ketchup, dry red wine, and you'll be astounded.

Is this in the crockpot?

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
Duggie wrote:

Is this in the crockpot?

If yes when do you put it up? Hi? Low? Tia!

sunflower_seed

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 5:22 pm
op try googling chicken plov
I make it sometimes
its so easy and you can put it on the plata shabbos day as its all solid.
I take brown rice and it works fine as well.

here is our basic recipe

1 chicken or chicken parts or fillet
half of garlic
2 onions
3-4 carrots
about 3-4 cups of rice (any rice would work except for basmati)
rosmarine
pepper
laurel
salt, pepper

fry chicken in a pan (high heet, about 4-5 minutes, doesnt have to be ready to eat)
take out
in the SAME pan put onions, garlic, carrots (all very fine sliced- in squares) fry for about 10 minutes
take the veggies mixtures from the pan and put onto the bottom of large pot
put chicken on top of it
put rice on top of it
put rosmarine and larel leaves (4-5) on top of it

cover with water, so that the rice is not completely covered
cover the pot
let cook on high heat for 10 minutes
put on low heat
check whether additional water is needed (take a spoon or knife and carefully check till the bottom if theres enough water)
add water if needed
let cook for another half hour
you dont have to add water all the time but be sure it doesnt burn and rice has taken in enough water.

take off heat and let cool a little (pot still covered).
now you can stir the plov for the first time.

I dont like plov with beef but looooove it with chicken.
so you can do it with beef as well, obviously.

bon appetit!

sunflower_seed

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 5:23 pm
oh- important, the water to cover the rice should be boiling hot, not cold.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen