Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Travling tips

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, May 14 2005, 11:51 pm
seeing that alot of people went on plane trips with their babies, why not share what worked and what didn't with their babies.

my way there was much harder as sz only slept 5 out of the 20 hours of traveling time...12 of those hours were night time so I was completely out of it..

but bh for thae way back henya suggested a wonderful homeopathic remedy called sulphur 200 which worked like a charm..for the first flight he slept 7 of the 10 hours and the nest flight he slept 3 of the 6 hours..so he got his good night sleep and some of a nap.

I brought so many toys and books but they didn't grab his attention, he just loved walking back and forth through the aisles..

anyone have a good ideas for the ears, cause he wasn't to comfortable in that department

girliesmommy

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 1:59 am
Quote:
henya suggested a wonderful homeopathic remedy called sulphur 200 which worked like a charm

Can you post some more info about this remedy? I'm heading out on a LONG flight with a toddler... anything will help!

girliesmommy

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 1:59 am
Quote:
henya suggested a wonderful homeopathic remedy called sulphur 200 which worked like a charm

Can you post some more info about this remedy? I'm heading out on a LONG flight with a toddler... anything will help!

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 4:26 am
I always try to get a night flight so my kids usually sleep the whole way. It works everytime. just maybe once I had a problem maybe cause one of my kids were uncomfortable so she made the others miserable. the plane was packed so instead of getting a bulk seat like we always get we got regular seats a disaster I must say. I had the baby at that time a month old sleeping on the table thats how bad it was.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:52 am
Try that medication out b/4 to c it even works b/c some can make them hyper!

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 10:00 am
just ask your homeopath or some pharmacies which sell homeopathic remedies for Sulphur 200. it should not have the opposite affect as does benadryl and regular "sleeping" pills for kids- or whatever people give to help kids sleep on planes. they come in little balls and taste good so the kids shouldn't complain. I was told to give 10 a few hours before the flight and then another 10 at the beginning of the flight.

timeout

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 1:35 pm
#1 tip get a straight flight we made 2 stops one in Madrid than Barcelona that was a very bad idea.

2. Make sure if you're bringing an under the age of 1 year old you try and get another seat for the baby, if the flight is not full as you check in u can ask for any extra seats and I've found they're very accomodating.

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 3:29 pm
If you're travelling with 2 kids under 2 and didn't buy seats for them, then you and DH can't sit in the same row, on the same side of the aisle . (there are 4 oxygen masks for 3 seats, if you and DH and the third stranger + 2 kids sit in same row, then there will be 5 people and only 4 masks). So we made sure to request aisle seats across from each other- so we were still in arms reach to exchange kids, food, bottles.... and didn't have someone between us (unless someone was walking through the aisle). It worked out pretty well.
To get the baby from the end of the jetway (where they take your stroller and put it underneath the plane) to our seats, I used a baby bjorn. That way my hands were free to carry/wheel the carry-on luggage.

supermom

Post Tue, May 17 2005, 2:47 am
the bulk seats are made for two infants and four sitting seats. the best thing that I have realized that helped me the most was to board the last on the plane so this way the kids don't get cranky and jittery until the plane starts to take off. especially with everyone passing the aisles and if the need to use the bathroom it gets harder if you are on the plane first.

raizy

Post Sun, May 22 2005, 1:16 am
I always ask for the bulkhead seat. I traveled to england from montreal with two kids under 1.5 yrs. o.k we were two adults. we always boarded first. and sometimes if the gate is very far from the check in point then the airline usally gets u a golf cart to sit there while they take u to the gate. so just imagine 2 babies,2 infant seat/car seats, 2 strollers 2 adults and a million bags. etc. all in one golf cart.

IndyMom

Post Sun, May 22 2005, 10:10 am
This trip we traveled from chicago to Israel with a 2 year odl and a 3 year old, so they each had their own seats. Toy's didn't hold their attention, but I brought tons of paper, stickers, crayons, rubber stamps, playdough, kids scissors (yes they let that on), tape and other crafty things, we pulled down their tray, and they were entertained for hours! I took out one thing at a time and it occupied them for a while. Another thing - I put all the crayons and little things like that in a mesh pencil case, attached some elastic to it, and swung it over the tray clip in front of me so I could access everything easily that they would need. Elastic is also good, if your traveling with young. You cna get a long peice of elastic from a fabric store and attach their bottles, pacifiers, etc to the seat arm - then you aren't fishing for it when you need it. One thing I didn't find, that I thought would be good, was those cardboard cut outs with holes that you sew yarn through. I really think that when they have something that they have to concentrate on, they focus and it keeps them occupied longer then a simple toy. For the way home we found shoelace string adn large wooden beads (non choking hazard) - the ones we found were shaped like fruit - and the kids made necklaces. They loved it - especially the 2 year old.

stem

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 9:52 pm
Indymom, I used your idea of tying everything down when we went on a 10 hour road trip recently. THANK YOU!!! I wonder why I never thought of it before? In fact, it's been more than a month already, and the toys are still attached to their car seats, dangling down on ribbons in case they get bored in the car.

Rivk

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 9:55 pm
I was wondering about that. Do you think it may be a strangulation hazard? Even if not, I could see my son getting all frustrated if the strings/ ribbons would get tangeled up.

stem

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:00 pm
I cut the ribbons so that they were not long enough to get around their head, just long enough to hold and play with comfortably. Yes, they sometimes got tangled up, but I'd rather detangle them once in a while then throw out my back trying to find and reach all their stuff on the floor of the back seat for ten hours.

Also, as soon as they were done with something, they threw it back down, so the strings weren't really near their necks at all.

Rivk

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:09 pm
LOL LOL LOL sorry - you made me laugh with the image of you craning around the seat to retrieve toys! LOL I know the feeling!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 11:30 pm
what do you do with a 1 year old (13 months) on a flight NY - E"Y (with a stop in switzerland).
He'll want to crawl/cruise around the entire plane -- I don't think the flight attendents will like that!

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 11:33 pm
Try the sulphur, it really worked.

the flight attendants may not like it, but I am sure they are used to it, as there are many families who travel.

and tell me : who is gonna get mad at a cute baby?? Wink they should be understanding.

1stimer

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 3:31 pm
Find out which airlines are kid friendly. El Al are.

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 3:39 pm
1stimer wrote:
Find out which airlines are kid friendly. El Al are.

they yelled at me when my (then) 9 month old was crawling the aisles.

1stimer

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 4:12 pm
oh. I had a really good experience with them...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics