Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Info about communities near YU

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 9:50 pm
I know this is short notice, but it seems like my Husband will be attending YU for this fall semester (end of August).
we currently do not live in the tri state area, and I really dont knwo much about the area.
we live out of town, and like that type of community. we're not yeshivish, chassidish or MO. I guess we are somewhere in the middle (colored shirts black hat on shabbos that kind of thing)..
can anyone please recommend places that would be suitable for us that not to long of a commute for him?
I know Washington heights is right there- but whats that like?
thanks so much:)

b from nj

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 9:54 pm
Most married YU couples who are still attending YU live in the YU couples' apartments. I'm sure they would meet your needs & be very convenient for your husband. Also, YU has students who range from RWMO or Yeshivish to LWMO students so you will hopefully find couples that you connect with in the apartments. There is also the Breuers community on the other part of town but it's probably most convenient to live closer to campus.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 9:58 pm
You can try Bergenfield/ Teaneck which is a real YU community.
Might enjoy davening at R. Sobolovsky, R. Neuberger
community ranges from more modern orthodox (parents send to Yavneh) to more right wing (parents send to RYNJ ) There are those who wear black hats on Shabbos and colored shirts.

Might look into Passaic. Check out two shuls - Agudah and R. Daniel Stein's shul on Passaic Ave. Both are Right wing YU shuls - most men wear colored shirts during the week, work, learn, and black hats on Shabbos. R. Stein's shul tends to have a younger crowd (ie. no kids over the age of eight or so) and Agudah already has many parents who have made Bar Mitzvahs for their kids and are beginning to see weddings of their children.

chatouli

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 10:00 pm
Bergenfield or maybe New Milford. Not too far from YU and probably your type.

b from nj

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 10:05 pm
The YU apartments are much more affordable than anything you would find in New Milford or Bergenfield & if he's attending YU as an undergrad, he's probably much better off living in the Heights rather than shlepping back to NJ after classes that end late at night..

syrima

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 11:15 am
another vote for the YU housing - DH should be able to request it.
There are a few buildings right on campus that are mostly jewish - lots of YU grad and undergrads - very friendly. PM me for more info.

abby1776

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 11:18 am
There are two areas of Washington Heights. The area around YU and the area around Bennett Avenue. There are plenty of YU couples in both areas and there is a YU run shuttle from Bennett Avenue to YU.

The area in between is heavily hispanic/dominican and has gentrified quite a bit in recent years, so you probably could walk between the two without a problem in daylight these days, not so sure at nighttime.

wiki

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 11:28 am
Washington Heights is a vibrant and fun Jewish community, and it's a really convenient and affordable place to live. Many people find the neighborhood friendly, although some don't--but you'd have that same situation in Passaic or Bergenfield also. And in those communities, you'd probably need a car. In the Heights, many people don't have/need cars. Although if you need a two bedroom and a car and nanny, some people have found life in Passaic to be cheaper than life in the Heights. I think it depends on people's personal arrangements.

YU couples live on both the YU side and the Bennett/Breuers side of the Heights, and on the YU side they live in both student housing and apartments they find on their own, but mostly in the same half-dozen buildings or so. The YU side is generally a fair amount cheaper than the Bennett side. Between the two sides of the community, there is a very large spectrum of observance and if your husband will be a student, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting in. The more Yeshivish YU students are usually found on the YU side (with exceptions), and on the Bennett side the more Yeshivish crowd is frequently affiliated with Breuers/KAJ. The Bennett side is a larger community.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:05 pm
We lived a YU apartment when we were first married, they are much cheaper than a nonyu apartment. The only problem is that the OP needs a place to live ASAP and the wait list is normally several months and right now is the most popular time to get an apartment. A friends sister has been on the wait list for around 6 months and as of a few weeks ago has not yet been offered an apartment.

That being said, the YU community is a transient community few couples stay more than a few years. If you want a community that you can stay in long term I would not recommend Washington Heights. Also, if either of you did not grow up in the tristate area or don't already know a lot of people living in Washington Heights you may find it takes awhile to meet people.

Runner18

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:19 pm
PM me if you want info about Riverdale. It's north of Washington Heights (YU is 180th street and Riverdale is 230's-240's streets).

Riverdale is made up three smaller communities--
RJC- Young Israel type, mix of MO to more right-winged but few black hats in shul
HIR- Avi Weiss's shul, more liberal, doesn't sound like your speed
Young Israel- Rav Willig is the rabbi and it is a Yeshivish crowd, many black hats.
Chabad- I don't know much about it but I've heard it's very warm and friendly there.

There also some shteebl's in the area. Rav Mayer Twersky has a shteebel in North Riverdale. (240's)

Riverdale can be more affordable than the Heights and is a nice place if you need to stick around for a few years. The Heights is super transient.

School-wise people send all over- Teaneck, Manhattan, Westchester......

shnitzel

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 12:44 pm
Do you have kids?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 1:08 pm
I lived on the YU side when dh was in college there. Don't bother going through YU housing- they take a long time and you're probably too late. Just call up the management of some of the buildings to see if they have vacancies. Our building was majority Hispanic with just a few YU couples but it was fine. The biggest downside was making friends. I pretty much never made more than an acquaintance. If you didn't go to stern, you're mostly an outsider. Everyone knows each other from their YU/stern days and if you didn't go to college there well good luck making friends.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating