Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What can I use to relieve itching from mosquito bites?

whirlwind

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 9:54 pm
Has anyone used a specific ointment or spray that actually helped with the itch? My girls are getting bitten terribly. they are both uncomfortable and my 3 YO keeps waking up from the itching. Would love to know if there's a product others have found helpful before I buy out the shelf in my drugstore...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 9:55 pm
Calamine lotion is supposed to help.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:04 pm
Google- avon. Skin so soft

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:06 pm
I keep After Bite in the house and in my purse for DD. She's got sensitive skin, so I don't like to put anything too chemical on her. The kids version of After Bite contains baking soda, aloe vera and tea tree oil, so it's pretty harmless.

I also keep a boo boo buddy ice pack in the freezer that DD can easily reach herself. If she ices the bite soon after she gets it, then it doesn't bother her as much.

mommy24

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:08 pm
benadryl makes a gel that really works for my kids.

link

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:16 pm
My pediatrician says that 1% cortisone sold OTC is way too weak to do any damage, and I find it works better than anything else.

September June

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:17 pm
Mix baking soda with a bit of water to form a paste. Rub it on the bite.

Happy18

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:19 pm
I use the burt's bees stuff. It takes a few minutes to start working but once it does the itch is gone.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:21 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I keep After Bite in the house and in my purse for DD. She's got sensitive skin, so I don't like to put anything too chemical on her. The kids version of After Bite contains baking soda, aloe vera and tea tree oil, so it's pretty harmless.

I also keep a boo boo buddy ice pack in the freezer that DD can easily reach herself. If she ices the bite soon after she gets it, then it doesn't bother her as much.

I don't think I'd use it on a kid that young, but the regular version of After Bite is a-mazing. Its primarily ammonia, so it stings quite a lot, but then, itch gone.

ElTam

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 10:53 pm
I put on campo-phenique, let it dry, then put on a cortisone creme on top. DD#2's bites get out of control.

healthywoman

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:19 pm
Caladry clear

mother of boyz

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:21 pm
I just read that nail polish applied on the bite helps. I did that when I got all bitten the itching stopped right away, after like a day the bite was gone

Etonnemoi

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 1:39 am
toothpaste.

Honestly! (Works well with developing pimples too - leave until dried, reapply if necessary, then pop pimple. It draws out pus.)

Sorry if TMI.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 1:52 am
Another vote for toothpaste!
But it must be mint - not the kiddie flavoured types.

BTW to prevent being bitten at night, keep a fan on in your bedroom. It doesn't have to be blowing on you, just anywhere near where you are sleeping. Mosquitos are unable to fly properly if the air is being disturbed.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 2:33 am
Yep, white toothpaste (not gel).

Mix with a little witch hazel if you want.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 2:46 am
Dead Sea mud works better than anything I've ever tried. It stings for about two seconds, and then the bite is gone forever. Just dab on a tiny bit, and let it dry until it falls off on it's own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics