Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What do you think of this?
Previous  1  2

mumsy23

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:19 pm
mumoo wrote:
It's nice to see your sensitive side, seven.
However, I don't think its all that great for chinuch reasons. I remember Shalhevet once saying that if you give your children chocolate milk all week, it's not a Shabbos treat. Along those lines, I've been to Bar Mitzvahs where I can't help but wonder, how will they top this for the chassuna?

Imho, a 6 year old can appreciate a birthday party with friends, ice cream sundaes and games or a craft project.

This IS a party with sundaes and games/craft project. What is so fancy about the party? They just used a unique idea of making the theme wedding.
I understand what you are saying about having chocolate milk all week etc.. but this nothing like that. The little party in the picture is nothing like a real chasuna and the little girl knows that. Its not like from having this party with paper plates and pizza, she's going to enjoy her wedding any less, in fact, she's obviously a kid who's into weddings and her wedding is probably going to be the most exciting thing for her.
and about the bar mitzvah thing, that has no relation to this situation, the party itself wasn't so fancy or anything, they just used a wedding theme. As long as the wedding is in a hall with china and anything other then pizza and marshmellow hor dourves, its fancier that this kid's birthday party.

Some kids have elmo or princess themed parties, she had a wedding themed party - its cute!

mumof1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:26 pm
I think its cute. I do think posting it on only simchas is a bit over the top.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:30 pm
There is a Chabad house near us that has a mock wedding with college students. They have a bedeken, chupah, and a lavish reception. If a mistake is made during the "ceremony with the ring, this can only lead to big problems for the boy and girl. I personally think a mock wedding it is not a good idea at all. This b-day party was way over the top. If the little girls loves weddings so much, they could have had decorations, a wedding cake, and put her in a pretty dress! Posting on onlysimchas was ridiculous, especially under weddings!

healthymama

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 4:25 pm
Quote:
I know they are little, Maybe it wasn't true, but I once heard of two kids who were in a play, boy and girl over bar mitzvah and in the play he gave her a ring and she needed a get and was considered divorced.

this happened in our school in junior high. A guy gave a girl a ring for fun and said the harei at phrase, as a joke. I'm pretty sure they had to have a full divorce with a beis din and everything.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 9:22 am
K I looked at the pictures and the first thing I thought of is what is with all these themed childrens birthday parties? Are birthday parties for little children the next thing that are going to get out of hand? Is everyone going to have to out-do each other on their kids birthday parties now?
I never had themed birthday parties! And I have very fond memories!
What happened to good old fashioned pizza and b-day cake? All your little friends gather round to watch you blow out the candles! Wasn't that fun? Is that not good enough anymore??

BP MOM

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:04 am
This kallah doesnt seem too happy at all, I think shes being forced into this marriage. Nebech!!! LOL

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:10 am
mumoo wrote:
I know they are little, Maybe it wasn't true, but I once heard of two kids who were in a play, boy and girl over bar mitzvah and in the play he gave her a ring and she needed a get and was considered divorced.

I don't know if that ever really happend, but it's often repeated. IT was a famous story by Israel Zangwill.

mumsy23

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
There is a Chabad house near us that has a mock wedding with college students. They have a bedeken, chupah, and a lavish reception. If a mistake is made during the "ceremony with the ring, this can only lead to big problems for the boy and girl. I personally think a mock wedding it is not a good idea at all. This b-day party was way over the top. If the little girls loves weddings so much, they could have had decorations, a wedding cake, and put her in a pretty dress! Posting on onlysimchas was ridiculous, especially under weddings!

I don't get is, so is the only problem that they posted on onlysimchas?? because it was just decorations, a wedding cake, and put her in a pretty dress! what was so over the top? They probably that it would be funny to post on onlysimchas, like a joke, remember joke? Ha, ha? Funny? no? okay.

I'm still confused about what was so over the top about this party? So what if the mother put a little more effort in to make a theme - she probably had fun doing it. Yes, kids will be just as happy without a theme, but so what, the parents had a good time putting it together and the kids did to - why are we being so judgemental about this?

mumoo

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 12:53 pm
healthymama wrote:
Quote:

this happened in our school in junior high. A guy gave a girl a ring for fun and said the harei at phrase, as a joke. I'm pretty sure they had to have a full divorce with a beis din and everything.

oy vey

mumoo

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 12:57 pm
chavamom wrote:
mumoo wrote:

I don't know if that ever really happend, but it's often repeated. IT was a famous story by Israel Zangwill.

healthymama wrote:

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics