Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to help my daughter learn times tables

junam

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 6:29 pm
This summer I want to focus on revising the times tables with my 9 year old who finds it hard to remember her times tables. Do you have any ideas on how to do this? I'm just not that creative unfortunately..

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 6:41 pm
Car trips are ideal, as she's not able to walk away. For fun, give her flashcards to quiz you, too. She'll learn just as effectively being the teacher.

Put 3 math problems on the fridge, and she has to say the problem and the answer (3x3 is 9, 2x8 is 16, etc) before taking out food or drink. Switch problems daily, and offer praise and little prizes for success.

Make up fun songs or rhymes, or look up what others have made, and play them regularly.

There are some fun computer games that offer drill, too.

Hatzlacha, and have fun!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 6:58 pm
A poster showing the times tables as a grid, in her room might be useful.

http://www.google.com/#sclient.....h=692

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multip.....KZM5E

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 7:30 pm
they make the times table into songs for tapes or CDs. play it in the car every day until she memorizes it, she will!

Barbara

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 7:51 pm
Times Tales

http://www.amazon.com/Times-Ta.....02441

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 8:18 pm
Not the complete set but maybe something I can share that helped my DS.

9 times table: with both palms facing you, start counting multiplier from the left thumb. For 9x1 you fold left thumb, 9x2 you fold left index finger... till 9x9 when you fold right index finger. The number of fingers to the left represent ten digit, the number of fingers to the right represent one unit.

It's a bit hard to explain, but for 9x5, you fold down left pinkie (FIFTH finger counting from the left). You'll have four fingers to the left, five fingers to the right, so it's 45. Similarly, for 9x7, you fold down right ring finger. You'll have six fingers to the left, 3 to the right, ie 63.

Not a complete table, but 8x8 is "I ate, and I ate, till I'm sick on the floor" (8x8 = 64).

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 9:05 pm
I learned mine by reciting them as a jump rope rhyme. my dad had me jump rope in the kitchen while we recited it together until I got it. I was obsessed with jumping rope at that age, so it worked well. if she likes to play those bouncing ball games (like "a my name is...") that involve passing a foot over the ball, you can have her recite them while bouncing and pass her foot over at the end of each equation.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 07 2013, 9:20 pm
I used to sing them with DS#1. It worked.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 12:09 am
You can find some good songs on youtube. Schoolhouse rock is up there, I don't love their times tables songs as much as some others, but it's something if you're not the singing type yourself.

If you have an iphone, ipad, or similar device there are some really fun, free apps for practicing. More engaging than flash cards, if needed.

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 12:10 am
I worked out song and dance motions to learn the times tables with my daughter. I also bought multiplication bingo and played for candy with her friends.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 9:01 am
first she needs to understand the concept of multiplication. 2x5 reads 2 GROUPS OF 5. show her with groups of beads or beans.
then she should practice skip counting by 2 (or just double the number), 3's and 4's and 5's (like the clock) till she knows it cold. she can use a hundred number chart and lift a finger every time she skips to a new number. so for 3's, she lifts a finger when she says 3, 6, 9, she will have 3 fingers up showing that she counted three GROUPS OF 3.
for 6,7,8 combinations there are small rhymes to help you remember like a poster above mentioned. 9 table is one less on the other number and the difference of the other number and 10. 3x9 is one less than 3 (2) and from 3 to 10 is (7) answer is 27. 11 is double the number and for 12 she should count by twelves and lift fingers as in 3,4, and 5 tables.

Yael

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 5:00 pm
I was asked to post this helpful message by someone who is not eligible to be a member of Imamother.
Quote:
When my son had great difficulty learning times tables, I developed an innovative learning method that builds on visual memory strengths. My son had times tables memorized in a couple of weeks and never forgot them. Since then, I have published the method in a book that has helped children and adults memorize times tables easily and remember them for good, without endless drills and practice. And because it is simple and visual, children actually "enjoy" learning them, so you do not have to coax and find a game that they like in order to practice and help them learn.

I have no doubt that your daughter will master this crucial math skill quickly and you will both enjoy a wonderful summer. The book is See and Learn Multiplication By Heart (ISBN 978-09733209-0-9) and is sold on Amazon.com. I welcome your feedback, comments and success stories about this times tables learning method. You can reach me at lucie.cossette@multidifference.com.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children