Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Healthy Purim menu.

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 11:17 pm
I'm definitely not a healthy eater. I'm having a guest who doesn't eat white flour, sugar, margerine and I'm not sure what else.
I need suggestions of healthy food I can make for Shobbos/Purim thats great tasting.

Esther01

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:48 am
does she eat honey?

my mother makes the traditional shabbos menu with healthy ingrediance, like spelt flour, honey, organic eggs, olive oil, sea salt etc.

good luck.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:55 pm
Is she bringing anything?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:21 pm
You can make:
ratatouille
brown rice with mushrooms
roasted chicken with herbs
salads

mumof1

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 3:22 pm
potato kugel, stir fry, whole brown rice is delicious with sauteed vegetables, chicken soup, sesame salmon.
ill keep thinking

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 4:19 pm
You for sure can go veggie. Do you like squash?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 4:22 pm
Chanie wrote:
I'm definitely not a healthy eater. I'm having a guest who doesn't eat white flour, sugar, margerine and I'm not sure what else.
I need suggestions of healthy food I can make for Shobbos/Purim thats great tasting.

Oy, I had a guest like this recently.

Whatever I made for shabbos, I just made for him - but plain. I made him plain chicken (with herbs) and cole slaw and salad (vinaigrettes with no sugar) It might be a good idea to start off with a nice soup - that usually fills people up. As a side - you can try brown rice - but if he is on a no carb diet he probably won't eat the rice - so just fill him up on salads.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 4:27 pm
make whole wheat challah w/honey
kasha
sautee' vegetables - like mushrooms with stringbeans or the such
broiled chicken
baked pear/apple w/cin

withhumor

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 5:52 pm
Quote:
ratatouille

OMG that made me drool all of a sudden, I have this memory of my Hungarian grandmother cooking up something out of this world (as usual0 and calling it ratatouille HELP what is it?

Milk Munch

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:40 pm
I basically cook like that all the time. Its really not that hard.
A few ideas (as long as my baby lets me type).
Sweet potatoes-sliced, drizzle with a little oil, and some garlic powder and salt. Bake until the edges are all browned. so yummy we fight over them (even my little boys)..........

Rice or millet- cook and then drizzle with olive oil and a small amount of curry and/ or cumin, salt , turmeric, and garlic. Throw in a bag of defrosted peas.
Chicken or salmon- make a rub of crushed garlic, olive oil, salt, fresh ground pepper and paprika. Rub it on and let it marinate before cooking.

Barley- slice ( or chop in machine) a ton of mushrooms onions and garlic. sautee (the longer the better). Season with salt and pepper. Mix with cooked barley. Intensely delicious!
Beets- bake tightly covered in 400 oven. Let cool covered. Peel, dice. Season with garlic powder, salt , pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Naturally sweet!!
Turnips- peel and slice thinly. Toss with olive oil, salt, garlic and pepper. Bake on cookie sheet in oven, stirring occasionaly until browned edges. Turnips can be sweet!!
my baby says my time is up...hope these ideas help
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus