Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Want to help start an anglo moshav?!
1  2  3  Next

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:43 am
I should probably be posting this in the Israel section but I was long ago banned from there for my rants against a certain town for it's handling of the pedophile issue.

So let me post this here.

We are thinking about starting a moshav of anglos and english speakers.

The moshav would be in the darom (south), near beer sheva, and not over the green line.

Any comments, and/or anyone interested? What do you think? Any advice or anyone with experience in starting a moshav?

SJcookie

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:52 am
That depends. Will it be a charedi moshav? (just kidding chani Tongue Out)

Moshavim can be really cool. I once spent Shabbat in Moshav Bnei Darom (the one that produces those yummy pickles/olives).
It sounds like a nice idea. Good luck with it!

5*Mom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:54 am
I wish you luck and success, but after your recent post about why it's great to live among Israelis, which made a lot of good sense, I'm surprised to hear this from you. Why davka Anglo?

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:09 am
Sounds like a cool idea. Not relevant to me...my family isn't anglo, and we're pretty settled where we are - but a cool idea nonetheless.

I think this would be a process of years, though. You'd have to gather enough anglos who want to live on a moshav, and in the darom. Would you start a moshav from scratch, or move to an existing one? Would you encourage any anglos to join, or are you just interested in dati ones?

It's an interesting concept, since AFAIK the only kind of anglo moshavim that exist right now are either very expensive, or up north (and the latter aren't really that anglo).

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:14 am
chani, I also think it is a cool idea but we are BH very happy where we are and would not want to live in the south so it would not be relevant to us, but an interesting idea non the less.
I do know of someone who is trying to do something like this in the golan, I forgot where exactly, but also trying to get anglos who are already in israel and people thinking of aliyah.

But chani, I am also interested in knowing why you would want a purely anglo community. I live in a yishuv that has many anglos and we like that, but we have israeli neighbors and live among hebrew speakers and I would not want it any other way.

What advantages do you see in living only among anglos/english speakers? (personally I dont see any advantages to not having israelis with anglos together, but thats me)

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:16 am
5*Mom wrote:
I wish you luck and success, but after your recent post about why it's great to live among Israelis, which made a lot of good sense, I'm surprised to hear this from you. Why davka Anglo?

I know, it seems contradictory. But I really mean (and said), I want it to be english speaking. Culturally, I prefer a mix. But if I'm going to move to a moshav, I've got to be able to communicate with everyone and on a deep level, and I'm just simply not able to in Hebrew. I want the group activities to be in English. What can I say, I'm language delayed. If I am going to be part of a (small) community, I have to be able to communicate well. I think.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:17 am
Rabbi Daniel Moskowitz, the principal of the alternative homeschool type yeshiva my son was in, is planning something like this in the north, near Teveria.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:19 am
chani8 wrote:
5*Mom wrote:

I know, it seems contradictory. But I really mean (and said), I want it to be english speaking. Culturally, I prefer a mix. But if I'm going to move to a moshav, I've got to be able to communicate with everyone and on a deep level, and I'm just simply not able to in Hebrew. I want the group activities to be in English. What can I say, I'm language delayed. If I am going to be part of a (small) community, I have to be able to communicate well. I think.
But chani you can be part of a larger mixed community and befriend the english speakers. I am in a yishuv, as I said, with hebrew, english, french, spanish, russian spoken. Most of my friends are english speakers and there are english "activities" here as well as other languages as well. If you want english, it does not mean that you have to only have english.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:29 am
Rav Bulman tried this years ago, no?

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:31 am
Let me clarify that I want it to be english speakers, so that the activities can be in english. Should I just stop saying, "anglos"?

Thanks for the questions, everyone.

I like the idea of a mixed group, but I'm not sure just how mixed. Any opinions?

I wonder how it works out to be mixed non-religious with religious? I live in a neighborhood like that, but that's different than a moshav.

Is it better that at least everyone is shomer shabbat? How does a shul manage if there is a mix?

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:32 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chani8 wrote:
5*Mom wrote:

But chani you can be part of a larger mixed community and befriend the english speakers. I am in a yishuv, as I said, with hebrew, english, french, spanish, russian spoken. Most of my friends are english speakers and there are english "activities" here as well as other languages as well. If you want english, it does not mean that you have to only have english.

Except the important issues are discussed in English.

ChaiAhava

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:32 am
If you were doing this in the US I would definitely join in. How do you start a Moshav, is it possible to start one in the US? Any ideas?

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:38 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Rabbi Daniel Moskowitz, the principal of the alternative homeschool type yeshiva my son was in, is planning something like this in the north, near Teveria.

Surely he's charedi?

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:44 am
I'm not interested so much in the social aspects of an anglo community. It's when there are issues about how high to put the mechitza, for instance, that I want in on the discussion. Half the time I dont even know there is an issue on the table, because I missed the notices in hebrew. And while I can speak well enough in hebrew to get my point across, often the hebrew goes too high for me to understand what others are saying. That is so frustrating for me, because as you know about me, I am opinionated. LOL

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:52 am
chani8 wrote:
Let me clarify that I want it to be english speakers, so that the activities can be in english. Should I just stop saying, "anglos"?

Thanks for the questions, everyone.

I like the idea of a mixed group, but I'm not sure just how mixed. Any opinions?

I wonder how it works out to be mixed non-religious with religious? I live in a neighborhood like that, but that's different than a moshav.

Is it better that at least everyone is shomer shabbat? How does a shul manage if there is a mix?
there are moshavim/yishuvim that are mixed religious and not.

also, im sure you could have some activities in english, but to have exclusive in english activites, if you have non english speakers, unless this was a decision that they wanted this too, it would never work.

Here is an example of a mixed yishuv: http://www.hrhevron.co.il/?CategoryID=159

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 10:54 am
chani8 wrote:
I'm not interested so much in the social aspects of an anglo community. It's when there are issues about how high to put the mechitza, for instance, that I want in on the discussion. Half the time I dont even know there is an issue on the table, because I missed the notices in hebrew. And while I can speak well enough in hebrew to get my point across, often the hebrew goes too high for me to understand what others are saying. That is so frustrating for me, because as you know about me, I am opinionated. LOL
So again, you dont need an exclusive anglo/english speaking moshav. I have almost all english speaking friends and some know no hebrew and others know a lot. For those that dont follow the hebrew, we share things that are for example in the weekly newsletter or a shiur that may be in hebrew, we can explain.
Nobody is missing important information because of their lack of hebrew. We all help each other.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 11:14 am
Why Adora?

Moshav Ma'on has a few English speakers and most Israelis on our moshav speak English too. Everyone here is shomer Torah u mitzvot of many different streams. You are welcome to visit!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 11:19 am
In the kitchen wrote:
Why Adora?

Moshav Ma'on has a few English speakers and most Israelis on our moshav speak English too. Everyone here is shomer Torah u mitzvot of many different streams. You are welcome to visit!
I was giving an example of a mixed religious / not religious Yishuv. I have a family member living there.

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 11:44 am
We actually considered Adora, but it's over the line and for work reasons, we cannot go over the line.

I'm going to google maon. Thanks!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 11:53 am
chani8 wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Surely he's charedi?

The idea is a relaxed place where frum Anglos can feel comfortable even if they don't define themselves with the Chareidi label. His alternative yeshiva is for boys who don't fit in the Israeli Chareidi box.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions