Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Ottawa

little_mage

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 7:50 am
My husband is attending a conference in Ottawa this weekend, and we're all going along. I'll have two days (Thursday and Friday) to do stuff in the area with my two year old, and then Shabbat. Having done some research, I'm thinking we'll go to Saunders Farm one of the days. Any suggestions for the other? I have a two year old who likes to run around, so I'm thinking museums aren't the best idea (no National Gallery or Parliament Houses, boo).

We'll be staying downtown, so my husband can walk to the university on Shabbat. Does anyone know what the status of the eruv there is, and what my son and I can do on Shabbat? I'm kind of dreading it, I admit. Also, food recommendations welcome!

TIA!

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 8:18 am
Google "Ottawa Eruv"; there's a map on Google Maps and IIRC there's a website link with the current status as well. (There IS an eruv in Ottawa; I'm not 100% sure what areas it covers.)

As for what to do, there's a petting zoo, a children's museum...if you want to PM me I will ask my Ottawa friend what her boys' favourites are.

little_mage

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 10:19 am
Thanks! I found a site with a lot of Jewish information, but I couldn't find a map of the big eruv. Maybe because not everyone holds by it? I'm more worried about Shabbat then the weekdays, since we'll have a car, so we can always find something to do.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 10:50 am
https://maps.google.co.il/maps.....um=10

Can you see this?

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:00 am
(The eruv does not appear to be anywhere near downtown.)

Oh, and if they still do the Changing of the Guard at Parliament Hill at 10:00 a.m. you can definitely take little kids to that.

http://jewishottawa.com/page.aspx?id=36421 (Kashrut info)

little_mage

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 11:30 am
The link in your first post takes me to a map of Israel. Is that what you meant to link to? I might go to the changing of the guard, but my two year old doesn't really hold still so much, so I'm a little leery of anything that requires simply watching. It sounds like fun for me, though! And thanks for the kashrut link.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 12:32 pm
Nope, it was a map of the eruv. google ottawa eruv map and you should get it too. The are two eruvs in ottawa, this is the one closer to downtown.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 8:45 pm
welcome to the nation's capital! Here's what kids in our community like doing:

The Experimental Farm -- yup, right in the middle of the city!
The Science and Technology Museum -- real trains you can climb in and out of, crazy house, lots of things for young kids
The Museum of Civilization has a special Children's Museum
The Museum of Aviation has lots of airplanes kids like!
You can rent bikes and ride all over on bike paths.

Have to suggest that you stay in the West End of Ottawa (the 85 bus goes right to universities) because on Shabbos you can daven at Young Israel on Kirkwood or Hillel Lodge (Shabbos day) or Chabad of Westboro at the Jewish Youth Library. There is also a Lakewood Kollel which is not in session right now. The JCC has an excellent library and especially children's books. And a great kosher fleishig place
As to the eruv, some hold by it, some don't.

If you have more questons then please post them.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 9:19 pm
If you need to be in walking distance of the university (you don't specify which one...that makes a difference!) I would recommend getting in touch with Rabbi Michael Goldstein, of The Glebe Shul. (http://www.glebeshul.com/)

He and his wife run a sort of kiruv community shul sort of thing with shabbos davening and seudos, etc. All out of their house in Westboro. They have lots of university students over on a regular basis and it may be worthwhile to see what they say in terms of eruv and whatnot (I think he may have built one in their immediate area; they have a baby...) I have no idea if they will even be there when you are, but they may have more connections for you.

He is a YU musmach and Ottawa native.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 9:52 pm
There is an eruv in Ottawa that covers most of the city, including downtown that some people hold by - others don't. The Glebe Shul that the last amother mentioned did not build its own eruv, but they hold by the full city eruv. There are a few smaller eruvim in the suburbs of the city that are universally accepted but no where near downtown. If you're staying downtown there used to be a very small downtown minyan that meets on Shabbat - I don't know if its still there. Otherwise your closest option is the young Israel on Kirkwood - likely an hour walk.

For the kids - Ottawa is a beautiful city with lots of great stuff to do outside.

Good luck & enjoy!

little_mage

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 8:44 am
I suppose it would make a difference which university; the conference is at the University of Ottawa. I think I'm going to send an email to the Glebe Shul as soon as I finish typing this. They look a lot more Friday night focused, which we tend not to do, especially since we'd like to keep the toddler on something approaching a normal schedule, but hopefully they can give me the information about the big eruv. I realize not everyone holds by it, but unless someone can give me a really good reason not to, we probably will, assuming we're in it at all. Also, the Science and Technology Museum sounds great, especially since my son has been really into vehicles lately. Thank you so much everybody. I really appreciate all the advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics