Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Need name of book

smilingmom

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 12:14 am
About a non frum man who examines frum life for a year.
Someone reccomended the book and I can't remember the name.
It has the word 'year' in title and perhaps the word 'journey'

Tia

Smiling Wife

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 12:44 am
I can't remember the name but the author was AJ Jacobs

gp2.0

Post Sun, Aug 04 2013, 12:46 am
The year of living biblically?

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 7:08 am
Thank you.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 10:29 am
It has nothing to do with frum life, though.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2013, 12:27 pm
oliveoil wrote:
It has nothing to do with frum life, though.

Having heard him at a book fair some years ago, who knows if some seeds toward consistent growth have been planted....

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 7:08 pm
this rings familiar - maybe they interviewed him on a talk show or something

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp

The Year of Living Biblically is about my quest to live the ultimate biblical life. To follow every single rule in the Bible – as literally as possible. I obey the famous ones:

The Ten Commandments
Love thy neighbor
Be fruitful and multiply

But also, the hundreds of oft-ignored ones.

Do not wear clothes of mixed fibers.
Do not shave your beard
Stone adulterers

Why? Well, I grew up in a very secular home (I’m officially Jewish but I’m Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant). I’d always assumed religion would just wither away and we’d live in a neo-Enlightenment world. I was, of course, spectacularly wrong. So was I missing something essential to being a human? Or was half the world deluded?

I decided to dive in headfirst. To try to experience the Bible myself and find out what’s good in it, and what’s maybe not so relevant to the 21st century.

The resulting year was fascinating, entertaining and informative. It was equal parts irreverent and reverent. It was filled with surprising insights almost every day. (I know it’s not biblical to boast, so apologies for that).

The book that came out of the year has several layers.

-An exploration of some of the Bible’s startlingly relevant rules. I tried not to covet, gossip, or lie for a year. I’m a journalist in New York. This was not easy.

--An investigation of the rules that baffle the 21st century brain. How to justify the laws about stoning homosexuals? Or smashing idols? Or sacrificing oxen? And how do you follow those in modern-day Manhattan?

--A look at various fascinating religious groups. I embedded myself among several groups that take the Bible literally in their own way, from creationists to snake handlers, Hasidim to the Amish.

--A critique of fundamentalism. I became the ultra-fundamentalist. I found that fundamentalists may claim to take the Bible literally, but they actually just pick and choose certain rules to follow. By taking fundamentalism extreme, I found that literalism is not the best way to interpret the Bible.

--A spiritual journey. As an agnostic, I’d never seriously explored such things as sacredness and revelation.

--A memoir of my family’s eccentric religious history, including my ex-uncle Gil, who has been, among other things, a Hindu cult leader, an evangelical Christian and an Orthodox Jew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room