Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
I have a weird head. If I wanted to cover my hair.....
Previous  1  2

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:20 pm
a custom well made wig does not look like a wig.

to the trained eye who knows to look for it- then yes of course you can tell.

the people I work with, go to college with, see on an everyday basis have absolutely no clue.

Once a coworker found out by accident (she saw me adjusting) and she jumped a mile high when she realized. What a compliment on my wig!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:43 pm
ysmommy wrote:

the people I work with, go to college with, see on an everyday basis have absolutely no clue.

Once a coworker found out by accident (she saw me adjusting) and she jumped a mile high when she realized. What a compliment on my wig!

I am glad for you but this is not what I asked. I would never wear a wig. Ever. I asked about scarves and hats.

timtam

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:19 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
ysmommy wrote:

I am glad for you but this is not what I asked. I would never wear a wig. Ever. I asked about scarves and hats.

Chanamiriam your original post did not say that you were not interested in wearing wigs. It asked how you could get 'anything' to stay on your head. You appear to be getting irritated with people who are giving suggestions regarding keeping a wig on your head. It was not clear in your original post that you are 'anti wig' and only interested in other types of coverings.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:49 pm
I love a wig I can wash myself in the sink. I love having so many I always have clean ones. You can, when they cost so little.

I also don't mind if people can tell I am wearing a wig if I know it looks good, because I am proud to wear one. It means I believe in something.

But wigs aren't for everybody. Tichels and hats look very good too.

And or course they should be washed daily or nearly daily.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:59 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
ysmommy wrote:

I wasnt responding to your question. I was responding to the statements made by various posters that a wig always looks like a wig.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:11 am
ysmommy wrote:
chanamiriam wrote:
ysmommy wrote:

I wasnt responding to your question. I was responding to the statements made by various posters that a wig always looks like a wig.

Yeah,that was me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:19 am
timtam wrote:
chanamiriam wrote:
ysmommy wrote:

Chanamiriam your original post did not say that you were not interested in wearing wigs. It asked how you could get 'anything' to stay on your head. You appear to be getting irritated with people who are giving suggestions regarding keeping a wig on your head. It was not clear in your original post that you are 'anti wig' and only interested in other types of coverings.

My mistake. I mentioned the things I am open to wearing but not that I was not open to other options.
I am not open to fake hair of any quality or description. I have migraines and sweat like a pig as well as being a super hot person in general. I work with food and cover my hair for that but continue to have hair cover falling off issues no matter what I wear. That means stopping every ten to twenty minutes, rearranging my head cover, washing my hands and doing it all again in ten minutes. It's how I know that I don't really want to cover my hair because it is stressful and annoying just doing it for work. Can't imagine having to do it all day every day. Wigs obviously won't work for me because of what I do. For the odd time I need a hat covering I am fine but wearing a covering all day every day would and in fact does make me crazy. I take it off as soon as I can.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:20 am
Oh yeah and I have also recently discovered the joy of hair nets. They are awesome for staying on and keeping hair out of food but not covering hair.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 2:12 am
Sounds challenging.

If you wear a contrasting color hairnet, one that is visible, maybe that counts, in your particular case, as covering your hair.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 2:34 am
Migraines are awful! I can't even imagine one while working in a hot environment with food. Sad Puke

I think it's great that you're even considering covering, seeing as how it is so hard for you.

Are there any women in your community who you would let play with your hair, help you tie a scarf, or let you try on their velvet wig grip? I wish I were near you, we could play dress up and see if anything works.

For myself, I don't hold by showing a tefach of hair, but there may be a way for you to wear something that doesn't come down all the way to your hairline, and will stay put with the right comb or band. An open weave tichel/hairnet type of covering is also something you could consider. Frummies might tell you you're not covering properly, but when it's your health, and you're trying so hard to do a mitzvah, this is definitely a case where I would tend to want to give someone chizzuk for any effort at all.

Hug

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 2:38 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Migraines are awful! I can't even imagine one while working in a hot environment with food. Sad Puke

I think it's great that you're even considering covering, seeing as how it is so hard for you.

Are there any women in your community who you would let play with your hair, help you tie a scarf, or let you try on their velvet wig grip? I wish I were near you, we could play dress up and see if anything works.

For myself, I don't hold by showing a tefach of hair, but there may be a way for you to wear something that doesn't come down all the way to your hairline, and will stay put with the right comb or band. An open weave tichel/hairnet type of covering is also something you could consider. Frummies might tell you you're not covering properly, but when it's your health, and you're trying so hard to do a mitzvah, this is definitely a case where I would tend to want to give someone chizzuk for any effort at all.

Hug
m

Thanks. I appreciate the support! I have tried before with friends and honestly I have bought so many things and so much I could have jut thrown the money directly into the garbage....
Same net effect!
J

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 2:50 am
chanamiriam wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:

Hug
m

Thanks. I appreciate the support! I have tried before with friends and honestly I have bought so many things and so much I could have jut thrown the money directly into the garbage....
Same net effect!
J

Yeah, that's why I suggested trying on other people's stuff. I have a small collection of tichels that won't stay on my slippery straight hair, or are made of material that is too silky, or just plain bug me. I have really pretty scarves that never seemed to work because the material was too slippery, and they are now part of DD's costume wardrobe.

My first sheitel was so heavy that it gave me terrible migraines if I wore it for more than two hours. I ended up cutting it up and making it into a fall to wear with some of my hats. $1,200, for a hat fall! (I used the scraps to make some clip in bangs, so I could change my look now and then.)

Sometimes I look at women in hijab, and think "That would probably be MUCH easier!"

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 3:02 am
To the OP, I have a large head, it is extremely hard for me to find any hats and barrettes that fit properly or at all.
I mostly just wear the cheap (about 10 or 15 shekel) mitpachot, the lightest kind (because I get migraines from heavy head wear).
I would also never wear a wig, ever, as a head covering (for a myriad of reasons) so that is not an answer for everyone.

I think the light mitpachot are a good answer and if they fall back or off, you can wear it with clips.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 5:35 am
Another huge-headed imamother member here. I do scarves (infinitely adjustable) or berets. You can tie them loosely and anchor with bobby pins.

Most hats squeeze my head.

kalsee

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 5:38 am
DrMom wrote:
Another huge-headed imamother member here. I do scarves (infinitely adjustable) or berets. You can tie them loosely and anchor with bobby pins.

Most hats squeeze my head.

It's not your head that's large- it's your hair Smile

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 8:02 am
I've never gotten on well with my shietal, it always feels like it is not on properly, coming off, falling forward or back.. and I've had it reshaped to my head a million times, tried with combs, without, with a wigigrip, with both combs and grip etc.

At the end of the day, it is just not my thing, and despite my MIL's dismay (even though she doesn't even cover her own hair!), I wear mitpachot.

Some can be uncomfortable if I'm trying a new way to wrap and get it a bit tight, but most are fine.

My most comfortable, without comparison, and what I live in are pretied bandanas.

I don't tie them up at the back, they don't slip off easily, and they look smarter and more fashionable than a snood.

I have quite a small head, but odd shape, I think, and this is the only thing that really works day in day out.

And I've never had a negative comment (except for my MIL, but I'm never going to please her until I'm a size 0, wear perfect make up 24/7, and spend my evenings at high brow theatre Wink )

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 8:07 am
Do people really wash their wig or tichel almost daily? I have never encountered the concept

fromnj

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:23 pm
For me, putting my hair in the right place under the tichel is a big thing. If my hair is too low, it pushes the tichel back, exposing my hairline, and also pulls on the hair in the front, giving me a headache. I'm not sure if that is a problem for you, because it sounds like your hair is short. I also would go for 100% cotton bandanas that can be adjusted easily. Like these: http://www.headcovers.com/1179.....rves/ In the pics these women wear them way far down on their foreheads, probably so they don't pull on the hair in front.

If you don't mind keeping some of your hair out, I would tie the bandana in the middle of the back of my head, like a pirate. Much better for preventing slipping and pulling and headaches. If your hair is short, the bulk of the scarf will over the back of your head.

Nowadays you can get really cute bobby pins (forever 21 has tons) if you are worried that the front will slip. I put them close to my temples, about an inch above my glasses. If they get on my nerves I take them out.

ruti13

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 6:53 pm
You must try the velvet headbands (and make sure they are facing the right way, as above poster wrote). They completely changed my hair covering options!

Check out http://wrapunzel.wordpress.com for a myriad of scarf tying ideas and tutorials.

SJcookie

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 7:26 pm
I'm sure your head is not weird.

Have you tried various tichel styles (ie: not just the bun)?
If you have a "big" head, you can use a long rectangular tichel, such a pashmina scarf. If you have a small head, then you can use any size tichel.
I wear tichels w/ a wig grip under to keep them in place. Super comfortable and very stylish Tongue Out

Andrea Grinberg has really beautiful tichel styles w/ tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/user/an.....watch
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels