Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Practically Broke
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:08 am
This post is not to ask for financial advice or tips on how to live cheaply. I don't need that. Its merely because I need to vent.

Over the summer, our income is reduced drastically, and we set aside money to be able to live off of, in our savings. Only we made a mistake and made the savings account in a way that we can't access it for another few months. Banging head
Smart move.
So we've been living off of a really small amount of money, and ahem... some people haven't been too smart with the money and have spent money on things that we really don't need, or at least their purchases could have been pushed off a little bit.

So now we're really short on cash. We have about 100 dollars cash, and 300 dollars in the bank. Yippee...
We're getting a small influx of cash in a few days, but it will have to last us another month, and next month we can't either expect a big income because of all the days off because of yomim tovim...

And I need to buy bras because all mine are broken.
And I need to buy maternity skirts because I seriously have nothing to wear, but don't want to spend what little I have on maternity skirts, so will check out the thrift store and maybe I can turn a regular skirt into a maternity skirt.

BAH!

I don't like this!!

And what's most frustrating is we have something expensive that was JUST purchased before yontif that was totally not needed, while I'm sitting with a half zipped up skirt that I've been wearing for the past 4 days straight, because it's the only thing I have that... sorta... fits me.

Just needed to let this off my chest.

sped

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:17 am
I know you are not looking for advice, but just a thought: Do you have a gemach in your area that would be willing to lend you money on the basis of getting paid back when your account can be opened?

groisamomma

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:28 am
I hear you, and I sympathize. It's not easy. Sigh.
Hug Hug Hug

Make your needs known LOUDLY and maybe said person will consider your bras before the next big purchase Very Happy

I hope things look up for you real soon.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:46 am
amother wrote:

And what's most frustrating is we have something expensive that was JUST purchased before yontif that was totally not needed, while I'm sitting with a half zipped up skirt that I've been wearing for the past 4 days straight, because it's the only thing I have that... sorta... fits me.

Can you sell this expensive item second hand? Even at a loss?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:53 am
shalhevet wrote:
amother wrote:

Can you sell this expensive item second hand? Even at a loss?
It wasnt really expensive expensive. It was just more expensive than it needed to be. It was some new clothes when his clothes are totally fine now, and wearable. When I dont have wearable clothes now...

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 4:41 am
You might get better use of one of those bands that you wear over regular skirts tot urn them into maternity.

I hope you get out of this situation soon and next time, definitely try and lay out all you need clearly so others won't spend it all on themselves.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 7:18 am
if you are anywhere near nj I have maternity clothes to share.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 9:42 am
can you buy some clothing on credit cards and carry a balance for a month or two till your income goes back to normal?

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 6:52 pm
You can get elasticated skirts that are half the price of maternity...
double header has for between $10-$20 and they are great I wore them my entire pregnancy with ds.

Hug

It really sucks to live cash to cash.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 7:01 pm
I have a few maternity outfits to give away. They're a size small, medium. I live in Brooklyn.

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:03 pm
I have some maternity skirts, size medium. I can send them to you once I get back from NYC after YK.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:30 pm
LaneBryant always runs sales on cheap bras

Barbara

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 8:38 pm
You need to go to the bank and find out the consequences of early withdrawal. You'll probably pay a very substantial penalty on interest, but not in principal. If its some sort of a tax deferred account, you might need to pay taxes. But AFAIK, they cannot refuse to give you your money.

bnm

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 9:33 pm
I have some adjustable waist maternity skirts I was finally packing away, your welcome to it. I can ship anywhere in the us, its pleated from Lilo, very comfy.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 9:35 pm
I'm good, thanks! I found some maternity skirts in the local gmach, so that was good.
And we'll manage somehow.
I am in no interest of increasing our credit card debt...

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 10:13 pm
Can you borrow some maternity wear from your not-pregnant friends?

On a more long-term note, when is the new baby expected, b'shaa tova? If you only have $400 to your name now, you will have bigger problems once the baby comes. Is there a diaper gemach in your area? Maybe they also have nursing bras?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:19 pm
DrMom wrote:
Can you borrow some maternity wear from your not-pregnant friends?

On a more long-term note, when is the new baby expected, b'shaa tova? If you only have $400 to your name now, you will have bigger problems once the baby comes. Is there a diaper gemach in your area? Maybe they also have nursing bras?
Our finances will be normal once the yomim tovim are over. This is just the crunch time. And in a few days we're going to have more money also- still not a lot, but much more than 400... and we will have access to our savings account before the baby is born. So I'm not worried. This is just the few weeks until normal paychecks come in that are hard.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:39 pm
I kept on thinking about your post on yom tov. I was sorry I didn't inquire more about how I could help.
Surely there is something some of us can do to help you.
It kept coming into my mind during Yom Kippur.
We are am yisrael, here for each other.
I want to help, please tell me how and what I could do for you.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 2:10 pm
it'll be good, hashem always helps. But thanks for the offer!

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
it'll be good, hashem always helps. But thanks for the offer!

How do you know that she isn't the way Hashem is helping?

Don't be like the man in the joke, the one stranded on the desert island. Take help when it comes your way if you need help. It is all from Hashem. He can save you with a boat, a helicopter, or some kind ladies on imamother.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics