Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kids all try to talk at once at dinner ..way home from schoo

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 10:28 am
My kids all try to talk to me at once when I pick them up from school. Even when I say its so and so's turn my daughter who is 9 likes to tell me her day at school slowlllly. And the other kids complain she is talking to long. Even when I limit her and say you got 5 minutes at the end she tells me I am rushing her and I dont want to listen to her.
Same thing at the dinner table if one child starts a topic of conversation and another child dares to interrupt the first child gets really upset.

Is there a system of taking turns that any of you have done with kids getting to let out their day in a calm way?

im_a_ima

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 10:32 am
Let each child chose 1 topic of the day. You can't expect kids to be patient listening to their siblings when they believe their own stories are way more fascinating

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 11:29 am
the other idea is to set aside a time for them to tell you like bedtime (although that may be too long of a wait), and if they know they'll get their chance then it may be easier for them to share the time.

my kids do this to my dh as soon as he steps into the house. He usually will tell whomever started first to continue talking and tells the other child to wait his turn. Either after a 2-3 minutes or when a topic is finished, my dh interrupts the first child, says "why dont we give a turn to the other" and they switch off like that.

Even if the child gets upset the child needs to learn that its not that you dont care about them but they need to learn to care about their siblings, which in turn actually makes you care/love them more because you are impressed with their good middos and that is what makes you happy.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 11:29 am
Give each child a chance to tell you the 3 best things that happened that day and the 3 worst things. Start with the youngest because they have the hardest time waiting and if they speak out of turn, they will go down to the bottom of the list and have to wait til they are the last. If you limit how much they can tell you, it'll make things go faster.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 11:35 am
Can you schedule in a specific time where she really can talk as much as she wants? For example, tell her that ou really want to hear her out, but when the other kids are around, it just doesn't work. So if she helps you wash up the dishes at night, she can talk to you the whole time while you're doing them (or some other chore where you feel like you're being productive, and the other kids don't want to volunteer!)

I'm talkative, and my mom was pretty good at listening to me. I remember feeling really upset when she was too busy to hear me out...but I think I would have been fine if she had told me not right now, but YES to a different time...

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 12:45 pm
This reminds me when we were kids on the way home from school, actually I think it was in the car on the WAY TO school, we would start yelling
"im talking to mummy first when we get home" "second" "third" and then the one who got fourth would cry LOL.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children