Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Info re Nurse practitioners...

monkey

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 7:40 pm
HI.

Is anyone here a nurse practitioner or in school to become one?

OR does anyone have a close relative (spouse, child, parent) who is one?

I'm looking for details about schooling...ie. how long is the schooling? Can it be done online or there any specific schools to look into? what type of degree do you need before hand before you start school?

just looking for basic information regarding the process of becoming a nurse practitioner to see if its pertinent for a family member.

Thank you!

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 7:42 pm
I don't have that kind of info for you, but I wanted to tell you this is a really great choice--esp right now

all of the doctors I know tell me that NPs are going to be the first line of treatment/care in the next ten years, so you'd be getting into an industry that is about to thrive.

congrats!

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 7:51 pm
Hello,
I am an RN in my last year of NP program.
You need a BSN to start the NP program. Its 47-57 credits, depending on school and specialty. IT can be done online but you need to arrange your own clinicals. Its a lot of work. Right now I am working full time, and finishing school part time, and I am either in school, in clinical or at work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day.
There is a ton of info on allnurses.com
Good luck to your relative.

monkey

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 7:55 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
Hello,
I am an RN in my last year of NP program.
You need a BSN to start the NP program. Its 47-57 credits, depending on school and specialty. IT can be done online but you need to arrange your own clinicals. Its a lot of work. Right now I am working full time, and finishing school part time, and I am either in school, in clinical or at work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day.
There is a ton of info on allnurses.com
Good luck to your relative.

So once you start the actual NP program how many years is it typically?

also just clarifying:

first you need a BSN and then you can go to a NP program?

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:05 pm
Monkey,
you can do part time or full time. I did mine part time (6 credits per semester), so its going to take me 4 years + 1 summer. I think full time is about 2.5 years.
Yes, NP is a Master's degree, so you need to have a BSN before applying to NP program.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:10 pm
Iriska,
Would it be advisable straight from a BSN program to a NP program?
My DD was planning on doing that, but most people seem to work as an RN for several years before going for their NP?
For someone who does not have to work while going to schoold, what do you think of doing an intensive BSN program and going directly to a NP program?
Also do you mind telling us where you went for your RN and PN?

bubbebia

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:14 pm
I'm also an NP by education. I went to a program at Pace University that was a master's program for those with degrees in other areas. I don't know if the program still exists, but if you're in the area (NY)you might look into it. It was a 2 year program after earning my bachelor's. Plus there was some internship afterward in order to take the certification exam.

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:31 pm
smilingmom wrote:
Iriska,
Would it be advisable straight from a BSN program to a NP program?
My DD was planning on doing that, but most people seem to work as an RN for several years before going for their NP?
For someone who does not have to work while going to schoold, what do you think of doing an intensive BSN program and going directly to a NP program?
Also do you mind telling us where you went for your RN and PN?

I know some people go straight from RN to MSN, never working a day as an RN. Its possible. The question is, whether that makes a good NP and who will hire her? Many jobs want people to have RN experience. Its an ongoing debate, but there are people out there who do it.
I worked for 2 years before starting the NP program, and continued to work full time through the program, so by the time I graduate I should have 6 years of RN experience.
I went to Columbia for my accelerated BSN - its an excellent program, but very expensive. In NY I would advise Downstate, its the cheapest all around. I am at NYU for my Masters, but my work is paying for most of it. Its a fairly good program.

nechamad

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 10:34 pm
I'm also a nurse. I think the NP programs are switching to doctorate programs rather than masters. There are master's degrees in nursing, such as nursing education, infomatics, women's health, etc., but NP is different. Good luck!!

monkey

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 10:45 pm
thank you everyone for your help!

ohsleepy1

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 11:05 pm
I've been an NP for 5 years. You need an MSN to be an NP. In general, most programs do not allow you to start their MSN program until you have a BSN & have 2 years of RN experience (which is a very good idea in my opinion.) My MSN program took me 2 years but I did it full time. I also got a post-masters in another specialty which took 1.5 years of part-time schooling. The beginning of the MSN program (I did not do an online program) was all in the classroom but last 2/3 of the program was mostly in clinical sites. I think in many of the programs you have to find your own clinical sites & preceptors which was very difficult for me. I got an ANP & ACNP but if I did it again I would have gotten an FNP. There are more clinical hours required but you can see any patient when you're not and you're not restricted to people over age 13 like I am. Also if you ever want to work for the NP-run clinics in CVS or other places like that they will only take an NP with an FNP.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Rivka

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 11:54 pm
nechamad wrote:
I'm also a nurse. I think the NP programs are switching to doctorate programs rather than masters. There are master's degrees in nursing, such as nursing education, infomatics, women's health, etc., but NP is different. Good luck!!

That is not entirely true. There is a theoretical push for DNP as entry level of advanced nursing practice; in real life all the nursing schools still accept applicants into their Masters programs, and employers do not require DNP, unless its a teaching position. The proposed switch to DNP in 2015 is NOT happening. We just talked about this last week with our program director, and she definitely knows what she is talking about.

eschaya

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 6:07 am
I'm an RN and I'm also currently in school to become an NP (acute care, not family or pediatric which are what most frum women go into). I'm doing my program part time because I'm also working part time and it should take me around 2.5 years total. I'm in a master's program, but I actually got into the last cohort that's a masters program... from now on it's a DNP. So many schools truly are transitioning to the doctoral entry.
While you can do a direct entry to advanced practice nursing, most recommend getting experience as a nurse first, especially in the area you hope to specialize in as an NP. I've seen the difference between NPs with and w/o nursing experience, and it really does show.
Good luck to your friend. It's a great profession to be in now.

momof2boys

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 3:55 am
great career choice right now
need BSN prior to applying for NP programs. Better to have nursing experience so you'll be a better NP. Schooling is rough. Usually work part time while doing NP schooling. Some even go per-diem towards the end of the NP program.
Lots of great job options out there now for NP's.

I started the program but stopped.... ending up doing MSN in nursing education.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics