Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids afraid of being shown naked at airport security- wwyd
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:38 am
We will be traveling soon with our kids. I know that we will need to go through those xray machines at airport security. My kids heard that the machines show everything and are concerned about being shown naked even if its only to a security officer.
I managed to sort of half lie by saying you cant see anything, only an outline but my oldest insists you are shown naked. She knows. What can I do.
I am afraid of a full blown tantrum at security.
What should I do?

Barbara

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
We will be traveling soon with our kids. I know that we will need to go through those xray machines at airport security. My kids heard that the machines show everything and are concerned about being shown naked even if its only to a security officer.
I managed to sort of half lie by saying you cant see anything, only an outline but my oldest insists you are shown naked. She knows. What can I do.
What should I do?

Tell them that the machines were removed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new.....60143

gp2.0

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:48 am
http://www.propublica.org/arti.....ports

MommytoB

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:55 am
They also don't make families with young kids go through them.

littleprincess

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:23 am
MommytoB wrote:

they make everyone go through the x ray machines, including new borns.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:25 am
littleprincess wrote:
MommytoB wrote:

they make everyone go through the x ray machines, including new borns.

I never had to go through them....and I also recall hearing that they have all been removed

Peanut2

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:36 am
They don't make babies go through the full body scanners op is talking about. Instead they go through a regular metal detector, not an x ray.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:11 am
I am so glad I started this thread. I had no idea that the scanners were removed!
I'm so happy. I was so nervous!
I cant believe they ever had such privacy invading scanners to begin with Sad
((Shudder))

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:22 am
Your daughter is wrong. I flew a few months ago. I did not have to go through the scanner since I was pushing a baby carriage. As I walked through on the side with my baby, I was able to turn my head and see the scanner screen. There is a vague outline of a human form, not detailed at all, with some glowing spots (that presumably indicate things that are not allowed through). THAT'S IT. No details or anything.

mynameismom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:32 am
You can opt out and get a wand/pat down instead

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:38 am
mynameismom wrote:
You can opt out and get a wand/pat down instead

Kids may be freaked out by a stranger touching them all over, too.

When I have travelled with DD, we always refused the x-ray scanner because we both have a history of skin cancer in our families. I stare the TSA agents straight in the eye and tell them "We'll take the pat down." We never "beep" when we go through the metal detector, so we always get waved through with no problems.

The trick is, don't let them intimidate you into going through a screening you don't want.

If you can, wear a sheitel. The agents seem to really target anyone with any form of covering on their heads. I had one agent yelling "Scarves OFF! All hats and scarves OFF!" up and down the line as we were waiting to get checked. Rolling Eyes

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:43 am
You can always request a pat down and you can explain that it's not violating because if someone has a weapon, that is how they catch it and if you want them to catch everyone who has a weapon then you realize that they have to check everyone.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:47 am
Heyaaa wrote:
You can always request a pat down and you can explain that it's not violating because if someone has a weapon, that is how they catch it and if you want them to catch everyone who has a weapon then you realize that they have to check everyone.

The first time I took DD through the airport, I was preparing for a meltdown when they had to x-ray her favorite stuffed animal. I told her that some bad guys were SO bad, that they would use a kid to sneak dangerous things in a stuffed animal. She said "Wow, that really IS bad!" She looked a little worried when she handed them the toy, but she was very brave about it. She knew it was important. (She was 2yo at the time.)

Shana_H

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
What should I do?

Oh for goodness sake, the LUGGAGE goes thru the x-ray machine, the people go thru a METAL DETECTOR!!!!!

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:11 pm
I typed a whole reply before and posted it but now I'm not seeing it so I'm going to repost. Sorry if it comes up double for anyone...
Your daughter is wrong. They do not see you naked. I flew a few months ago and did not have to go through the x ray machines because I was wheeling a baby carriage. From where they told me to walk I was able to turn my head and see the screen that the security officers look at. There was just a vague human outline (I couldn't even tell if it was male or female, that's how vague it was) with a few glowing spots which I assumed were things not allowed to be brought on the plane that the sensors were picking up. Tell your kids to calm down, they really can't see anything...

Shana_H

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:19 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
I typed a whole reply before and posted it but now I'm not seeing it so I'm going to repost. Sorry if it comes up double for anyone...
Your daughter is wrong. They do not see you naked. I flew a few months ago and did not have to go through the x ray machines because I was wheeling a baby carriage. From where they told me to walk I was able to turn my head and see the screen that the security officers look at. There was just a vague human outline (I couldn't even tell if it was male or female, that's how vague it was) with a few glowing spots which I assumed were things not allowed to be brought on the plane that the sensors were picking up. Tell your kids to calm down, they really can't see anything...

Ill never forget the last time I flew with kids, OMG! At the time, I had two in a double stroller, and I was a few months pregnant too, they made me unload and fold the stroller, so they could inspect it, the kids and I were "wanded" one at a time, I held up the entire line for a good 20 minutes, I'm not sure what they thought I was hiding, needless to say Im in no rush to fly again!

Ima_Shelli

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:53 pm
They are still around at most of the airports I frequent. I always head for the metal-detector-only line (sometimes you can), otherwise I request a pat-down, which is not a big deal at all (not like those horribly invasive patdowns they used to do) because of the radiation-related concerns related to the new scanners, which AFAIK have not been addressed in any scientific literature of any sort.

But they generally don't make kids- and very often their parents- go through the scanners, anyway, and instead divert you almost immediately to the metal detectors.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:33 pm
I would be very uncomfortable too ... even unwilling - perhaps throw a tantrum

you could see if the person is wearing a tampon ... the shape of their body ... gosharuni

Beyla

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:36 pm
Funny, I would never think about that....

smilethere

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 5:31 am
I just travelled now and they had the body scanners in JFK but anybody can decline.

I didn't go through and told them I'm uncomfortable because I'm pregnant.

My children did walk through AND had to have a full body pat down - believe me that is more creepy, but BH they were fine with it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics