Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can I/Should I say something to the Rebbi?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 7:38 pm
My 9yr old dh. (who has a history of Heart condition) told me today that he has to pick up other children's dirty tissues if they are around his desk. I would love to tell my son you cant do that but he cant say no to the rebbe. Should I e-mail the Rebbe and remind him of my sons health issue and ask him to please remind my son to immediately wash his hands after this clean up activity? ( I did tell my son to use a tissue to pick up other tissues) Do you think that sounds disresepectful?

***My son has had a cold for more then a week, I worry that's how he caught it.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 7:48 pm
This is not chinuch. This is a health hazard. Rubber gloves must be worn &/or use a broom and dustpan.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:08 pm
op here -so you think I should send him with rubber gloves? I cant fit a broom and dustpan in his backpack.

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:08 pm
yes, you should absolutely call the rebbi. 1000% . This is a health issue for your child. you will be accomplishing a few things:

1)showing the rebbi that you are an active parent and you take an interest in your child and the happenings in the classroom. It makes a difference because when a teacher knows that a parent is actively involved in the happenings of the classroom, they treat your child better.

2)making the rebbi aware of your child's health issues

3)preventing your child from getting sick in the future.

it's a win/win for you to make that phone call.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
My 9yr old dh. (who has a history of Heart condition) told me today that he has to pick up other children's dirty tissues if they are around his desk. I would love to tell my son you cant do that but he cant say no to the rebbe. Should I e-mail the Rebbe and remind him of my sons health issue and ask him to please remind my son to immediately wash his hands after this clean up activity? ( I did tell my son to use a tissue to pick up other tissues) Do you think that sounds disresepectful?

***My son has had a cold for more then a week, I worry that's how he caught it.

op here I meant to say 9 yrs old ds

Happy18

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:17 pm
Call. This is disgusting as well as unsanitary. 9 year olds are old enough to put their own tissues in the garbage. If the teacher is not aware of your sons health condition you must let him know, don't assume the school told him.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:28 pm
I let him know of his condition in the beginning of the year and since I only have his e-mail address I sent him one( after reading your replies, I had the courage ) just know reminding him of it. The problem is these boys are not allowed to go to the garbage during class. So when they have a cold they stuff there desks with their tissues and when they fall out, nobody claims them. My son insists the kids are putting them under his desk on purpose ( he does tend to get bullied but that's another issue). Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:57 pm
I wouldn't let my healthy son pick up tissues that other children used. That is seriously disgusting.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:58 pm
That's just disgusting regardless of whether your DS has a heart condition or not. That's just common sense hygiene. And to not allow someone to use a garbage can during class time is almost criminal. If he is not going to allow that, then each kid should have a brown paper bag scotch taped to the side of his desk to allow for garbage disposal during class time. And they should be emptied at the end of each class. And you definitely need to speak to the rebbe, not e-mail him. Clearly he doesn't get the problem (s) and needs a good old face-to-face reminder is imperative. Failing that, you need to be in touch with the principal. Your child's health should not be compromised because the rebbe is being obtuse.

gila-rina

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:31 pm
If people around you coughing and sneezing you're bound to get sick. Number one problem is sending sick kids to school. Problem number two is the bullying. If he is being bullied, the kids might be throwing even clean tissues just to have your son clean them up.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:19 pm
Agree that this is unsanitary, even without a special health concern but especially with.

Disagree with plastic gloves; this will just give other kids something to tease him about, unless it becomes class policy that it is one person's job each day to pick up all the tissues and that person is to wear gloves.

Taping a bag to individual desks during colds/cold seasons is an excellent idea. No more excuses for mislaid garbage.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 6:48 am
Have you spoken to the Rebbe about the bullying? That is definitely something that warrants a call, and then you can discuss dirty tissues in the same phone call. No child should have to spend most of his waking hours surrounded by people who bully him. It's a terrible feeling.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 8:17 pm
op here...the bullying situation is being taken care of. The Rebbi responded to my e-mail saying he just wanted the kids to have the zechus of learning in a clean classroom but hears me loud and clear when it comes to the health issue. I had a feeling he was offended by my e-mail and I responded by saying its great to have the kids help clean the classroom but my son needs to be extra vigilant about his health.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 8:57 pm
You did the right thing. Now that he responded to your concerns, you just thank him and express your confidence that it will be taken care of.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 9:04 pm
the health of your son comes way before cleaning up after anybody & their contagious tissues

have his doctor write a note & photocopy it for your son & his rebbie - this way he is always ready without being considered disrespectful

as for the other boys Shame on you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics