Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Earrings- metal sensitivity

basement

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:18 pm
Wondering if anyone has any leads for me. I tried wearing costume jewelry earrings which were supposed to be gold-plated and got very irritated from them. Problem is that all the real gold earrings I've seen are expensive- like 300 plus. Where could I find nice, "real" earrings (not dressy) for 100 or less? Or is it impossible?

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:22 pm
It's very possible that you'll have same reaction to gold earrings.
Many people have a sensitivity to nickel which is mixed with the gold.
Try Claire's. they're all nickel free

thedudette

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:28 pm
Ok, gold-plated doesn't mean much. I've seen some businesses online say they sell 'real 14kt gold plated earrings'. It is totally misleading - if you can't wear fake - you can't wear that. (Besides for the fact that plating costs a few cents and imho buying fake is throwing out $.) If you can't buy real, then I would suggest sterling silver. Most people can also wear pure sterling silver besides for gold (assuming it's good quality silver - there are different qualities - the cheaper ones have a high level of nickel which may irritate your skin, not as bad as fake, but sometimes they do.) In rare cases some people are allergice to sterling silver and gold, and then they usually wear titanium.

thedudette

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:35 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Those don't work for many people. I've had many people who told me they or their children were reacting to earrings that were supposedly nickel-free and hypoallergenic and then they are fine with sterling silver, gold & even gold filled.

basement

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:39 pm
Exactly my case! I'm fine wearing real gold earrings- would sterling silver work, too?

thedudette

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:44 pm
basement wrote:
Exactly my case! I'm fine wearing real gold earrings- would sterling silver work, too?

Many times, yes, though in some cases no. I've had alot of people that can't wear fake and usually only wore gold try sterling silver and they were fine with it. It also is like 1/10 of the price of gold so people tend to think it's worth a try.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:45 pm
I would suggest two options:

1) replace the post with a gold post. This way you are only paying for the gold in the post

2) try stainless steel. When I was younger, even gold irritated my ears. Only stainless was OK.

Also, do not sleep in your earrings. I can now wear any earrings, as long as its only for a few hours.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:20 pm
Sounds like you have a nickel allergy. They use nickel to "plate" the gold post or wires. So many places these days have nickel free costume jewelry--eg Kohls, Target, Walmart. I have a pretty severe nickel allergy and have no problems wearing these. It makes it possible to have more than 2 pairs of earrings. You can also find necklaces and bracelets that are nickel free. I can also wear sterling silver. Much cheaper than gold.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:36 pm
thedudette wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Those don't work for many people. I've had many people who told me they or their children were reacting to earrings that were supposedly nickel-free and hypoallergenic and then they are fine with sterling silver, gold & even gold filled.

Then they don't have a nickel allergy because gold earrings are not pure gold. Gold is always mixed with nickel.

thedudette

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:57 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
thedudette wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Then they don't have a nickel allergy because gold earrings are not pure gold. Gold is always mixed with nickel.

Can be in some cases- but there are levels of sensitivity to any allergy- many people who aren't ok with cheaper metals will be fine with gold even though it does have some nickel, because it's mixed with gold. Even though companies claim nickel-free it usually isn't 100% - but enough to legally claim that and not cause a reaction to the majority of consumers with that allergy.

basement

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 9:42 pm
Thanks for the replies.

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 9:44 pm
Try http://www.simplywhispersstore.com/

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 6:52 am
I find that sometimes earrings are mazel, too. lol
Claire's ones have occasionally be great for me, and I've reacted to pure gold a couple times Confused

ice coffee

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 1:05 pm
I've heard that if you paint the earring post with clear nail polish , then it acts as a barrier between the ear and the metal. Worth a try
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics