Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Attention ALL Converts
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Oct 12 2013, 11:45 pm
I am working on a writing project and I am addressing these questions to all people who converted to orthodox Judaism:

What were your parents initial response to you announcement that you wanted to convert to Judaism?

How did your mom respond?
Your dad?

HOW did it affect your relationship with them initially?

You can reply anonymously or PM me.

The more detailed your response the better.

I am most interested in FEEELINGS, THOUGHT processes how it affected your relationship with them etc.

ValleyMom

Post Sat, Oct 12 2013, 11:47 pm
Thanks!

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 12:53 am
Feel FREE to post as amother.

I'm mostly interested in you sharing your experience and their reactions.

peppermint

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:09 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Feel FREE to post as amother.

I'm mostly interested in you sharing your experience and their reactions.
You cant post anonymously in this section. Maybe ask a mod to move this post to another section?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:11 am
THANK you that may be why nobody is responding.
I really need to hear what people have to see so I can start writing...

Beyla

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 4:02 am
Your thread comes just after another one, quite similar.
I wonder if you will have answers.

Last edited by Beyla on Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 8:37 am
Here we go again....

anuta

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 10:30 am
Maybe if you share more details on what is your writing project for ( a book? an article? for which publication? a course project? a dissertation? a scientific research for work? ) you would get more answers. Maybe not everyone wants to contribute to something they may not appreciate the outcome at the end.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:06 pm
I am actually writing a play that will be produced Off Broadway.

Without going in to too many details one of the five main characters is converting to Judaism and I am trying to understand HOW her parents would feel about that. She was brought up as a devout Catholic. Catholic all girls school, church every Sunday. large family x-mas parties. Big family Easter dinners etc.

My friend said initially her mother was very dissappointed because she had just lost an adult son to cancer very suddenly and she felt that she was losing her daughter as well.

That is a unique situation.

I am hoping I will get other personal anecdotes that will help me shed light on a how a family reacts in this sport of situation.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 1:07 pm
SORT of situation.

Feel free to PM me or post as amother

spinkles

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 2:54 pm
Every family is so different. A devout Catholic family could truly believe the theology, and then it would be traumatic for their child to leave the fold. Or their Catholicism could be more a cultural thing and not actual beliefs. Different people in the family might respond differently, depending on what they believe and what their relationship with the child is. How does the family handle disagreement in general? A family could feel concerned about the daughter and deeply disappointed, but still be warm and loving to her. Or they could not be.

I don't understand what asking people who converted will help. You have to use your imagination, and think how the family your character has would be, because people are so different, and everyone's situation is so different.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 3:15 pm
The reason I want it reality based is so that the cahracter is true to herself.
It's like a comedian doing bits that are not relatble to him/her.
The bits fall flat.
I cannot do a routine that doesn't ring true to ME otherwise it sounds hollow.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 3:16 pm
It's okay.
I understand that this is a sensitive topic.
I will continue my research elsewhere.

spinkles

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 5:30 pm
But authors write all the time about people who aren't like them. I mean, you know people, period. You probably have family, you probably have friends, you know people and there are certain "types" no matter where you go. So write about that. The dynamics between people. That's what interests people.

If you make the Catholic family serious about their religion, then think l'havdil about frum people whose kids go OTD, Hashem yishmor, and think about the emotions that causes. Slot those emotions in to your characters, add concerns about salvation and possibly a bit of anti-semitism, and voila.

busybuthappy

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 5:33 pm
I am just so curious. My real dream is to write lyrics for music for broadway/off broadway shows, but I would have no clue how to actually begin. How did you get into this line of work?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 7:23 pm
That's a looong story.
But I will tell you this.
never give up.
Don't let anyone tell you it's not appropriate for a FRUM woman.

When they said frum women should NOT do stand up comedy I proved them all wrong.

YOU can do ANYTHING you set youre mind to as long as you are willing to do the work.

FYI
I have performed at The Comedy Store, The Laugh factory and Catch a Rising Star.

Lady A

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 10:44 pm
I am a giyores, from an Irish catholic backround. You can pm me for more info.
Unlike most BT's, I was always raised with a firm religious/ethnic backround. My father still jokes about calling my old schools and asking for a refund.

Although they think what I d is a bit extreme, they never thought they were ones to question it. They saw so much disparity in their religion that they did not feel it was right to question me choosing a new one.

ROFL

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 11:25 pm
Wow Lady A I would love to hear your story Is there any way you would feel comfortable Telling us why you decided Judaism was better for you?

busybuthappy

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 11:37 pm
Thanks for the encouragement valley mom. Its not that anyone is discouraging me. To the contrary, my dh and mom both told me to go for it if tharts what I want. I am willing to do hard work, it is just that I have no idea where to begin. Who do I contact? Where would I send my lyrics too? I have no idea!

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 12:00 am
On the recent NG documentary "Only with G-d: Inside Hasidism" one of the BTs featured came from a strict Catholic background. He talks about it on the movie and there is footage of his first trip back home after becoming Chabad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics