Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
We are really suffering, please help me get benefits.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 12:03 am
I am at a total loss.... I work and take care of a baby and my husband can't find a job. He tries so hard and looks every day but it's just so terrible out there. He works very part-time helping out a friend but it's not at all enough to survive... and every day I make the money and he doesn't I grow exceedingly more resentful of him. He knows, and he's trying... but it's so hard.

We live in NJ and are just barely making ends meet. Without our parents' helping we would be homeless. They unfortunately don't have the means to support us much longer and we really need help.

The usgov websites are Gibberish to me. Please can someone help me figure out exactly what I have to do to get help? Is there a Jewish agency I can call??

Please please, someone help. Sad

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 12:12 am
I am so sorry Hug

It is very hard for your husband also - a man wants to be able to support his family and it is discouraging and depressing for them not to be able to find a job. I also became resentful toward my husband but it is not his fault - I try to keep remembering how this is meant to be for us to go through. He tries his best and it is hard enough on his ego to keep getting rejected for jobs - he needs your support.

Unfortunately, I do not live in NJ so I cannot help you with where to apply. You can look online for local offices in your area for food stamps, WIC, energy assistance, and other things (house/rent credit, subsidized daycare, etc).

ROFL

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 12:15 am
Do you live in northern , central or south jersey ?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 1:21 am
Look up the DSHS office in your area. Call and make an appointment to come in person. When you call, ask them what documents they'll need to see, bank statements, tax forms, utilities, rent agreement, etc. Make sure you have every single thing you'll need.

Your intake social worker will tell you what programs you are eligible for. If you qualify for DSHS, they will give you some emergency money and food money right on the spot, especially if you have a baby.

In the meantime, see if your local shul has a Chessed Fund, or rabbi's discretionary fund. Ask if there is a local Jewish Federation or Jewish Family Services branch that could help you.

Has your DH been to the local unemployment office? I know that they used to have job postings there, I don't know if they do that anymore though.

Hang in there.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 1:36 am
There is a place that facilitates FS/WIC/HUD etc applications for the frum community in Lakewood.. Has your husband ever spoke to PCS in Lakewood about jobs ?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 6:36 pm
OP-

We're in North Jersey, not Lakewood, and in a pretty affluent community so there are no Jewish offices to help us.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 6:44 pm
I really mean this in the most sincere and helpful way possible. I hope you aren't offended , but it really behooves you to make a visit to Lakewood and speak to someone in the LRCC as well as the jobs counsellor in PCS.
B Ezra's Hashem, they can help you
Unless, the ׳ affluent' people in your community are willing and able to help you..
Hatzlacha

alte mamme

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 6:58 pm
https://oneapp.dhs.state.nj.us/

This website will allow you to see all the gov't benefits you may be eligible for and apply online.

hatzlacha!

alte mamme

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 7:01 pm
Oh, and it should be in a simple question and answer format. I suspect that most states have this sort of website set up and it's designed to be extremely simple so anyone can do it.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 7:19 pm
Try lrrc in lakewood they will help u out with everything they are amazing. They sit with you one on one and help you out with program applications

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 11:18 pm
If you're in the Bergen county area, you can contact Project Ezrah in Englewood. Also try the Jewish family service. There're offices in Teaneck, Passaic, Livingston and probably other areas in North Jersey as well.
B'hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics