Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Building Vs. Buying a House

amother

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:28 pm
We are looking into buying a house and haveing a hard time finding what we want. Someone suggested we build a house. Is this really worthwhile?

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:46 pm
It could be. You can get exactly what you want.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:56 pm
Are you in a hurry to move? Do you have the time and money to do construction? Are there empty lots available to build on or would you have to buy a house and knock it down?

Would you rather find a house that basically works for you even if you have to make some changes or would you rather deal with the hassle of construction but get exactly what you want?

You have to decide what your priorities are and if building your dream house is feasible for you.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 12:35 am
I am in the process of building a house now. I have had a house before. The nice thing is that you can really have what you want- but everything costs money. Every single thing I want is costing me money. When I bought my first home, I had to just update what was there.

chani4

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 12:46 am
Yes very much worth it. We bought our house and it was gross The framing and bones of the house were great. We completly changed the entire interior and exterior, changed the layout and it was our dream home

MMCH

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 9:34 am
dont know from first hand experience, but my inlaws just finished building their house and they are thrilled
my mil says she got everything they ever dreamed of and more!

that being said, it took A LONG TIME!!!
from the time they actually started, they had to move twice, to two different rentals, bc they thought it would be finished sooner.

they think it was 100% worth it. but they also dont have little kids, (youngest ones are teenagers) so the packing and moving a lot of times isnt as stressful as it could be with young ones.

morah

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 10:09 am
Building will give you exactly what you want, but will almost certainly take longer and cost more than what they tell you. Sure, buying can come with its own surprise costs, but unless someone really messed with you, you'll remain within the ballpark of the original estimate. Building has the potential to really spiral out of control, both in terms of time and money.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics