Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
WigsByYou - Did you take the course

wereafamily

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 10:24 am
I'm throwing away way too much money on wash and sets, it's time I do it myself.

I'm thinking of taking the course - is it worth it? Did you feel confident to do it yourself after the class?

I would love to hear your thoughts on the course. TIA Very Happy Very Happy

runninglate

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 10:39 am
I took the course. I think it is good if you are good with your hands and a quick learner. It was a group of ten ppl and the instructor didn't really have enough time to help everyone. I definitely didn't know how to do my wigs after the course.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 10:49 am
I agree with 'runninglate' only do this course if you are good with your hands.

I know 2 other people who took the course, all 3 of us still use our shaitel machers.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:07 am
I did this course.
There were about 8 of us.
You have to be good with a blow dryer to start with and know/understand teh basics.

It was worth every penny for me because I still do my own wigs. I don't do curling because I don't have a good curler and I usually mess it up but straight is really easy and that is how I wear my wigs day to day.
So my shabbos one I send to my sheitel macher 3 times a year (yom tov) and the other two I do on my own.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:28 pm
My friend took it and said it was a waste of money. She tried doing her wigs and burned one so now she just send it to the shaitel macher.
She said the same as above posters if you're good with your hands it may help you if not don't bother.

imamom7

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:35 pm
so funny to read the other reviews. I took the course and totally do my every day sheitel by myself, with curls! I think I looked on youtube after to make sure I was doing it right etc. I like to send my shabbos sheitel in but before yom tov when it was busy I did it by myself too. For me it was definitely worth the money. FYI I have curly hair and only ironed it so I had no idea how to use a blow dryer. So she taught us how to wash and blow and curl -my every day sheitel is pretty straight I let it air dry and then use a curling iron on it. I always get compliments on it.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:37 pm
imamom7 wrote:
so funny to read the other reviews. I took the course and totally do my every day sheitel by myself, with curls! I think I looked on youtube after to make sure I was doing it right etc. I like to send my shabbos sheitel in but before yom tov when it was busy I did it by myself too. For me it was definitely worth the money. FYI I have curly hair and only ironed it so I had no idea how to use a blow dryer. So she taught us how to wash and blow and curl -my every day sheitel is pretty straight I let it air dry and then use a curling iron on it. I always get compliments on it.

Are you good with your hands in general?
I am terrible as a girl I was never able ro blow my hair well. I know that for me personally this course would be a waste of money.

pizza4

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:43 pm
I also took this course and don't like how my sheitel comes out when I do it... it's different than doing hair. I'm scared I'll ruin it soon but I'm looking for a different sheitel macher now that isn't sooooo expensive and is better than the one I used till now.
Not sure if was a waste of money for me because I did it on my own for a while... but it takes way too much time!

imamom7

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:45 pm
I do agree with the above poster in the sense that it takes a lot of time and I dont even blow it Smile I always tell my husband it takes an hour to wash and brush out and curl etc. - $40 an hour isnt soo bad Smile but yet I continue to do it myself - guess im a cheap jew

miami85

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:09 pm
I did the course when I was still single ( I had a shaitel to practice on). It was very useful my first year of marriage before kids when I had time and space to do my shaitels. Now I dong have much of that. But it is good knowledge to have in a pinch. Learning how to wash a shaitel was also valuable. I was never good with a blow dryer/ iron etc so I don't do too much styling. Recently I recurled my shaitel for a wedding to save money. You definitely want to invest in a good quality blow dryer or iron if you plan to do it seriously.

alte mamme

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:18 pm
I didn't take the course but I found some instructions for washing sheitels online and have been doing it myself for quite a while. Based on the above posts, I don't feel like I am doing too badly with my self taught techniques. I don't blow it dry, just air dry and use the curling iron (very carefully and on a low setting). I'm sure it would look better if I took it to a sheitel macher, but I can't really afford to do that. And I'm getting better as time goes on.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 8:35 am
Obviously a one 4hr course is not going to give you as good results as an experienced sheitel macher who took tons of long intense courses BUT it definitely saves you money.
Sometimes I wish I didn't have to spend so long on my own wigs and just take it in but on the other hand I just saved myself $40 which can pay a nice few things I need more than my wig to look amazzzinng (which is does btw Wink )

hisweety

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 1:17 pm
Were is this course given and does anyone have a phone number if I decide sighn up?

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 2:01 pm
hisweety wrote:
Were is this course given and does anyone have a phone number if I decide sighn up?
She usually advertises a couple weeks before the course is done, I can't remember her name but she does the course in Brooklyn, Monsey and Lakewood.
http://www.wigsbyyou.com/

Rivky

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:05 am
no, it was a real waste of money! Unless of course you have it in you and you're looking to 'brush up on your skills.' The course wont magically make you stop using sheitil machers.

busydev

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 7:01 pm
I took the course and have been doing my sheitals for 4years. my sil (not a sheital macher) actually showed me how to wash sheitals during sheva brachos (I practiced on her sheital that was done for my wedding) so I basically knew how to do that. but I didnt like the way they came out. after taking the course I love the way they look. even if you dont go to a sheital macher 5 times it pays itself off+. its also great for quick fix ups. I dont need to wash my shabbos sheital so often as I only really wear it for a couple hours on shabbos and y"t and to occasional simchos, but every couple months I can fix it up in a few minutes. I usually wash and let it aor dry and then do it over the next day or so. I mostly use a curling iron and not a blow dryer tho my sheital is not worn curly or very wavy either. I am usually a quick learner but I wasnt esp good at doing my hair before marriage-I did alright, but was not great at it. I am sure some of the people in my class are not doing their sheitals in general since they seemed so lost, but b"h I still am.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics