Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Shaitel from your own hair

Abby2

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 11:39 am
Has anyone done this succesfully? Any tips or suggestions?

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 12:35 pm
wouldn't the point of wearing a sheitel from your own hair be moot ?

happy to be me

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 12:54 pm
Sounds counterproductive. I don't think one may cover their hair with a wig that is made with their own hair.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 12:54 pm
greenfire wrote:
wouldn't the point of wearing a sheitel from your own hair be moot ?

No. It's cut off hair.
Some rabbis allow it, others allow if there's some foreign hair.

medola

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 1:00 pm
I am sorta growing my hair out for for this purpose too. I looked into it a bit and it seems you'd need 2-3 long ponytails to make a wig. About 3 inches gets lost in the wig making/knotting part. So the ponies need to be about 3 " longer than how long you want the sheitel to be. So for me, I want the sheitel to be past my shoulders so I have to grow my hair pretty long! If you're not able to supply all of the hair - 2 or 3 ponytails - then the wig maker can substitute with some similar hair for the bottom or filler.. It's cheapest when you supply all the hair (I was quoted about $850 or so) - if the wig maker needs to fill with other hair then that will raise the price. I a told the hair is the most expensive part, so once you provide that the price for making it is not so bad. But to me $850 still seems like a lot! I want to do this but I wonder if its really worth it. My hair was nicer when I was in my teens, now I am in my mid 20s and have has my hair covered for 6 yrs now so I wonder if the quality of my hair is even worth making a wig... Anyway that's all I know, just thought I.d share.

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 1:01 pm
I personally wasn't thinking of it, but a friend was, and her rav interestingly enough told her it wasn't allowed!

medola

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 1:01 pm
Once it's not attached to your head it loses it's "status" or whatnot. It's definitely allowed. I am sure it's not the most ideal according to some rabbi, but most allow it.

Abby2

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 2:09 pm
Medola, interestingly, my hairdResser always tells me that hair under wigs is in very good condition. Because its not exposed to the elements and in my case I hardly blow or iron it.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 3:05 pm
According to the Chayala asked of rabbi blumenkrantz, once its cut off its no longer yours, and can be used. I have a Shaitel out of my own hair, about 40% is my hair. One head of hair isn't enough for one Shaitel. And it doesn't save you more then two hundred dollars.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 3:11 pm
Btw, my hair was down to my waist, and cut shorter them my chin. Still want even half the wig. Plus the hair at the nape of your neck isn't add long add that st the top of your head. Plus the hair needs to be processed and separated by length before it chasm be tied in. you lose write a bit to processing, and no one I know would charge only 850. I.worked in wigs for years and know the business well the most you get off is about $200.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 3:18 pm
if you need 3 heads of hair ... then you wait till you can grow it out 3 times & cut it ... it can be done in a matter of about 5 years for someone who has rapidly growing hair

or if you're lucky enough to have a daughter with similar hair type/colour who is willing to cut hers off as well

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 4:11 pm
Why do you bother covering your hair? Put a hat or headband on and it'll look like a fall.

mommy27

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 4:58 pm
My daughter and I have exactly the same type and color of hair. We were actually wondering if we could each grow our hair and trade it to make into shaitels for each other! I don't know if it's actually practical.

mimimom

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:40 am
You have to have amazing hair. The shaitel will only be as good as the hair that goes into it...

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 2:55 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
Why do you bother covering your hair? Put a hat or headband on and it'll look like a fall.

What a horribly obnoxious thing to say. There are rabbonim, famous ones who allow it, who do you think you are nex to Rabbi Avrohom Blumenkrantz. The mitzva is to cover your hair, not to look ugly. Wearing a wig of your own hair is permissible. get off your high horse and realize that women are doing a mitzva. It may not be the way you do it, but it is stilla mitzvah.

Happy18

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 4:00 pm
MimiMommy wrote:

Please be careful who you express your opinion to. My mother started covering her hair after over 20 years of being married when the rav told her she could make a sheitel of her own hair. She ended up having a sheitel made with one ponytail of her own hair sewn in and it made her feel comfortable wearing it. She felt that since it was a perfect match, since it blended with her own hair she could feel beautiful fulfilling this mitzvah and not resent it. She has covered her hair ever since, now she doesnt add her own hair.

People making comments like could be part of the reason some women don,t cover their hair. Please be careful, there could be women on this site reading your comment that may prevent them from wearing their first sheitel.

4eyes

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 10:10 pm
I did this. I believe the rav said any percentage of my hair was fine. I learned another shittah in sem that as long as it was a third (?) not the wearers own hair it was 100% fine.

hair is only halachically considered ervah when it is attached to your head. once cut, it loses its ervah status. (not sure why a sheitel cant be 100% your own if thats the case, but either way, you need prob at least 6 ponies of at least 10-12", so who would be able to?!)

it doesnt reduce the cost in a significant way, as previous posters said, since a sheitel needs much more than 1 pony.

please dont be ignorant and rude. its a hard mitzvah for many of us and anything we can do to make us not resent it is a big help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels