Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dance Recital

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 1:16 pm
My oldest daughter takes dance lessons and has a party coming up where each group will perform a dance, hers included.My husband's job has a holiday party in a town 2 hours away that night.Spouses are invited and company will pay for hotel. I desperately want to go because I am never alone with hubby.My brother offered to pick up all the kids from school,keep them overnight and take them to school next day.A dancemate's mom would take my daughter to recital.
My daughter is very sensitive and she will feel bad if I miss the recital.I am very hands on,and I stay home, so I am always there for every event.I feel guilty,but a night in a hotel without kids sounds amazing.Should I go or send hubby alone and go to recital?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:19 pm
bump-noone has any advice or opinions? WWYD

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
My oldest daughter takes dance lessons and has a party coming up where each group will perform a dance, hers included.My husband's job has a holiday party in a town 2 hours away that night.Spouses are invited and company will pay for hotel. I desperately want to go because I am never alone with hubby.My brother offered to pick up all the kids from school,keep them overnight and take them to school next day.A dancemate's mom would take my daughter to recital.
My daughter is very sensitive and she will feel bad if I miss the recital.I am very hands on,and I stay home, so I am always there for every event.I feel guilty,but a night in a hotel without kids sounds amazing.Should I go or send hubby alone and go to recital?

How old is your daughter?

I think, if you say she is very sensitive and would feel hurt if her mommy is not there watching her, then you should probably go to her show. I know that's probably not what you want to hear..but I hope you can arrange a holiday another time, when your daughter doesn't have anything on that she would like you to attend.

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:

Dance recitals are big things for little girls. Chances are, your daughter would be the only child without a parent there. Couple that with the fact that she's sensitive, and my guess is that she will be very, very hurt if you're not there. I wouldn't miss it. (I know others will tell you she'll forget it soon enough. All I can say is that I've been to at least a couple of hundred of DS' basketball and baseball games by now, and he can list the few I've missed. He's too old to let it really bother him anymore, but no question he knows I'm there.)

Any chance you could go to the party AFTER the recital, even if you arrive late?

imamiri

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:43 pm
I would have been very hurt had neither of my parents come to any of my dance or music recitals. Kids do not understand you needing a night away in a hotel. All they know is, this is a really special thing and you are not there.

bamamama

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:00 pm
yeah. I agree with all above. Recital.

Rodent

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 6:50 pm
Our sons' dance concert is the highlight of their year. No way on earth that I would willingly miss it. Go to the recital.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 7:05 pm
I think you should go to the dance

I understand how you feel don't get me wrong, but as a mother part of our job is making sacrifices for our children. I am sure that another opportunity will come up with your husband.

If you do not go to your daughter's show, she will be hurt, even if she doesn't tell you. All the other parents will go and she will wonder why you are not there. It is special for her, and she would like you to be there.

If you go , she will always remember you being there and the support and encouragement you gave her. It will be more special for her.

So even though it may feel like a sacrifice for you, it will be really great and special for her and a long lasting memory. You could also make her a "good luck" card.

I was once in a play and when I was eating lunch I opened my lunch box to find a handmade card my mother had written to wish me luck and I was so touched!

Seriously, you will be repaid double

Being a mother is not at all easy and requires us to love unconditionally, to sacrifice and more but ultimately it's a challenge that makes into an incredibly selfless and giving person and the rewards are tremendous.

Don't worry, you'll get another chance with your husband. why not go out for dinner one night? or take dd out for a meal after the dance with dh?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 8:20 pm
Ok, thank you for your advice everyone.I was going to skip the hotel trip, but just got an email that the recital is being moved up a week.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, thank you for your advice everyone.I was going to skip the hotel trip, but just got an email that the recital is being moved up a week.

I love happy endings Tongue Out

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:

Wow! G-d loves you

vicki

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:57 am
I was going to echo everyone else but now I don't have to.
Enjoy both events!! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children