Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Maybe I'm just naive.
1  2  Next

BabsB

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 4:49 pm
I ordered a pre-tied tichel for the first time. Maybe this is me just being naive but from the name (pre-tied) and the pictures I was under the impression it would be tied, and then the tie would somehow be stitched in to keep it in place. I had read they had a bit of elastic underneath, but what I got in the mail today was NOT what I was expecting.

There is no tie in the back whatsoever. It just elastic stiched all the way across with two little tails stitched onto the side. I am so disappointed. Sad
Plus apparently my head is a little on the big side so the elastic is pretty stretched and just looks ridiculous.

Are all pre-tied like this or is it just this particular design?

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:08 pm
sounds disappointing ... maybe you could send it back ... take your own tichel & tie it & sew it down ... made to fit

phillymom

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:09 pm
Sorry, I'm just to visual to figure out what your describing.
But the two tail things sticking out sounds like all my "pre tieds"

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:12 pm
That sounds exactly like what a "pre tied" is. I find that they tend to run really small, and I end up with the ties sticking out where my ear are, so they look really bad. Every single one I've tried has looked awful on me, except the ones that I can try on in person.

I've gotten very good at tying scarves, though!

mummiedearest

yes, all pre-tieds are like that. but they come in different sizes. it depends on the manufacturer and the material. always best to try on before purchasing. if you want the tied look, just knot the two tails together.

BabsB

I'm going to send it back anyway because they sent me the wrong one. (Very similar to what I ordered, but the wrong applique on the side.) That's part of why I was asking. Should I even bother getting the right one or will it just be the same way?

Meh, I may just stick to stocking up on scarves when I'm bargain hunting.

But the good news is I finally invested in a good volumizer! Just gotta figure this dang thing out now....

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:14 pm
I have yet to see a "pre-tied" that looks good.
I don't wear them, but if I did, I'd go with the ones you tie yourself. They always look so much nicer on people.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:15 pm
BabsB wrote:
I'm going to send it back anyway because they sent me the wrong one. (Very similar to what I ordered, but the wrong applique on the side.) That's part of why I was asking. Should I even bother getting the right one or will it just be the same way?

Meh, I may just stick to stocking up on scarves when I'm bargain hunting.

But the good news is I finally invested in a good volumizer! Just gotta figure this dang thing out now....

these make great volumizers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbRTaABO08

they're easy to use and cheap to make. I keep a couple of different sizes.

I hope you enjoy your pre made volumizer. I posted this in case you wanted other options.

BabsB

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 5:30 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

these make great volumizers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbRTaABO08

they're easy to use and cheap to make. I keep a couple of different sizes.

I hope you enjoy your pre made volumizer. I posted this in case you wanted other options.

Thank you!

emunah shlaima

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 6:10 pm
yes they are supposed to be that way with the two ties hanging. I feel like I have pig tails and always have to keep retying. I prefer the cotton tichels , they tie and stay better.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 6:30 pm
Forgive a totally clueless one, but what is the point of buying so-called pre-tieds when they're not even really tied? Is it really so difficult and complicated to take two or three tails and tie a knot in them? Or is this pre-tied thing the headcovering equivalent of buying premixed pb&j or premashed bananas--a neieh Americanische mishegoss elevating laziness into an art form?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 6:32 pm
zaq wrote:
Forgive a totally clueless one, but what is the point of buying so-called pre-tieds when they're not even really tied? Is it really so difficult and complicated to take two or three tails and tie a knot in them? Or is this pre-tied thing the headcovering equivalent of buying premixed pb&j or premashed bananas--a neieh Americanische mishegoss elevating laziness into an art form?

it's the equivalent of a snood, but in a different shape. that's all.

BabsB

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 7:58 pm
zaq wrote:

This is how I'm feeling right about now. To me the name "pre-tied" implies there is some sort of knot. I wanted it for the convenience factor but I am now reminded there just isn't replacing the real thing. Smile

Oh well, you live and you learn. Good thing they accept returns!

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 8:19 pm
Here are 2 videos showing some current scarf tying & styles.

The first shows a woman trying on scarves & she is wearing a "rat" pouf/volumizer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=RBpONdqQTe0

The second shows how to tie the new apron style scarfs. It looks like the woman is wearing a volumizer under her black under scarf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubf_SHgKlI0

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 10:04 pm
How would you stretch it over your head if it was already tied? Think about the shape of your head. It needs to not be tied so you could get it over and then you tie it yourself so you can make it fit your size head. The pre-tieds take care of all of the hard part for you.

BabsB

Post Mon, Nov 18 2013, 10:07 pm
Kugglegirl wrote:
Here are 2 videos showing some current scarf tying & styles.

The first shows a woman trying on scarves & she is wearing a "rat" pouf/volumizer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=RBpONdqQTe0

The second shows how to tie the new apron style scarfs. It looks like the woman is wearing a volumizer under her black under scarf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubf_SHgKlI0

Thanks.

It's probably pretty obvious that I haven't been covering for long, but I am trying. I (very quickly) got tired of only knowing two ties and I'm trying to expand my horizons.

This forum has been a huge help and introduced me to SO many resources that are helping me. I am so thankful.

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 5:12 am
I like them. I don't generally tie them up just leave the loose ties, I like the look like that. And they are just like snoods, only I think they are more stylish. And they stay on nicely, are comfortable and can be worn a variety of ways.

The name pre tied is a misnomer, they don't look or feel like a tied up unelasticated tichel.

Some different makes typically come out large or small, I thimk uptown girl are usually larger, and dacee smaller head sizes. Some make different sized ones, there is a guide to this on myheadcoverings.com.

Each to their own, I've been wearing them since I got married and they are my basic staple, but I don't wear a sheital and don't like the old fashioned snood, just not my style.

Cupcake Queen

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 6:37 am
http://wrapunzel.wordpress.com/

This might give you some tichel ideas! Heart

hop613

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 10:35 am
I think it's called a pre-tie because it looks like it is tied when it really isn't. I don't tie my pre-tieds, I just let the tails hang down. But I agree that it is very hard to find a pre-tie that looks good. I have 10+ pre-tieds and there are only 2 or 3 I can wear out in public. But they are so comfortable.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 12:03 pm
See if you can order a bigger size. Also - the different materials sit differently. I found that the cotton ones sit nicer than the lycra ones.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels