Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
The *How* of "I daven for"

Goldengrl327

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 6:05 am
So many posts I've read say "I daven for..." whether it's health, happy family, the health of someone - or whatever it is. But what I'm curious is what exactly are you saying? Are you just outright saying "G-d, please give me the strength to have a good week this week?" or "please help so and so get better"? I'm only asking because I don't know how I'm supposed to ask for things from Hashem. I know Hashem knows what's in my heart but to bring it to my lips to say is what baffles me. When I'm davening (if I can even make it to that level!) how can I ask Hashem for what I want rather than just what's written in the siddur? Do you ask in English, Hebrew, Yiddish? I know for me, things don't feel real until they're spoken. But people post they ask for things when they light candles or during childbirth (that's a new one for me!), or under the chupah, but exactly HOW do you ask for things? Is it saying a specific tehilim or just outright asking for things?

SplitPea

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 6:27 am
we are breslove. one of the big teaching of rebbe nachman is Hibodidute.

http://www.breslev.co.il/artic.....glish

http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/......html

When I davin it looks much like a conversation with a friend "Hashem is am so worried about DC1 please help her reach her full potential. give me wisdom as a parent to know how to handle her, how to discipline her, how to help her grow. Give me strength to be there for her in every way I should be. Help me not get tired or frustrated , or depend on things like videos to occupy her time but to really engage her in every way I can. Help me teach her about you Hashem and how to love you. How to davin, how to understand the essence of who you are and what the mitzvot are. Help me instill in her a love for your torah and mitzvot in ways she can understand and that make sense to her. Please give me wisdom on what do do about a school for her for next year....

I could go on and on. and DO go on and on. going from one subject to another. I will typically have a "conversation" about one thing at a time (Ie above I was asking for help with DC1 but many different aspects of her life) I typically ADD at some point and totally change the subject (but don't we all)

I hope the above websites help a little

Last edited by SplitPea on Tue, Nov 26 2013, 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 6:27 am
you need to have a quiet moment - or make a quiet moment by ignoring the surroundings - and delve into your heart & thoughts ... I.e. when lighting shabbos candles your eyes are covered or afterward you can stare into the fire ...

say aloud what your heart tells you ... ask hashem to listen

may your prayers be answered !!!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 6:33 am
Just talking. Like you would talk to a parent.

"Hashem, I'm really trying hard this week to be calm with my children. Please help me to stay calm, not to lose my temper..."

"Hashem, please help X have a refuah sheleima. We all love her and she's trying so hard to stay optimistic...Hashem, it's so HARD. Please, please help her to go into remission and stay there..."

"Hashem, please help me to get to this meeting on time...and safely..."

and then later on...

"Thank you so much, Hashem! I didn't quite make it there on time, but neither did the other guy. Thank you!!"

Goldengrl327

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 7:31 am
Thanks guys - those are truly inspirational! And thank you for sharing if those are things that you daven for. I think if myself as a very spiritual person but find it hard to connect unless I know what I'm doing or I read something that is truly inspirational. I've read some good books in the past that have brought me to tears where they've talked about the goodness of Hashem and it just makes me want to do the same but I sometimes just feel silly talking out loud to what I perceive is myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational