Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can I please, PLEASE, stop covering my hair?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 12:57 am
ROFL wrote:
StripedFlower wrote:
amother wrote:

On the other hand. If you truly HATE covering your hair, and it is the bane of your existence then stop. Everyone has to do what works for them.

WHAT ON EARTH??

This is not the Yiddish way whatsoever. I'm shocked.

What is the Yiddish way? A language that is half German and half mixed languages !!!

Maybe you mean to say the jewish way or maybe the halachic way?

"yiddish" is "jewish" in yiddish. (duh, my cleaning lady knows that.)

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 2:51 am
StripedFlower wrote:
amother wrote:

On the other hand. If you truly HATE covering your hair, and it is the bane of your existence then stop. Everyone has to do what works for them.

WHAT ON EARTH??

I am on Earth, are you? You are easily shocked I see. Did you even read the rest of my post and the follow up where I said I should have said - if its the bane of your existence you may want to consider stopping. I am giving the OP support. Yiddishkeit is not one size fits all. OP is MO, there are plenty of MO rebbeim who say you don't need to cover.

As another poster said, its not all a straight line, there are twists and turns. Have some compassion, a little ahavas yisroel. Do what works for you and not worry about everyone else.

p.s. think yiddish dress british.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 2:55 am
StripedFlower wrote:
amother wrote:

WHAT ON EARTH??

p.s. its this mentality that causes so much turmoil amongst jews. there is no ONE yiddish way. you have your way and I have mine. better to stop covering your hair then be miserable and go OTD - which happens.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 6:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
MBV, that's an attitude that turns many people away. You don't need to judge if the author is Orthodox or not.

I posted it for the OP to see that she's not alone and what one woman chose to do. Clarity doesn't mean Op throws off her sheitel. Its whatever it means to Op.

What attitude? Look, I know the author. I would not have mentioned anything if you hadn't brought up her piece. I'm not judging her, I'm discussing her attitude toward halacha. If she published this she is opening herself up to discussion. And I'm not discussing anything outside of what she wrote.

Sorry, I wasn't going to sit there silently when this was posted. If you want to take down the link, I'll be happy to remove my response. Otherwise, you know that not everyone will agree with you, and we can express that.

I don't mind if you leave your response up. I do think your attitude is kind of obnoxious though.

I don't know the author. But her struggle is very real to many people.

willow

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:39 am
saw50st8 reading the article it felt that the author simply removed the struggle from her life rather then really work it out. It was a feeling based decision. That isn't how Torah Jews lead their lives. She didn't talk about sharing her feelings with a Rabbi to see if there was room to fit in her disgust with the Mitavah. She just mocked those that follow the law and lauded herself for "knowing what was important in life".
Ppl that cover know the importance of beiin adam lachavaro just as much as she does. She threw that in to cover her bases and it didn't really make sense.

willow

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:42 am
Just want to clarify it didn't seem like a struggle for her. It didn't feel good so she stopped. No one is making fun of that. We are disagreeing with that being ok. Again not judging that it is a hard commandment to keep. But you can not call yourself a Torah Jew when what you do is follow the Laws that you like and throw out the other "minor uglier" parts.

StripedFlower

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:

I am on Earth, are you? You are easily shocked I see. Did you even read the rest of my post and the follow up where I said I should have said - if its the bane of your existence you may want to consider stopping. I am giving the OP support. Yiddishkeit is not one size fits all. OP is MO, there are plenty of MO rebbeim who say you don't need to cover.

If she started to cover then obviously she doesn't go by those MO rabbis. Therefore the advice was bad and wrong and anti-halacha.

StripedFlower

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:

p.s. its this mentality that causes so much turmoil amongst jews. there is no ONE yiddish way. you have your way and I have mine. better to stop covering your hair then be miserable and go OTD - which happens.

There is NO Yiddish way that says if something's too hard then just don't bother.

StripedFlower

Post Sat, Dec 14 2013, 11:11 pm
willow wrote:
But you can not call yourself a Torah Jew when what you do is follow the Laws that you like and throw out the other "minor uglier" parts.

This is my point. Thank you.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics