Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Hoffman tours vs. Simcha Hochbaum
1  2  Next

sunflower919

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 11:22 am
I am considering using Hoffman tours when I will be in Israel. Does anyone know how much they charge? I tried checking their website, but there are no prices quoted. Also, I have heard about Simcha Hochbaum, but have not heard any feedback about his tours. Can anyone help?

avigail

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 11:41 am
What kind of tour are you looking to do? AFAIK, Simcha Hochbaum does 2 tours- Chevron and the Old City jerusalem. He is great!!! 3 hour or so walking tour pretty small group.
Hoffman is a big company, different tours, by full bus load

sunflower919

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:08 pm
I don't particularly care if the group is big or small as long as the tour is interesting. I am working on a budget however. Would you happen to know what they charge?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:10 pm
Ive been on tours with both of them
The only tour both groups overlap with is the Chevron tour.
its basically the same tour but hochbaum takes you to a house in the Jewish quarter to see how the people live nowadays and hoffman takes you to kever Yishi and Rus.
Otherwise its the same tour.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:12 pm
sunflower919 wrote:
I don't particularly care if the group is big or small as long as the tour is interesting. I am working on a budget however. Would you happen to know what they charge?
both are about the same price but Hoffman gives a discount if you have many people in your group or if you do several of their tours.

sunflower919

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 12:20 pm
There will be two of us. Can anyone recommend somone other than Hoffman tours and Simcha Hochbaum? Also, can anyone tell me how much they charge?

Smile1234

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:18 pm
Hoffman's is close to $100. Check their website http://www.hoffmantours.com/

theotherone

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:44 pm
What about artzeinu tours?

sunflower919

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:49 pm
What kind of crowd does Artzeinu attract?

theotherone

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:53 pm
Honestly I've never taken a tour with artzeinu so I can't comment but I know they have been mentioned multip[le times in the past on this website. I had a friend who had a good experience with them. I suspect they attract a diverse american crowd. I had heard that hoffman is more chareidi. but don't take my word for it! I have a relative who used hochbaum and said he is incredible.

theotherone

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:57 pm
Whoops, just did a search and see artzeinu was only mentioned once. I wonder how I heard so much about them-maybe just word of mouth then. all positive.

sunflower919

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 2:06 pm
Thanks theotherone

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 3:29 pm
I've used Simcha Hochbaum and he is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I highly recommend him! I took the Chevron tour and one of the Old City walking tours with him and they were unbelievable. It was a few years ago but by the Old City tour we walked through the Arab quarter and went to the Kotel Hakatan which is the part of the kosel that's in the Arab quarter (if I'm remembering correctly) and he stopped, spoke about it, and the boys and men of the group sang im eshkachech there and danced-it was so so beautiful. He puts the emotion in it.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 4:07 pm
Hoffman and artzeinu do basically the same tours but Hoffman is a little cheaper.
Hoffman is more charedi then hochbaum or artzeinu.
On Hoffman all women must dress according to halacha. the other tour groups you can wear shortsleeves, uncovered hair, etc.

The OU center has a few tours and is much cheaper then the above mentioned groups. Crowd is a bit more modern and mostly retirees.
email tiyul@ouisrael.org for their tour schedule.

I personally have enjoyed tours with all of these different groups Smile

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 4:09 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
I've used Simcha Hochbaum and he is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I highly recommend him! I took the Chevron tour and one of the Old City walking tours with him and they were unbelievable. It was a few years ago but by the Old City tour we walked through the Arab quarter and went to the Kotel Hakatan which is the part of the kosel that's in the Arab quarter (if I'm remembering correctly) and he stopped, spoke about it, and the boys and men of the group sang im eshkachech there and danced-it was so so beautiful. He puts the emotion in it.
I also highly recommend this tour. I think it was $30/person and well worth every penny!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 4:12 pm
Smile I think I used Hoffman over 20 years ago. Don't remember much though. :roll

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 4:55 pm
we went on a 4 person tour with Hoffman and it was AWFUL. Yes, we got to the right places -- but he was on the phone all the time when he was driving and for dinner dropped us on a street in Haifa to get food -- only kosher restaurant no English speakers. Plus after he quoted a certain price he then said it was higher and when I refused just charged an additional amount that I did not catch til later...

Artzeinu tours are excellent. When we took it, there were families visiting their kids in sem/yeshiva.

also recommend oucenter tours. JNF has a a great one down south but make sure you are okay with the restaurant they bring you to.

have a great time!

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 4:57 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:

Agreed. He's wonderful. I have been on his tours a bunch of times over the years each time its fabulous.

sw

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 5:04 pm
Simcha hochbaum makes everything do much more alive tangible with a meaning, he is a true hero how he lives to preserve chevron and all his tours are amazing

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 5:11 pm
I haven't been to Israel in quite a few years but when I did go we took a few tours with rabbi pesach levy. I don't know if he still gives tours, he was elderly at the time.. But he was full of knowledge, and I found the trips very interesting and really inspiring.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions