Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Yesodei Yeshurin/Landers HS Queens....INFO please!!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 1:06 pm
What info can you anyone give me on Yesodei Yeshurin in Queens, AKA Landers HS?

Which elementary Schools do they come from?
Is it a more "modern" or Yeshivish boys Yeshiva? (Hats, white shirt only, very sheltered boys...)?
Nice/fine boys?
Where and what do most of these boys go post HS?
Whats the Hanhallah like?

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 2:28 pm
Hopefully somebody with more detailed and personal knowledge will chime in, but my limited impression is that it's somewhere between yeshivish and modern, maybe out-of-town yeshivish? In other words, it's certainly not the same crowd as Philly, Riverdale, and Long Beach, but it's also not considered MO. The people I know who went there are definitely fine and with wonderful middos, but many if not most of the graduates will eventually go to college and may not always wear white shirts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 2:48 pm
My parents considered sending my brothers there, but got turned off when the school sent a letter home filled with details of what they expect in terms of dress without any mention of middos or other more important qualities.

My cousins were happy there. It's definitely not MO - more yeshivish.

bubbebia

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 4:06 pm
My DGS#1 is a freshman there. He is a very smart young man and very yeshivish. He came from a yeshiva in Brooklyn that was also very yeshivish. My impression is that it is a diverse population of boys who are there for the best education they can get. It is highly powered, academically, in both Judaic and secular studies as these boys will expect to attend college as well as to continue their learning--it is a feeder for Landers. It's been an eye-opener for DGS who came from a school with very poor academics. He works very hard but is very happy there, much more so than at his previous school. He is a very fine boy with good middos and I would expect my DS and DDIL would not consider sending him to a place where the boys were less than fine.

But anyone must remember that there is always a chance there will be some less-than-quality kids going to any particular program at any given time. Sometimes they just don't show their faces until later, but they are generally the exceptions to the rule rather than the rule itself.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 8:26 pm
thanks....anyone else???

amother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 8:30 pm
I have a brother in high school thr and in bais medrash.
It is a yeshiva for boys who are both serious about limudai kodesh and limudai chol (ie: regents, and college like landers afterwards)
Both boys are doing very well thr.
We are a typical black hat, open minded Queens family.

Can you ask more specific questions and I will do my best to answer?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 8:36 pm
Can/will a quiet shy boy make it over there?
Are the boys "cool", or think they are! and come dressed to Yeshiva to kill (and make the ones who aren't into designer labels feel bad)?
are the boys clique like? Friendly?
Do the teachers or rebbis form a kesher with the boys?
For the summer, which sleepaway camp do most of these boys go to?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
Can/will a quiet shy boy make it over there?
Are the boys "cool", or think they are! and come dressed to Yeshiva to kill (and make the ones who aren't into designer labels feel bad)?
are the boys clique like? Friendly?
Do the teachers or rebbis form a kesher with the boys?
For the summer, which sleepaway camp do most of these boys go to?

Good Questions!
Ill answer what I know and then ask my bro for more specifics...
I know that thr are a handful of cool/hangout boys...but I dont think its the norm.
My bros dress nicely put together - white shirt, black pants, loafers... but n/t brand name and it would never cross thr minds to even want a fancy brand.
They both have very good friends from yeshiva.
Older bro has great kesher with mashgaich, was chavrusa with 12th grade rebbi, asks shailos to rosh yeshiva...
I think that you may have to initiate the kesher and then the rabaim run with it.
Dont know about camps in general but my bros go to mogen av.
The learning encourages the boys to work hard and think!
The yeshiva works hard to instill a geshmak of torah, yiddishkeit, and learning in the boys - and I think that they are very successful in that department (at least from my experience)

Again they are both at night seder now so I cant ask them till later tonight, but I will try and find out more specifics later.
Feel free to ask other questions and I will try and get answers.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:25 am
bump!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children