Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Jerusalem-Dead Sea +Masada, Ein Gedi- Advice please?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 6:26 am
So we'd like to travel as a family in a rented car from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea and area. January 2014.

We're thinking Masada, Ein Gedi, Dead Sea.

Can it all be done in one day?

Is there a safe (and non-safe) way to travel in that area? Anything to be really careful about, such as Arab towns, or whatever?

Can we go to a mixed Dead Sea place, so the family can be together? Will we be able to find a private-ish area?

Anything we need to know about Masada? Separate thread?

Sorry so confusing!

Any helpful comments or experiences appreciated Smile

m in Israel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 6:36 am
Definitely can be done in one day, but it will be an exhausting day. It depends how long you plan on stay8ing in each place, etc. I wouldn't attempt all 3 with a bunch of little kids, but with preteens/ teens/ adults it should be fine. Driving is pretty straightforward and safe -- just stick to highways (which you would do anyway). Personally I get very nervous on some of those roads (real curvy roads on the sides of mountains with no guardrails! But I don't think that's what you mean by safe, right Wink )

I've only been at the separate beach at Yam Hamalech, so I can't tell you about the mixed one. Ein Gedi has many different hikes/ paths, ranging from real full fledged hikes to stroller friendly walking paths. How much time you need depends on what you are doing. Massada is rather expensive, especially if you take the cable cars -- and again, time will vary depending on if you hike to the top or take the cable cars, if you spend a lot of time in the museum at the bottom or not, etc. (Ein Gedi is actually pretty expensive, too. The actual beaches at Yam Hamelech are free.)

Enjoy your trip!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 10:04 pm
Lots of questions here! We want to get it right.

Thanks to anyone who can comment or advise.

(OP)

m in Israel wrote:
Definitely can be done in one day, but it will be an exhausting day. It depends how long you plan on stay8ing in each place, etc

Thanks for replying, M Smile

We do not *have* to do it in one day, I mainly wanted to know whether it made sense to do so, which it clearly doesn't.

Next question, if we split that area in to 2 days (ie, back to JLM for the evening/night), how should we split it?

Should Masada be one day on its own?

Quote:
Driving is pretty straightforward and safe -- just stick to highways (which you would do anyway). Personally I get very nervous on some of those roads (real curvy roads on the sides of mountains with no guardrails! But I don't think that's what you mean by safe, right Wink )

Right, that's not what I meant, but it's also important to know!

We mainly don't want to end up stoned ch'v in a Arab area...

Any clue how long the drive to Masada would be from central Jerusalem?

Quote:
I've only been at the separate beach at Yam Hamalech, so I can't tell you about the mixed one.

Ok,

How do they work? Is there enough parking places, do they cost money (the parking)?

Any do's or don't's in that area?

Quote:
Ein Gedi has many different hikes/ paths, ranging from real full fledged hikes to stroller friendly walking paths. How much time you need depends on what you are doing.

We are not going to be hiking at all, mainly interested in nice places/views/scenic. Is that the right place?

Quote:
Massada is rather expensive, especially if you take the cable cars -- and again, time will vary depending on if you hike to the top or take the cable cars, if you spend a lot of time in the museum at the bottom or not, etc.

We would be taking the cable car, any clue how much? Is this something we should pre-book? Are there guided tours up top?

Is the museum worthwhile?

Should we do the museum first or after being up top?

Quote:
(Ein Gedi is actually pretty expensive, too..)

What costs money there? Is it like a park with an entrance?

Quote:
Enjoy your trip!

Thank you Smile

minnie mouse

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 10:14 pm
We did it in one day. My kids loved ein gedi. Masaada was pretty boring if you tour the entire complex. Maybe just take the cable car up & down? We went to the separate areas @ yam hamelech. My younger kids did not enjoy that at all.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 10:23 pm
minnie mouse wrote:
We did it in one day. My kids loved ein gedi.

What did they love there?

(OP)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions