Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working until labor starts
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 1:50 pm
Pregnant with my first and working FT as a lawyer. The workflow is really laid back now because they expect me to take off any day now, so my job is currently neither physically nor mentally stressful AT ALL. Also, my pregnancy is totally textbook low risk and I feel great physically. I am planning to just keep working until I either begin to feel worse or until I go into labor. I wouldn't love to go into labor at work, but I don't think it would be hard to catch a cab to the hospital or, if really necessary, call an ambulance. That way I can spend 100% of my leave with the baby.

Thoughts? Your experiences? What am I missing? Any reason to take off earlier? If so, when? I would hate to take off on my due date and then waste one to two weeks of my leave sitting around with nothing to do.

I will ask my doctor too, and if he recommends taking off earlier, I will listen to him. So no need to get into medical risks, as I'm sure he will ably cover those. I'm more interested in practical reasons for taking off earlier. TYIA.

MMCH

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 1:55 pm
I would keep working. why sit around? you could be 2 weeks late.

my experience as a teacher, with both of my kids I worked up until the day I went into the hospital! that way I was able to spend all of my leave with the baby not stressing.

unless your dealing with other issues (which bh u seem to not be) or u want to relax be4 baby comes, maybe take a couple days vacation to veg out, go to a spa, or just relax with dh...some ppl im sure do that.
bisha tova

amother

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 1:57 pm
I am a physician. I have always worked until the day I went into labor. Unless you are really an anomaly, you won't be in a situation where you need to have the baby NOW, in middle of a meeting or something. You will likely have plenty of notice that your labor is starting, gradually. That's what happened w me each time. Not sure why your OB would advise you that you HAD to stay home at this point if you were to ask her.

harriet

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:05 pm
I always saved all my days off for AFTER the baby and was happy I did. That said, if you are in the position of being able to take off before AND after, why not? I can barely move in my ninth month. . .

Shendellah

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:06 pm
I worked until labor for both of my pregnancies- my biggest fear was to go in labor at work! But it didnt happen both times. As mentioned before, you ussually have plenty of notice before going into full blown labor

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:07 pm
I go to work until something happens. Why wait around?

morah

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:08 pm
I always work right up until labor. No reason not to, and to stop earlier cuts into your time with the baby. If you are already full term (past 37 weeks), anything that would make a doctor tell you to stop working will probably have him wanting to induce you right then anyway.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:08 pm
I would say get rest if you can, to arrive as fresh as possible to the birth.
In my country maternity leave starts BEFORE birth.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:33 pm
As long as you feel well, why sit at home and brood? Labor doesn't start abruptly. You'll have plenty of time to realize what's going on before you need to head to the hospital.

Good luck and b'sha'ah tovah!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 2:35 pm
always worked until labor.

baby #1 (2 weeks early) - Had pre-4 days before, finished teaching at 4:30, drove home some students, checked email - water broke at 5:30
baby #2 (2 days early) - false labors (cant remember but I dont think I missed work because of them), water broke 1:30am monday morning
baby #3 (3 weeks early) - 3 nights in a row constant contractions from 1-4am, knew was only pre-labor, 3rd night went into hospital cause pain slightly different, water broke at 6:00am

pregnant with baby #4 right now, planning on working until labor. Because I know the pattern that I have 3-5 days of pre-labor and then my water breaks I am hoping I'll have an idea of when I will actually have this baby. My biggest fear is having my water break while teaching. I do wear tights so I may just make sure those days to be wearing extra stuff so I will be ready to "catch" anything.

elisabeth

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 3:50 pm
I've also worked until the baby arrived (I have 2 kids and am lawyer as well). Honestly, I found the waiting game at the end stressful enough as it is, and I was glad to have the distraction! I also was able to avoid any work responsibilities that would be stressful physically, like travel.

busydev

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:08 pm
I worked till the end.

well basically. my first was born on c"h succos (1.5 weeks late) so I worked till erev succos and my pffice was closed all y"t including c"h. my second was born tzom gedalia so I worked up till the day before erev rosh hashana since my office was closed erev r"h and r"h. tzom gedaliah was sunday (this year- so it was a nidche actually)

otherwise I would have worked till the end.

olivia

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:24 pm
I also worked until labor for both of my pregnancies

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 4:26 pm
I worked a school schedule and two of mine were born in the summer so I was off anyway. But for the other ones I worked until the day I gave birth. Both times I started labor in the very early morning (about 5/6 AM), so by the time the school day arrived I realized I was in real labor, and just called in sick. Then I was able to call later in the day with the news! As long as you are feeling fine I don't see any reason to waste time off before hand.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 5:02 pm
Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be continuing to work until the big day. I expect my Dr will be fine with it, he is pretty chill.

OP.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 5:31 pm
I also worked full time until I had my babies. I didn't want to waste my leave time. I was lucky and had my last 2 on the weekend.

eschaya

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 8:41 pm
Worked a twelve hour shift the day before I gave birth. I had actually hoped to go into labor while at work so that I could just take the elevator diwnstairs instead of doing a long drive while in labor.... but it didnt happen . May as well save your leave for afterward.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:33 pm
My boss asked what I'm going to do today. It's a tough call because I work in an ER where we are short staffed and if I'm early there won't suddenly be someone there to cover several shifts. I don't want to take off before the baby though because I can't afford to take off more than 8 weeks and want it all post partum!

rachelbg

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:42 pm
I teach, and I've had dreams about my water breaking in front of the class!

I work till I'm in labor, and I've never had any issues with that.

acccdac

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
My boss asked what I'm going to do today. It's a tough call because I work in an ER where we are short staffed and if I'm early there won't suddenly be someone there to cover several shifts. I don't want to take off before the baby though because I can't afford to take off more than 8 weeks and want it all post partum!

so being that I've been early 2/3 times I always wondered this.

lets say you told him that starting your due date you will be taking off. what happens if you have the baby a week early, what would your boss do then?

Now knowing this, why cant that happen 2 weeks after your due date?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics