Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What can she do while working on her MA?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 5:52 pm
My cousin has found her bashert and they want to get married, but they need to make enough for the basics, there is NO support available from either side. The boy is working for a nonprofit for poor pay and no benefits. My cousin just graduated from college and is starting her MA this week. She is studying to become a speech therapist. In the meantime, if she wants to get married sooner rather than later, she needs a job now. She obviously can't be a therapist yet, but is there something related she can do? Before she goes and takes the first secretary job she can find, she wants something that may could be useful to helping her learn the system or network so she is in a good spot when she finishes her training. Any ideas?

STovah

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:28 pm
Aren't most speech therapy masters programs full-time?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:31 pm
Even if her program isn't full time, the hours will vary each semester. Also, she will likely need flexibility to attend classes and programs not built into the schedule. Just keep that in mind.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:40 pm
Op here. I have no idea what a speech program entails, but it sounded like she could squeeze in a part time job (at least until some internship requirement kicks I'm I think). She can get health insurance through school. But she really does need to make a little extra cash during this time. Is it possible? I'd like to help her- they really want to marry ASAP, but they're in this bind.

STovah

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:42 pm
Maybe he can look for a better paying job?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:44 pm
What about res hab? It pays pretty well and she can probably have flexible hours.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:47 pm
Can he get a better paying job or take on a second job?

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:57 pm
Tech/aide in inpatient rehab or outpatient rehab clinic. Some may be willing to accommodate her hours based on her semester. It's also good experience for her field.

Teachers aid/assistant or shadow in special ed school. Also good experience for her field.

Offer at home care to special needs students, good experience for her field also. I think agencies can set up caregivers with clients.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:59 pm
Plenty of people do their Masters and work full time at the same time. It's definitely do-able.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:27 pm
Op here, thanks for the suggestions. I will pass than on. For those asking about the boy, yes, he is looking for a better job. But haven't you all noticed the state of the economy these days? This was all he could get coming out of college and he is giving it his all until he can find something better. The odds of making it work are better with them both working meh jobs than waiting around for just him to land an awesome job before she finishes her training.

piece

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:32 pm
res hab sounds great
maybe check nursing homes to see if the therapists there need assistance

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:17 pm
I agree she should look at places in her field (schools, hospitals, whatever type of speech therapy she wants to do), and see what types of jobs they have that don't require a degree (aide, assistant, etc). Bonus is IY"H once she's qualified she's already on the inside and probably has a good chance of a job in her field if one opens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics