Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you find it rude? Calling twice (or more) in a row?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Is it rude to call someone twice (or more!!) in a row?
Yes  
 74%  [ 123 ]
No  
 25%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 166

wereafamily

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 1:54 pm
I personally find it really rude when someone calls me twice (or more!!) in a row, but I was talking to someone the other day that didn't think it was rude, which got me think... is it just me or is it considered rude?

Obviously I'm not talking about an emergency situation.

abound

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 1:55 pm
don't think it is rude at all.

curlgirl

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:00 pm
OMG! It drives me insane!

If I'm in the bathroom, or sleeping, or bathing a child, waiting 10 minutes will give you a far better chance of actually reaching me!

I had a friend who called like 7 times the day I gave birth! She meant well at least...

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:11 pm
Yes, very rude.

If I'm not answering your phone call, obviously there is a reason - I'm busy with something, on another call, can't get to the phone in time, etc.

Trying again immediately just shows me that you think your agenda is more important than anything I might be busy with.

Wait a few minutes and try again.

rachel91

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:12 pm
I don't think calling twice in a row is rude, because sometimes people can't find their phone so they can't pick up the first time it rings. Happens to me sometimes, so I'm glad if the person calls me back a second time.

However if the person doesn't pick up on the second call, could be that the person is busy.
I wouldn't call a third time right away, better wait an hour or so.
The person will see I called and call back if possible.

7 times in a row is abit over the top.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:12 pm
No its not rude

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:19 pm
Yes, rude. I'll do it to my dh if I urgently need to reach him, otherwise don't.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:21 pm
I had just come home one day extremely overwhelmed with my crying 6month old twins when my phone started ringing. I let it go to the answering machine. A minute later, the phone rang again. I was still trying to manage my screeching boys. When the phone rang the third time, I figured it must be an emergency. I ran for it. It was my teenage dd friend looking for her. After asking her what she was thinking and was it an emergency I yelled at her, for calling three minutes in a row. I was so upset

STovah

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:22 pm
get a phone with talking caller ID. You'll never have to run to see who is calling again.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:23 pm
Can't imagine what can be rude with someone calling me twice or more in a row. Obviously if they call again, they need to talk to me something important. What's the problem? Am I such a snob that I can't "lower myself" to speak to a person more than once?

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:25 pm
so annoying! On occasion the call is urgent though. I also hate when they call my house phone first, and if there's no answer, then the cell, even though it's a perfectly logical thing to do, still drives me batty.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:26 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
Can't imagine what can be rude with someone calling me twice or more in a row. Obviously if they call again, they need to talk to me something important. What's the problem? Am I such a snob that I can't "lower myself" to speak to a person more than once?

I believe we are referring to a case where you call someone and she doesn't answer. Do you immediately try again?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:30 pm
3 solutions...

1) it's a real emergency
2) the person has anxiety issues...
3) RUDE !

I must say when I see like 10 calls in absence, I freak out unless I know it's number 2. Hence why it's rude: it's stressing and scary.

If I had the calls but couldn't pick up (say, migraine or sleeping baby or wtv) it's also veeeeery annoying...

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:34 pm
If it rings and nobody picks up, I don't think it's rude. You urgently need to speak to someone, you call, they don't pick up, you assume they are not home (if you are calling a land line) or they aren't near their cellphone (if you are calling a cellphone), so you try again hoping maybe they came home/are near their phone. Sometimes I have my cell on "silent" mode because I forget to turn it back after a meeting so I don't notice someone called unless I am looking at my phone.

Or maybe they called the 2nd time to leave a message.

I think it's only rude if you get a busy signal and you know that you are interrupting the other person while they are in another call.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:39 pm
But say, I don't pick up. Someone non urgent calls me:

how is it normal?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:40 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
I believe we are referring to a case where you call someone and she doesn't answer. Do you immediately try again?

Thanks for explaining.
I still don't see anything. People have funny definitions of rudeness.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:41 pm
Anonymous because people who know my screen name might know the family members I'm talking about.
I have several family members with personality "issues" - meaning if they call and I didn't answer, and they call again and again and I still don't answer, their assumption is that it's time for them to be insulted because I'm obviously making a point of avoiding their phone call.
To which I have to bite my tongue from saying "Gee, why on earth would anyone want to avoid YOUR phone call...?"

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:42 pm
I don't think we are referring to a case where it is clearly urgent or time-sensitive. I know people who do this. They call to shmooze; I don't answer the first time, they call again a few seconds later. That's rude!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:42 pm
Amother above, yup. I tried making some people see that if they leave me toooons of "called in absence", especially coupled with messages "I tried to call you, call me", it makes it less tempting to call back bc I'm afraid of a fight... some did get it! LOL

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:43 pm
twice is ok because sometimes people call and get no answer and then decide after hanging up that they should have left a message so they call back and leave one. more than that is rude
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette