Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What would a good job be to retrain for?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 4:14 am
I am looking to retrain for a job in Israel that would make either part time up to 3500 shekels and full time hopefully somewhere in the 5 - 6k shekel range.
I dont want to have to retrain forever. I want to study something that will not take my entire time away from my family.
And, no, I do not want to teach, something in an office or small setting.

Any ideas?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 3:10 pm
bump

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 4:50 pm
Graphic design
Computer programming
Translating

You can do all of the above from home, so you wouldn't need to be in an office setting.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
I am looking to retrain for a job in Israel that would make either part time up to 3500 shekels and full time hopefully somewhere in the 5 - 6k shekel range.
I dont want to have to retrain forever. I want to study something that will not take my entire time away from my family.
And, no, I do not want to teach, something in an office or small setting.

Any ideas?

If you have a bachelors and you are OK with numbers I would recommend getting your CPA (american or israeli). You can take the coursework online for an american CPA to fulfill the requirements and then you need to sit for the exams. Its time consuming to study for the exams but I am doing it now and its not bad. It was very easy for my husband to find a job with an American accounting background and I know others who have their own companies or just do taxes on the side, work part time for a practice...etc. Lots of options.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
Graphic design
Computer programming
Translating

You can do all of the above from home, so you wouldn't need to be in an office setting.
great ideas but not for me. Translation would not work as I am not good at languages, computer programming would never work because I am not technically savy and graphic design, well, isnt the field already full of women doing this? How would I get in edgewise?
How long are all of these fields to study for?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
If you have a bachelors and you are OK with numbers I would recommend getting your CPA (american or israeli). You can take the coursework online for an american CPA to fulfill the requirements and then you need to sit for the exams. Its time consuming to study for the exams but I am doing it now and its not bad. It was very easy for my husband to find a job with an American accounting background and I know others who have their own companies or just do taxes on the side, work part time for a practice...etc. Lots of options.
How long is it to study for a CPA? And could one learn it in English while living in Israel?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 2:36 pm
bump

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:08 pm
How long do you want to be studying for, how many hours a week of studying would be too many, how many hours working is taking too much time away from family, and are there any limitations beyond what you mentioned? I see your first post says no teaching, but then you added 1. nothing with languages and 2. no programming - correct?

Any limitations regarding Hebrew? could you study in Hebrew, work in Hebrew?

Sanguine

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
Computer programming

What sort of computer programming can you easily learn?
What sort of computer programming can you work from home?

sara_s

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:50 pm
Sanguine wrote:

in Web or Mobile programming you can work from home as a freelancer, but you need experience for that.

I'm not sure what field of programming is "easy". Web and Mobile are among the easier fields, but to be a really good programmer you would still need to be either (preferably both) very tech savvy and learn a lot about the field

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 12:50 am
Is your Hebrew okay? Secretarial jobs (don't think you need retraining except knowing how to use the computer well).

I know you said no to teaching, but if you want an in between job while your kids are small I run a mishpachton. After expenses I make 6 - 7 / month. The hours are long and it's not exactly a cushy job, but it's fun and I get paid for staying home with my son. There is a course but it wasn't that difficult. The hardest thing for me was the Hebrew.

hila

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:01 am
think outside the box...

plumber

electrician

Street cleaner (we could certainly do with more in Jerusalem)

postman

taxi driver

painter (of walls)

Photographer

Study before you make aliya.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
How long is it to study for a CPA? And could one learn it in English while living in Israel?

Its not really a length of time since its a certification. There are 4 tests you have to take and there are 4 testing windows, each window being 2 months long. I think you could, in theory, take all 4 tests in one window if you were prepared. It will probably take me a year as I am taking one each testing period, but you could probably speed it up if you were ready.

You can't take the american CPA tests in Israel but you can take them in dubai I think which is much easier to fly to than the US. Not sure how you would feel about that though.

In order to become a CPA, you do need to take the required courses. Each state is different. Assuming you have your bachelors, you would need to take the additional courses required for the CPA which you could do online. If you took any business/marketing/finance or even psych courses those count towards the requirments. Your best bet is to do some online research on the requirements so you can see if its something you want to explore.

Where you raised in the US? What state are you from? you may be able to find an instate online program that would not be too expensive to take online courses. I know many schools offer online CPA prep progams to fulfill the requirements such as UC Berkely and Northwestern. Or, of course you can get a masters in accounting but that will take longer and isn't needed.

I think you could definitely finish up the requirements and the tests in under 2 years assuming you have almost no requirements completed. Probably faster if you were really eager.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:16 am
amother wrote:
Its not really a length of time since its a certification. There are 4 tests you have to take and there are 4 testing windows, each window being 2 months long. I think you could, in theory, take all 4 tests in one window if you were prepared. It will probably take me a year as I am taking one each testing period, but you could probably speed it up if you were ready.

You can't take the american CPA tests in Israel but you can take them in dubai I think which is much easier to fly to than the US. Not sure how you would feel about that though.

In order to become a CPA, you do need to take the required courses. Each state is different. Assuming you have your bachelors, you would need to take the additional courses required for the CPA which you could do online. If you took any business/marketing/finance or even psych courses those count towards the requirments. Your best bet is to do some online research on the requirements so you can see if its something you want to explore.

Where you raised in the US? What state are you from? you may be able to find an instate online program that would not be too expensive to take online courses. I know many schools offer online CPA prep progams to fulfill the requirements such as UC Berkely and Northwestern. Or, of course you can get a masters in accounting but that will take longer and isn't needed.

I think you could definitely finish up the requirements and the tests in under 2 years assuming you have almost no requirements completed. Probably faster if you were really eager.

You need a bachelors. In addition to that it must include (typically) 24 hours of accounting coursework plus 24 hours of business coursework (varies state to state) or you must take this on top of your bachelors. Its typically 12 classes that include a mix of Fina

Here is a link that will hep you to see what the requirements are in different states. If you are taking it from Israel, you can pick the state that has the best requirements for you (re: fewest). Colorado or Illinois are probably your best bet.

http://ipassthecpaexam.com/cpa.....ents/

Here is the link to colorado's requirements (27 hours of accounting coursework and 21 hours of business coursework).
http://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/colorado/

Sanguine

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:56 am
Sanguine wrote:
Quote:

sara_s wrote:
in Web or Mobile programming you can work from home as a freelancer, but you need experience for that.

I'm not sure what field of programming is "easy". Web and Mobile are among the easier fields, but to be a really good programmer you would still need to be either (preferably both) very tech savvy and learn a lot about the field

I was a programmer years ago. The field has changed so much since then that I was wondering what you were referring to. I don't think anyone can freelance unless they have a lot of real experience. There's a tremendous difference between what you learn in a course and what you learn as you work. There's a good reason why it's so hard to get that first programming job

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
You need a bachelors. In addition to that it must include (typically) 24 hours of accounting coursework plus 24 hours of business coursework (varies state to state) or you must take this on top of your bachelors. Its typically 12 classes that include a mix of Fina

Here is a link that will hep you to see what the requirements are in different states. If you are taking it from Israel, you can pick the state that has the best requirements for you (re: fewest). Colorado or Illinois are probably your best bet.

http://ipassthecpaexam.com/cpa.....ents/

Here is the link to colorado's requirements (27 hours of accounting coursework and 21 hours of business coursework).
http://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/colorado/

By the way, one thing I didn't mention, is that once you get on track to take the CPA - have the coursework underway or take 1 of the tests you can really start applying for accounting jobs. Many places will hire you as long as you have started the process. You may be able to get a student job or a full time job....and they may even pay for the CPA fees. In the US, my company paid for my coursework and my fees. In Israel, my husbands company gave him paid leave to study for the tests for 3 months and paid his fees.

nechyf

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:05 pm
I work in transcription (legal field). My current company doesn't require official certification (though it exists and is called AAERT), but did require previous experience.

If you want to take an inexpensive mini course, Transcriptionforeveryone.com offers it and will train and hire new transcribers. It's great place to get started in the field.

I work from home, make my own hours, work in English, plus get all the benefits of a salaried worker in Israel. Rates are per page, so hard to pinpoint an exact salary, but transcribers who work 4-5 hours/day, 5 days week, make about 4200 NIS/month. Obviously if you would up your hours, potential to earn more. PM me for more information.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 2:49 pm
nechyf wrote:
I work in transcription (legal field). My current company doesn't require official certification (though it exists and is called AAERT), but did require previous experience.

If you want to take an inexpensive mini course, Transcriptionforeveryone.com offers it and will train and hire new transcribers. It's great place to get started in the field.

I work from home, make my own hours, work in English, plus get all the benefits of a salaried worker in Israel. Rates are per page, so hard to pinpoint an exact salary, but transcribers who work 4-5 hours/day, 5 days week, make about 4200 NIS/month. Obviously if you would up your hours, potential to earn more. PM me for more information.
How much is it per page? (I am the OP) I heard from a neighbor that it is hard to make anything but peanuts at such a job.

nechyf

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 4:08 am
If you think 4200 NIS is peanuts for part time...

Please PM me and I'll give you more information. Its actually quite respectable, IMHO

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 4:10 am
nechyf wrote:
If you think 4200 NIS is peanuts for part time...

Please PM me and I'll give you more information. Its actually quite respectable, IMHO
no, of course 4200 is not peanuts for a part time job. for some reason I thought you wrote for a full time job you are getting 4200.
Im not sure I want to come out of hiding, so I dont know if I will PM you, but thank you either way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions