Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How to increase appetite

amother

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 10:36 am
ds is on concerta for adhd
the concerta is good and we feel he should stay on it but the big downside is he has no appetite.

He is complaining to me that he hates feeling hungry but having no appetite and is there anything he can eat to help this or a vitamin to take

Is there anything to do?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 11:48 am
My DS isnt on any meds and is also never hungry. He is always full from yesterday, breakfast.. whatever excuse he comes up with. He doesnt associate stomach pain as hunger. He is pretty petite.

I asked around. The only advice I got was to give him multivitamins and pediasure for extra calories. My DS loves the chocolate flavor and I give him one when he feels like he cant eat.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 3:48 pm
I have same problem. he will have breakfast just about , no dinner in school and a bit of supper. he used to want an egg for breakfast and would offer him cheese as he likes it and bread or toast with cheese or anything fattening even tough I wouldn't normaly go for it, but he needs the calories so I am more lenient with his food.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 6:38 pm
I find that my ds gets back his appetite right before bedtime so he eats a lot then.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 8:13 pm
DD is a super picky eater, and has a hard time sitting still. I found out that if she eats while watching a video she will sit through the whole meal, and next thing she knows her plate will be empty. (Anyone watch TV with a bag of potato chips, and then wonder where they all went? Same thing.) It's absolutely not ideal, but it gets food into her with the least amount of nagging, so I finally caved and I let her watch something during dinner.

She has problems with fine motor control, so I tend to make a lot of foods that she can eat with her fingers. She'll eat a lot more if she doesn't have to fuss with utensils.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)