Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
For the tichel wearers out there

myname1

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:28 am
I only cover my hair with tichels, not sheitels. The problem is I have a lot of interesting fabrics and colors, but I end up only wearing the same 2 pretieds/snoods everyday because they're so much easier. (And I'm in Israel so I can get away with it.) I try to show as little hair as possible (a bit by the ears seems unavoidable, but I don't let it slip back at all), so depending on what I'm doing that day, I need to take it off and fix it at least twice usually. That's with wearing those velvet "non-slip" bands. So it's not so hard for me to take a regular scarf and tie it in a way I am happy with, but it's SUCH a pain to re-do it throughout the day, so it ends up looking really weird by the end. The tichel doesn't necessarily slip off the velvet band, but the band slides back on my head usually.

So I'm thinking is there a really good band that won't slip? Or do people somehow use pins/bobby pins to help? Or there some other system? When I see women with these nice fancy styles, I wonder how they do it and look so nice all day. I'm especially wondering for chassunahs- while dancing, they stay on, poofy thing and all? How do they do it???

While we're on the topic, for those who cover their hair in bed, what do you use? I'm looking for something not too complicated/uncomfortable, but that will stay on at least for a bit. My snood is so comfortable, but slips off as soon as my head hits the pillow. Any tips? Thanks!

myname1

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 5:09 am
Sorry, I just found a bunch of amazing threads on here about this. So if you have something to add, please do, but feel free to skip it. Thanks!

timtam

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 6:08 am
Look at www.wrapunzel.com. They do amazing tichels and unique ways of layering, combining and tying them. They also sell various accessories like pins and no slip bands.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:37 pm
I make my own wig grips. I never have to readjust during the day.

measure your hairline. cut a strip of velvet an inch longer than your hairline measurement and 2-3 inches wide. fold the strip in half widthwise, maintaining the length. sew the edges together (big stitches are just fine). wrap it around your head and secure with a safety pin.

make sure you put the headband on the right way. rub the headband on your head from both sides. flip the headband over lengthwise and rub both sides to your hair again. you will notice that two directions give resistance, the other two slip easily. wear the headband in the direction that provides the most resistance from front to back. you may just be wearing your headband backwards.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 1:59 pm
Wig grip bands really DO work wonders. You could hang from the ceiling and nothing will slip!

spinkles

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 3:07 pm
Quote:
wear the headband in the direction that provides the most resistance from front to back.

Thumbs Up

myname1

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 3:31 pm
Thanks so much for all the advice! I think I just wasn't closing the headband tight enough (it's velcro). So today I closed it way tighter than usual, and had much less problems. Do you think this band is enough to keep on a tichel while jumping around at a chassuna?

Does anyone wear a headband and a poof? Like those cotton stretchy things with a small pillow sewn in? I saw one once with the velvet headband attached, but it was expensive and someone already gave me one without the velvet that is fun to try to use. So any tips for making those stay on, with or without using a velvet headband in addition?

spinkles

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 4:06 pm
Quote:
Do you think this band is enough to keep on a tichel while jumping around at a chassuna?

Yes unless it's a slippery tichel. When I wear my band with oblong tichels I wrap one end of the tichel up over my head, that keeps them on really tight and they don't slip back at all.

Quote:
Does anyone wear a headband and a poof? Like those cotton stretchy things with a small pillow sewn in? I saw one once with the velvet headband attached, but it was expensive and someone already gave me one without the velvet that is fun to try to use. So any tips for making those stay on, with or without using a velvet headband in addition?

I have worn the volumizer occasionally but usually don't because I feel it gives a conehead look. They slip off but if you wear the wig grip underneath they stay put. If you want more specific instructions you can always go to Andrea Grinberg's youtube videos.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 9:30 pm
There are low and high volumizers. I wear a low one, over a wig grip headband. I also tend to tie my tichel on top of itself which helps. Don't assume a bun tied in back will stay on -- the weight being there will drag it down.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 9:34 pm
I use one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbRTaABO08

you can put it wherever you want, and you don't have to worry about it adding an extra layer in the summer. it works well with a wig grip.

baba

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 4:05 pm
My non-slip band also slipped on my hair, though the tichel stayed on it.
So I use to bobby pins that I stick on the back side of the band towards the front and then it doesnt slip.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 6:56 pm
I wear a tighter fitting cotton lycra hat or pretied, tied on tightly underneath for a fancy wrap or multi layered tie that I wear for a chasuna. It basically stays in place, I have to do some readjustment if I have been dancing very hard or someone yanks my tichel (thankyou random child Rolling Eyes ), but no more than for a sheital or my own hair pre marriage.

I now prefer using a tight cotton pretied in a base color, as I can tighten it as much as I want, and then use it to tuck the tails of the fancier ones, either the apron type or long rectangular scarfs in, and it stays in place well. I do tuck the top half of my ears in, as I don't show any hair at the front (except wisps that come out), and find that helps it stay on, behind the ears and it tends to slip off more.

Having said all that, for everyday work/ shopping etc, I just throw on a pretied or chenille beret, and it stays on without a problem. I've never had a pretied with a big slipping off issue, but I generally wear lycra or cotton lycra and wear them quite tight, I sometimes get a mark on my forehead by the end of the day.

I'm not great at using a volumiser, as the extra weight does pull the whole thing down, but I think I just need more practice. Was thinking of making my own mini volumiser, as the one I bought is enormous and was stupidly expensive.

I'm also planning on buying some nicer satin lycra and having a go at making my own apron style tichel, they are stunning and not difficult at all to design, plus the stretchy material is far better at staying on the head than non stretchy. My favorite tichel accessories are some stunning stretch lace hairbands in unusual colors, in materials which I've now sourced online for a fraction of the cost of the shop bought ones to add to my homemade creations. There is a whole world of creative and unique tichel design that seems possible even for a complete amateur like me. It is so much more exciting than wearing a sheital, IMO.

(Sorry, off topic but I am all excited about it, so can't stop talking about it! Plus I'm hoping the homemade ones will stay on better....)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels