Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
New babysitter... safe?

ilovethecold

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:47 pm
Hi-

First time mama here. How do I know the babysitter I'm about to hire is ACTUALLY safe? I plan on installing (and telling her about!) nanny cams, popping in for visits every now and then, and calling her past references. I interviewed her and she seemed good, but since I don't have a gut feeling about her, what do I do?

smss

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:49 pm
how did you find her? do you know anyone who used her? I would always prefer to find my own people to call as opposed to calling the list of references she gives you...

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:51 pm
ask a neighbor to keep an eye out. I stay home and have been able to tell a neighbor to fire the babysitter.

m+m

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 2:58 pm
I like the neighbor idea. Have your neighbor pop in to "borrow" things from time to time.
Why does she need to know about the camera, then she will just avoid that room? Are you putting one in every room?
Over time you will trust her more and more, obviously you can never "fully" trust a babysitter.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 3:08 pm
Esti's Mom wrote:
I like the neighbor idea. Have your neighbor pop in to "borrow" things from time to time.
Why does she need to know about the camera, then she will just avoid that room? Are you putting one in every room?
Over time you will trust her more and more, obviously you can never "fully" trust a babysitter.

She doesn't need to tell the sitter where the camera is located; just that there is one. Nowadays they are easily concealed, and she'd probably not be able to spot it.

baker1

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 3:21 pm
I would not tell her at first, and watch her for far. If you are happy at how she interacts with your child when she does not know that a camera is watching, I would tell her that I installed one so she can be extra good to your child. IMO.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 6:07 pm
Have her do a trial when youre home. That should give you some instinct.

Either you or dh can stay home and listen from the master bedroom or whatever without her knowledge. One of you leaves for the day but the other stays behind to monitor what's going on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics