Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Why don't you cover your hair?
1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:23 pm
Those married posters who don't cover their hair in public - why don't you?

taffy

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:55 pm
Is this question being asked in the same spirit as in, ''those of you who don't drink coffee, why don't you?" ?

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:24 pm
none of your beeswax my dear 8)

wait, I have a question, why is the sky blue?

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:57 pm
taffy wrote:
Is this question being asked in the same spirit as in, ''those of you who don't drink coffee, why don't you?" ?

not sure, what spirit is that?

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:38 am
This has been discussed quite heatedly in the past with people stating how wrong we are and how we are going against halacha and I don't feel like going through that again. Let's just say that maybe it was because of attitudes like those posters that was one of the deciding factors for me to stop covering my hair

lotte

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:45 am
motek,why dont you lock this thread?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:53 am
It has happened that I forgot to put a haircovering on and dh forgot to remind me. It has happened that I was feeling very unwell and it was very hot outside (not an excuse, but that's the reason).
It has happened maybe 10 times in a year of marriage.

Now, as I said in another thread, there are communities where even frum women feel they can not cover because their rabbis said it was ok - I don't know which one caused the other, and Im' not relying on these opinions personally although I know people who do, but there are Moroccan, Polish, Lithuanian and Persian sources (old ones), and recently some American (YU?) and German rabbis who said the same. Generally, the same ones okayed pants and/or short sleeves.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:57 am
I had a shidduch with a boy who said it was ok to wear pants but not eat non cholov yisroel or uncover more than a tefach. I thought it was interesting. He was from German modern Orthodoxy. Not a good catch for me as I don't want to wear pants or keep CY. Twisted Evil

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:06 am
for 10 years been there, done that, didn't work for me ... I felt ugly, and hot and mental ... and not myself ... so you got one real answer here ...

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:15 am
Green, all of your reasons apply to me as well. I couldn't stand it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:16 am
brooklyn wrote:

are we related Wink

withhumor

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:34 am
I can’t stand it either but then again, I can’t stand getting my period either, so should I make it stop?

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:47 am
greenfire wrote:
brooklyn wrote:

are we related Wink

Maybe we sould be, we seem to have much in common.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:52 am
withhumor wrote:
I can’t stand it either but then again, I can’t stand getting my period either, so should I make it stop?

Here we go again. If this is going to turn into a bashing thread or a thread that you feel you should be giving us chizuk then I say have it locked now. A question was asked and some of us chose to answer it. Speaking for myself I am not embarrassed by what I do and I definately am not interested in others telling me if I am right or wrong. You are not in my shoes and have absolutely no right to make judgement on me. So do us all a favor and don't. (By the way Withhumor I generally like your posts and am not directing all of this at you. )

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:54 am
I'm also a little surprised that a frum woman wouldn't keep this and I'm happy that Motek asked.

For example - what about Yom Kippur? That's uncomfortable, but we all fast. Why is haircovering - or the lack thereof - different?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:54 am
some people actually take pills to avoid getting their period in case you didn't know withhumor...

withhumor

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:55 am
DUH you can take a kerchief and cover… ok withhumor shut up now…

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:06 am
Green and Brooklyn, I totally understand!
The only thing I can stand is a bandana. Because I can forget it when it's on my head.
A hat makes me feel weird as soon as I'm not outside, a tichel makes me feel old (no offense to anyone, that's just me), a sheitel is awfully hot but next best thing after bandana, a beret is cute but weird inside too, I personally find snoods very not elegant. So yeah, bandana.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:43 am
Quote:
motek,why dont you lock this thread?

ah, a yenta that has an agenda, where have you been ten? Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:44 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I'm also a little surprised that a frum woman wouldn't keep this and I'm happy that Motek asked.

For example - what about Yom Kippur? That's uncomfortable, but we all fast. Why is haircovering - or the lack thereof - different?

Yom Kippur is once a year, not a daily event.

My period isn't uncomfortable.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics