Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Why don't you cover your hair?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:51 am
man you guys are ___________________ !!!!!!!!!!

yeah motek what exactly is your agenda here ... to what ...

don't correlate covering ones hair with how frum they are you don't really know ...

farmom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:59 am
Hey, I too was curious, like what Ruchel said - that some Rabbonim permit it. And not to point fingers, but out of curiosity's sake, what is the rationale? (kind of like people who were interested in why certain people shave their head, and if they shave other areas too. . .)

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:53 am
greenfire wrote:
don't correlate covering ones hair with how frum they are you don't really know ...

does that really make any sense? Thats almost like saying don't correlate keeping shabbos or kosher with how frum a person is.

Being frum is not easy.I grew up not religous at all. Being kosher to me is really hard but I still do it anyway. Most of us do the norm of our community and we listen to the Rabbinum we identify ranging from reform to chassidish.

Personally a married women not covering thier hair is no different to me than a reform jew that doesn't keep kosher or shabbos. Both are identifying with thier comunity and rabbis.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:55 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:

does that really make any sense? Thats almost like saying don't correlate keeping shabbos or kosher with how frum a person is.

Being frum is not easy.I grew up not religous at all. Being kosher to me is really hard but I still do it anyway. Most of us do the norm of our community and we listen to the Rabbinum we identify ranging from reform to chassidish.

Personally a married women not covering thier hair is no different to me than a reform jew that doesn't keep kosher or shabbos. Both are identifying with thier comunity and rabbis.

you have no idea what you're talking about ...................

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:00 am
Whatever happened to an MO forum?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:03 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Whatever happened to an MO forum?

yes ... this would be where we need it ... but then again ... it wasn't an MO who opened this post ... so........ it wouldn't have helped ...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:07 am
who says m.o. keep halachos less strictly?

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:08 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Pickle lady: I do cover my hair b'h, but this a different issue from the cardinal mitzvahs of Shabbos, kashrus and Taharas Hamispacha...This is not like being reform! I don't know much, but I know that much.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:20 am
That's why I wonder, if ysomeone's spoken to their rav and their rav permits it then there shouldn't be a need to feel defensive. If it's done without their rav saying it's okay than I don't get it at all. In fact I'm genuinely curious if people are going by what their Rav says. If so, is it our business to say they should do otherwise?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:23 am
because we don't want to.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:23 am
greenfire wrote:
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:

you have no idea what you're talking about ...................

You don't know me, that comment was totally uncalled for. Were you insulted that I compared the a women who doens't cover their hair to a reform jew not keeping kosher?

Many "frum jews" don't realize that many reform and conservative jews consider themselves to be very religious. They consult with their rabbis and follow them. Whats different with frum jews? Don't we do that too? Don't we all do the norm of our community? Or maybe I am mistaken. Do many jews just personally pick which observance they will keep?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:27 am
Pickle Lady wrote:

You don't know me, that comment was totally uncalled for. Were you insulted that I compared the a women who doens't cover their hair to a reform jew not keeping kosher?

where on earth do you come from and insult people and then say boo hoo about how we respond!!! Twisted Evil

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:30 am
mimivan wrote:
Pickle lady: I do cover my hair b'h, but this a different issue from the cardinal mitzvahs of Shabbos, kashrus and Taharas Hamispacha...This is not like being reform! I don't know much, but I know that much.

Actually I have spoken with some reform and conservative jews that have more emuna and a desire to please hashem then many frum people I know. They are very dedicated to the mitzvahs they are taught by their rabbis. It really upsets me when frum jews put them down.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:32 am
Pickle Lady, you would really consider someone that keeps shabbos, kosher, mikvah, but doesn't cover her hair, Reform?

That seems a bit much.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:35 am
Pickle Lady wrote:

Actually I have spoken with some reform and conservative jews that have more emuna and a desire to please hashem then many frum people I know. They are very dedicated to the mitzvahs they are taught by their rabbis. It really upsets me when frum jews put them down.

yet you who claim to be frum are putting mo down ... how hypocritical of you

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:36 am
the excuse "because my rabbi said I don't have to" just doesn't cut it. what is the source here that these rabbis are basing their decisions on? where does it say that a married woman should not cover her hair? nowhere! if your rabbi told you to eat pork, would you do it just because he said so? of course not because it is against halacha! same goes with covering ones hair. there are differences of opinion regarding how much to cover, but the fact that a married woman should cover her hair is a given. pickle lady is right on.
I'm not saying you guys should cover your hair, I'm just asking for some torah sources that back you guys up regarding your decision not to cover your hair.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:38 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Pickle Lady, you would really consider someone that keeps shabbos, kosher, mikvah, but doesn't cover her hair, Reform?

That seems a bit much.

I never said that!!!!!

I am saying that they are following their community and rabbis. Actually some reform jews do keep kosher. I bet you didn't know that one, did you!!!!

Quote:
where on earth do you come from and insult people and then say boo hoo about how we respond!!! Twisted Evil

how am I insulting you?[/b]

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:40 am
amother wrote:

I'm not saying you guys should cover your hair, I'm just asking for some torah sources that back you guys up regarding your decision not to cover your hair.

and where exactly is the torah source that actually says that you must cover your hair ???

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:44 am
greenfire wrote:
yet you who claim to be frum are putting mo down ... how hypocritical of you

I would love to know how I am putting MO down?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:45 am
I know of at least four women who cover their hair and don’t have to – and don’t love to either!

Two had non Jewish husbands and became frum later in life and divorced the husbands. When their kids grew up, got married and went on shlichus, the mothers felt “funny” that the Rebbetzin’s mother, for example didn’t cover her hair! (Others covered for other reasons, not relevant here.)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics