Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Why don't you cover your hair?
Previous  1  2  3

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:47 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:
yet you who claim to be frum are putting mo down ... how hypocritical of you

I would love to know how I am putting MO down?

you didn't specifially use mo ... but then you did put everyone down who doesn't do as you do ... and then said how wonderful reform jews are ... do you not hear yourself ...

shayna82

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:48 pm
I think tihs thread should be locked and am actually appaled that it was started. after all the fighting and problems on this site regarding such issues as this and modern orthodoxy and all that, Idont understand why its being dug up out ofthe dirt again.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:53 pm
greenfire wrote:
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:
yet you who claim to be frum are putting mo down ... how hypocritical of you

I would love to know how I am putting MO down?

you didn't specifially use mo ... but then you did put everyone down who doesn't do as you do ... and then said how wonderful reform jews are ... do you not hear yourself ...

can you please site a specific example. Maybe you misunderstood me. Actually I really think you misunderstood me.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:59 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
greenfire wrote:
don't correlate covering ones hair with how frum they are you don't really know ...

does that really make any sense? Thats almost like saying don't correlate keeping shabbos or kosher with how frum a person is.

Being frum is not easy.I grew up not religous at all. Being kosher to me is really hard but I still do it anyway. Most of us do the norm of our community and we listen to the Rabbinum we identify ranging from reform to chassidish.

Personally a married women not covering thier hair is no different to me than a reform jew that doesn't keep kosher or shabbos. Both are identifying with thier comunity and rabbis.

this is what you said ...

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
the excuse "because my rabbi said I don't have to" just doesn't cut it. what is the source here that these rabbis are basing their decisions on? where does it say that a married woman should not cover her hair? nowhere! if your rabbi told you to eat pork, would you do it just because he said so? of course not because it is against halacha! same goes with covering ones hair. there are differences of opinion regarding how much to cover, but the fact that a married woman should cover her hair is a given. pickle lady is right on.
I'm not saying you guys should cover your hair, I'm just asking for some torah sources that back you guys up regarding your decision not to cover your hair.

has anyone here read Hide and Seek? This is not a very obvious halacha to work with. I'm obviously assuming the Rav is following halacha. Not everything is the same in every community.

That said I'm in a community where the sheitel is (supposed to at least) be the norm and our Rebbe was very big on women wearing a sheitel, but I try to be respectful towards people with other customs. If their Rav is a Rav who is shomer Torah and Mitzvos is respected in his community, is in other words an orthodox person who am I to say he's wrong?

There are many variances in halacha some of them trivial some of them less so. I open up all th diapers I need for Shabbos and Yom Tov because my Rav said I needed to do that. My SIL doesn't. Her Rav said she didn't. We're both right by following the psak we got.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:04 pm
greenfire wrote:
amother wrote:

I'm not saying you guys should cover your hair, I'm just asking for some torah sources that back you guys up regarding your decision not to cover your hair.

and where exactly is the torah source that actually says that you must cover your hair ???

I'm still waiting to see these sources ...

mod3

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:27 pm
I am locking this thread until it gets reviewed.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics