Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do in frankfurt germany?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Squash

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:30 pm
To me visiting would be enjoyable and exciting, but still not what I consider "fun" as in parks, amusements, shows...

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:14 pm
Boy such judgement! Being the OP I thank to those who simpled answered my questions. Maybe fun was the wrong choice of word. We would love to go to kivrei tzadikim and we are trying to find out who is buried where as we are limited in time and would like to accomplish what we can.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
OP was looking for fun stuff to do. She didn't ask about kivrei tzadikim or shuls or yeshivas.

We are just looking for anything in any category right now and then we can make a schedule.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 8:48 am
This is a private website, but you may find it helpful.

http://www.yeckes.com/componen.....id,1/

rainbow baby

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
Auschwitz?

Sorry, it makes me a little Puke that you are looking to have fun in Germany.

Auschwitz is not in Germany it is in Poland. The camps that are in Germany where not extermination camps they where more camps for slave labour.

rainbow baby

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 9:03 am
Piper wrote:
amother wrote:
Auschwitz?

Sorry, it makes me a little Puke that you are looking to have fun in Germany.

The Jewish community in Germany is growing again. I know someone who was born there and she misses it.

I also hear that the Jewis community is growing again in Germany but so is anti Semtisim as well. The Nazi's are once again growing in strength, during last years World Cup they were saying on the radio that anyone who is not white and who is Jewish need to be careful where they travel in Germany as they could get into trouble in certain areas.

TorahMom48

Post Fri, Jun 08 2007, 11:52 am
Quote:
amother wrote:
Auschwitz?

Sorry, it makes me a little that you are looking to have fun in Germany.

Auschwitz is not in Germany it is in Poland. The camps that are in Germany where not extermination camps they where more camps for slave labour.

correct jewishmama

But I think we all know the history, and who was behind it. if you don't have to go to Germany or Poland except for things like visiting the camps, which is good but unfortunately provides money to grandchildren of nazis in many cases - then it's probably a good idea to avoid it,

I am not so happy about the idea or a Jewish community growing in Germany, if they are being brought closer to judaism good, but otherwise I don' think hashem wants us there and I don'tt see why people would want to live in such a place

sorry but I am rushing...

purplegirl

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 7:15 am
TorahMom48 wrote:
I am not so happy about the idea or a Jewish community growing in Germany, if they are being brought closer to judaism good, but otherwise I don' think hashem wants us there and I don'tt see why people would want to live in such a place

Just want to clarify for all those wondering what Jews are doing in Germany Mr. Green I know many people who live there and here's pshat:

Most of the Jews in Germany are Russian immigrants - when communism croaked, Jews had the option to go to Israel or Germany - they could only go to America if they had a personal invitation. Many chose not to go to Israel because of the financial hardships - in Germany, there is 20% unemployment and the unemployed are on welfare. The government gives such good aid, that you can really live comfortably without working. This is very attractive, especially to older people. The younger people go to University (very inexpensive) and will go on to work, hopefully.

There are lots of Chabad and other organizations, notably the Ronald S. Lauder Foundation (buy Estee Lauder and Clinique makeup! Mr. Green) working in kiruv in Germany. They have programs, shabbosos, camps, and even a yeshiva and seminary in Berlin. B"H many kids are coming back.

My friends who live there don't do it because they think it's wonderful to have German neighbors - they do it because there are Jewish souls there who need to be brought home.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 8:43 am
TorahMom48 wrote:

I am not so happy about the idea or a Jewish community growing in Germany, if they are being brought closer to judaism good, but otherwise I don' think hashem wants us there and I don'tt see why people would want to live in such a place.

I don't understand this comment. How do you know that Hashem does not want people to live there? After all most of the killings of Jews actually happened in Poland. If it is because the Nazi's were responsible for six million Jews being murdered then maybe Hashem would not want Jewish people to live in Spain because of the Spanish inquisition, or Jews living in England because of the expulsions, or Jews living in Chevran because of the 1929 massacre. The list goes on and on of how the gentile world has killed Jews throughout our history and to tell you the truth if we did not live in all these countries becasue of that then there would be nowhere else for us to live, besides the sea and space!!!

Yeah your right Hashem does not want us to be spaced out all over the world he wants us in Eretz Yiroal with Moshiach and the Beis HaMikdash, but untill then IY"H it will be very very soon we are spread out all over the world and it is up to everyone of us to try and bring every Jew nearer to Hashem and Torah and mitzvah's. Also I once heard that untill Torah is spread out all over the world Moshiach will come. We need to lift up even the lowest parts of the world to Torah and Mitzvah's and make everywhere Holy.

besimcha

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 9:46 am
When the Soviet Union broke down, a law was made in Germany to bring in as many Jews as there had been before the war. Being that it was impossible to stay in the Soviet Union, way more difficult to get into the US and there was funny propaganda about Israel (as in, it's not civilized, people are riding camels to work and there's no indoor plumbing), many Soviet Jews went to Germany.

Now, the vast majority of Jews in Germany are from the former Soviet Union, and there is major kiruv going on there, there are three yeshivos (the one in Frankfurt is a Chabad yeshiva, the boys from Brunoir, France, go there for their last year and receive smicha there while doing work in the community, learning with people etc). There is a seminary for girls in Berlin, a new kindergarten, shiurim etc. People who go there for kiruv don't do it because or in spite of the Germans, but because it is hatzolas nefashos, and they got hadrocha from the gedolim to go and do it. In our generation, there are many gerei tzedek from Germany, wonderful yiddishe people, and many non-frum Jews B"H become frum there. Frankfurt, by the way, has a wonderful chassidishe Rav, a big talmid chochom and a true tzaddik.

As for OP's question, there are two Jewish cemeteries in Frankfurt, the old one and the new one. Obviously, most of the Gedolim - R' Nosson Adler, R' Hirsch and many many others - are buried in the old one. I don't remember the exact address but you can get it at yeckes.com. There is one kosher restaurant, the Zohar, but it's not really kedai for you if you're only staying for a few hours. If you should get hungry, in the large department stores, Kaufhof and Karstadt (Zeil, you can go there directly from the airport with the no 8 or 9 train), they have some OU-certified American foods in the food department. I can't think of anything that is really worth buying davka there. You could go to the Main or the Jewish museum. Worms, where the Rashi shul is, would probably be too far a drive, I wouldn't risk it if I had a plane to catch. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 4:29 pm
jewishmamathebest wrote:
TorahMom48 wrote:

I am not so happy about the idea or a Jewish community growing in Germany, if they are being brought closer to judaism good, but otherwise I don' think hashem wants us there and I don'tt see why people would want to live in such a place.

I don't understand this comment. How do you know that Hashem does not want people to live there? After all most of the killings of Jews actually happened in Poland.

Excuse my bluntness, but this is ridiculous. Who was in charge of the killing and who did most of it? Come now.

Quote:
If it is because the Nazi's were responsible for six million Jews being murdered then maybe Hashem would not want Jewish people to live in Spain because of the Spanish inquisition,

Yup. Were you aware that there was a cherem on living in Spain that just recently expired?

Quote:
or Jews living in England because of the expulsions, or Jews living in Chevran because of the 1929 massacre.

I hope you are aware of the difference in scale between a pogrom in which 60-some people were killed and the attempted genocide of a whole nation.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 2:57 am
Living in Spain or Egypt used to be forbidden, but many Jews lived there anyway.

My mom vowed to never go to Germany. But my dad settled there in the 50's just to piss off the Nazis watching from Gehinom. Different people, different ideas......lol
By the way in the end he left because he couldn't stand wondering what the nice old guy did during the war or if the motherly old lady in fact had Hitler's portrait in her kid's room.

TorahMom48

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:08 am
Purple girl thank you for the explanation, although does that mean only elderly and kiruv people (mostly)?

Sarahhd thank you for this, thats exactly what I would have replied so you saved me some typing Smile

SarahHD
Quote:
Excuse my bluntness, but this is ridiculous. Who was in charge of the killing and who did most of it? Come now.

also the other info you mentioned.

as for the second half of your comment Jewish mama, well 1st of all I thought I was agreeing with you when I wrote that so eithet I misunderstood or your position changed but anyway...you write

JewishMama
Quote:
Yeah your right Hashem does not want us to be spaced out all over the world he wants us in Eretz Yiroal with Moshiach and the Beis HaMikdash, but untill then IY"H it will be very very soon we are spread out all over the world and it is up to everyone of us to try and bring every Jew nearer to Hashem and Torah and mitzvah's. Also I once heard that untill Torah is spread out all over the world Moshiach will come. We need to lift up even the lowest parts of the world to Torah and Mitzvah's and make everywhere Holy.

JewishMama make up your mind, I know this is not the discussion here but of course hashem wants us here in E"Y, where we can automatically be nearer to his shechina and do more mitzvot, It is a mitzva to be here, acc to some, Ramban, it is one of the 613, so unless someone was doing kiruv or one of the other reasons to be overseas we need to be here, Adaraba I heard moshiach will come when al the Jews wake up to hashems message to us allowing us to return to Eretz Yisrael, maybe then moshiach will come.

purplegirl

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 6:15 pm
TorahMom48 wrote:
Purple girl thank you for the explanation, although does that mean only elderly and kiruv people (mostly)?

Over 70% of the community are elderly. The kiruv people are less than .01% and everyone else is school-aged, university students, and middle aged. This is not from a poll, just from experience and hearsay.

TorahMom48

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 8:29 am
Interesting

rainbow baby

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 8:42 am
Torahmom, I'am confused why you wrote, "JewishMama make up your mind." I'am not at all confused and I cannot see why you are confused by what I wrote. I said that Hashem wants us in Eretz Yisroel but seeming we are in Gaulos we are spread out all over the world. That's a fact!!!! I then went onto say that we need to spread Torah and Mitzvahs to bring Moshiach. So I am completely confused why you wrote what you need. Please explain!!

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 2:57 am
aushwitz is in poland jsut we learn that te germans changed the polsih town name what ever it was called then I think oust something to aushwitz.
anyways you have the kevarim of michelstat baal memichelstat, and in mainz you have the kevarim of rebbe klonemous the talmid of rashi, rashi si sin worms (france??) and also in maintz is the kever of the composer of unesane tokef, rebbe amnon it think.

btw I'm glad you didn't ask what you would do if you had to stop over in kiev cuz that's an eay one!!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:34 am
Auschwitz = Oswiecim in Polish

Worms is in Germany, but Troyes in France Smile

TorahMom48

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:17 am
Jewish Mama It could be I misunderstood, if you look back at your post that we are discussing a bit above...I think the words "but until then" can be confusing as was it clarifying one or both of the previous statements.
take a look, but I took it to mean you didn't think Jews belonged here until moshiach. I guess I was wrong.

I agree with your last post, it is a fact that we are spread out, but I do feel more Jews (unless they have valid halachic reasons) should be making aliya....it's like an ignored mitzva to many...and by the way the good news there are more Jews here than any other country...still we have a way to go...so lets spread torah and mtzvos but lets not forget a certain one mitzva - Aliya!

Quote:
Torahmom, I'am confused why you wrote, "JewishMama make up your mind." I'am not at all confused and I cannot see why you are confused by what I wrote. I said that Hashem wants us in Eretz Yisroel but seeming we are in Gaulos we are spread out all over the world. That's a fact!!!! I then went onto say that we need to spread Torah and Mitzvahs to bring Moshiach. So I am completely confused why you wrote what you need. Please explain!!

bashinda

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 1:23 pm
Some of us aren't meant to be in EY until Moshiach comes as much as we'd want to. Our avoda is being in chutz l'aretz.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics