Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
MM for kids
1  2  Next

SS6099

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 1:12 pm
What do you do for your kids to give to their friends? I want something that will make my kids happy to give, but not too much junk/$ that will make mother mothers annoyed (lol)...
Any ideas?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 9:22 am
I give the same as we do.

chanar

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 9:49 am
How about a donut and a small bottle of chocolate milk?! Kids love that but it's not tons of little junk!!

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:33 am
chanar wrote:
How about a donut and a small bottle of chocolate milk?! Kids love that but it's not tons of little junk!!

That's close to what we usually do. The kids pick 2-3 friends and we give a cupcake and shoko

sky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 11:46 am
I bake large chocolate chip cookies - with fun colored lentils. And put in a paper cd case. Then print a picture of my child\ren on a sticker and place in the CD window. It makes it more fun. Then I let them glue on a few wrapped candies and stickers.

I do let my sons give soda (caffeine free). Its peer pressure - and if they didn't they would feel bad.

We give a lot of kids shaloch manos. When we got married I gave to my all my nieces and nephews. There are probably double the amount now, and I don't want to just stop - they all expect and enjoy it. I think I baked about 60 cookies to give...

The packaging is cheap and it is fun to put together.

Like this:

cinnamon

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 2:26 pm
sky wrote:
I bake large chocolate chip cookies - with fun colored lentils. And put in a paper cd case. Then print a picture of my child\ren on a sticker and place in the CD window. It makes it more fun. Then I let them glue on a few wrapped candies and stickers.

I do let my sons give soda (caffeine free). Its peer pressure - and if they didn't they would feel bad.

We give a lot of kids shaloch manos. When we got married I gave to my all my nieces and nephews. There are probably double the amount now, and I don't want to just stop - they all expect and enjoy it. I think I baked about 60 cookies to give...

The packaging is cheap and it is fun to put together.

Like this:

cool.
recipe please?

sky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 4:27 pm
The name says it all - Best Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/b.....okie/
I use an ice cream scoop to shape them - but don't fill all the way to the top (otherwise too big) and push down on the tops before baking to form a nice circle.
I mix in some candy covered chocolate lentils to make it fun and purimy.
I used round labels in the center.

One year I gave carrot muffins, those didn't go over so well.

basement

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 5:47 pm
Sky, thanks for the idea! I'm thinking how to maybe use it for "regular" (not just for kids) shalach manos. I looked at the recipe you linked and read some reviews which indicated needing to chill the dough. Do you do that?

sky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 5:52 pm
I didn't I just scooped it immediately.
I also doubles and triples nicely.

I did find that you have to pat down the tops before baking to create a disc. otherwise they ended up with too much a bump in the middle and not as pretty and round.

basement

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:26 pm
Thanks, sky!

ange

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 7:19 pm
Wow! Sky, that is so professional looking. Something you would find in a store!

sky

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 7:24 pm
ange wrote:
Wow! Sky, that is so professional looking. Something you would find in a store!

I didn't mean to mislead anyone, But those pictures aren't mine. I stole the picture from someone's blog just as an example of what I do.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 7:34 pm
My mother used to wrap up a juice box, a box of raisins, and a box of some sort of nosh in tissue paper or cellophane tied at both ends to look like a candy. It was simple to do, and more importantly easy to make ahead of time.

Kind of like this:

SS6099

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 8:38 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
My mother used to wrap up a juice box, a box of raisins, and a box of some sort of nosh in tissue paper or cellophane tied at both ends to look like a candy. It was simple to do, and more importantly easy to make ahead of time.

Kind of like this:

OMG- this is adorable!
And Sky- thanks for the cookies idea!
Now I have to decide between the 2 Smile

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 9:00 pm
Sky - the recipe says to use melted butter. Did you make them with butter or margarine? Not that I am anti margarine, just curious if you used it, how did they come out?

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 9:11 pm
my mother used to get cute little bags or cheap smiley cups and put them by the door next to a big basket of assorted candies, pretzels, chips etc maybe carton drinks as well and any kids that came got to choose 2-3 things for their bag.

if we wanted we would use the same to premake for our friends.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 11:51 am
watergirl wrote:
Sky - the recipe says to use melted butter. Did you make them with butter or margarine? Not that I am anti margarine, just curious if you used it, how did they come out?

I used margarine. I melted it in a metal mixing bowl over a burner and then added the rest of the ingredients. I'm sure butter would be yummier, but they were very good this way.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 11:54 am
chocolate chips wrote:
my mother used to get cute little bags or cheap smiley cups and put them by the door next to a big basket of assorted candies, pretzels, chips etc maybe carton drinks as well and any kids that came got to choose 2-3 things for their bag.

if we wanted we would use the same to premake for our friends.

Our rav does something like this. They get a lot of M'M and can't reciprocate to all. They have big baskets of candy and chips and platters of cake and every child can choose 2.

My son's rebbe and principal also does that they have baskets of chips, candy, and a toy or pencil. Each child can choose one item from each basket. The kids enjoy it and it I'm sure it definitely makes it easier for them. (One rebbe had a wheel for the boys to spin and you got to pick based on your result. It was fun).

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 5:46 pm
sky wrote:
I used margarine. I melted it in a metal mixing bowl over a burner and then added the rest of the ingredients. I'm sure butter would be yummier, but they were very good this way.

Thanks. I made them today using the natures balance margarine and they are awesome.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 6:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
Thanks. I made them today using the natures balance margarine and they are awesome.

I've always wanted to try Natures balance but don't know what to buy. Is it in sticks like margarine? I only see a round tub like whipped butter comes in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics