Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim shuttle is so mean
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:01 am
I get one person or two on my list and I got a tiny thing while my neighbors get huge baskets. This is so humiliating. There is a big gathering of woman and they pack it up together and I can't even think about The looks they give each other when they pack mine. It is all about money. The community school (oot) makes a lot if money out of it. This is so rude. Don't you think so? The whole idea of the Purim shuttle is so twisted.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:03 am
maybe the packers shouldn't have names? All they need to know is they need to make 25 large, 30 medium, 30 small, etc. ONE person can then affix the names.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:05 am
in my community we all get the same one
and a list of all the people who contributed to the mm

tryinghard

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:05 am
I agree with you that if people feel hurt and slighted, it defeats the purpose of the mitzva. I'm sorry that you have been made to feel this way.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:15 am
Just curious, what is a purim shuttle?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:23 am
yo'ma wrote:
Just curious, what is a purim shuttle?

it's a shuttle that takes you from wherever you are - back to shushan

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:28 am
Money is money
OP , you try running a school

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 9:33 am
it's a way for the schools to raise funding - without people running amok or wasting monies ...

so if a small amount of people send you - a small shalach manos with their names are made up

if a large amount - a bigger one ...

places like this usually have 3 sizes ... for this purpose

most people prefer giving themselves - others like the convenience

it's not about you so try not to feel bad

acccdac

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:11 am
dont know where your school is or how your school does it but the school I teach in/kids attend....

I was never part of the process until last year. Because of babies or work I have never been able to help with the packing of the shuttle. Last year they asked my class to come and help during my teaching time.

I took them to the packing area and all they did was pack. The room was filled with different sized MM.

The names were not added until all the packing was complete.

I dont think the volunteers who pack see who is getting which size.

I know that the school now uses a website to do the lists for them. Before parent volunteers had to proofread the order forms and make sure nothing was left out. Now it is all computers so the only person seeing who gets what is the person putting the paper/sticker onto each package.

In terms of delivering, the families that I have seen deliver on not the people who are looking to see what size you get. They are the people who have middos and are using their own time on purim to deliver packages for the school.

Just a side point........as a teacher when I grade 300 pages in one shot, I RARELY remember what grades my students get. The only time I will remember is when a student gets 20 points higher or lower than their usual mark. The truth is, by the next morning, I'll maybe remember that I was shocked but wont even know why or which student it was. So when someone is attaching names to the packages and then grouping them by driving routes and usually only have 2-4 people helping out I dont think they remember that well.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 11:26 am
amother wrote:
in my community we all get the same one
and a list of all the people who contributed to the mm

Yup. Same here.

debsey

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:58 pm
OY - the point of MM is to make people feel GOOD and increase Ahavas Yisroel. That's SO sad that OP is hurt.
I live in a development where there is politics every year, particularly amongst the kids, over who is and who isn't giving/getting.
I decided - I'd rather not hurt someone on Purim. So if this means that I'm making 100 adult shalach manos and almost TWO HUNDRED kid's shalach manos, that's just fine.
I'm blessed with popular kids, B"H and it's super important for me that they be NICE. So they all have to give EVERYONE and then some. Popularity is a bracha from Hashem, and it could go in a heartbeat. So don't abuse it and don't hurt feelings.
If even one person is hurt, the whole Purim shuttle thing isn't worth it.
Just IMHO!
debs

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 1:30 pm
Op, I would say it means that you have lots more closer friends who want to give you more person baskets rather than just the shuttle! So don't feel bad ;-)

(as a side note I've helped pack them. It's like a factory. It's late at night you're tired you quickly put a sticker on and just look at the street and sort accordingly. No time to compare everyone wants to go home lol Only huge huge huge ones get noticed like for doctors and community leaders)

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 2:42 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
Op, I would say it means that you have lots more closer friends who want to give you more person baskets rather than just the shuttle! So don't feel bad ;-)

(as a side note I've helped pack them. It's like a factory. It's late at night you're tired you quickly put a sticker on and just look at the street and sort accordingly. No time to compare everyone wants to go home lol Only huge huge huge ones get noticed like for doctors and community leaders)

What she said, start to finish.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 2:47 pm
Everyone should get the same basket.

"Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world"

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:12 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Everyone should get the same basket.

"Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world"

We have a lot of sizes. From the tiny little box of chocolate the to the huge huge magnificent basket.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:15 pm
I thought a "Purim shuttle" was a free ride service for people too plastered to drive home.

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:35 pm
greenfire wrote:
it's a shuttle that takes you from wherever you are - back to shushan

Where do I catch it?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
I thought a "Purim shuttle" was a free ride service for people too plastered to drive home.

Everybody gives names of people they want to give to and pays 5 dollars each. you get a shalach manos as big as the list of people that included your name. The list is attached to the shalach manos. The next year you get the list of people that sent you last year in addition yo the list of everybody in the community. That way you can feel obligated to sent the people that sent you last year. Few years ago they added the feature that called reciprocation. You will see before Purim who sent you this year (online)and you hAve a small window of time to add them to your list. Isn't it aggressive??? Manipulative ???

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:47 pm
Why is that aggressive or manipulative? I am so grateful that I have an easy option of giving to whoever gave me and not having to worry about getting to their house, putting something together, etc. It couldn't get easier if I tried
I'm failing to see how it's manipulative. Unless you tell me the basket says "from a, b, and c. NOT from d, e, f.." then I don't see what is aggressive about them giving me the option to make my life easier

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:55 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
Why is that aggressive or manipulative? I am so grateful that I have an easy option of giving to whoever gave me and not having to worry about getting to their house, putting something together, etc. It couldn't get easier if I tried
I'm failing to see how it's manipulative. Unless you tell me the basket says "from a, b, and c. NOT from d, e, f.." then I don't see what is aggressive about them giving me the option to make my life easier

Because if there was no Purim shuttle people won't expect you to give 50 people. Nobody will be offended. It's a busy day and you have lots of kids or whatever. But Now you have their name on the list and it's just 3 dollars. How come you didn't include their name???? You got the list of people that included you last year and they even included you last year. You can't say that you forgot. You got the list of people who sent you last year. And now Especially with the new feature of reciprocation. You saw online that they sent you this year and you still didn't send back.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics