Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Salads For Mishloach Manoch - WWYD?

Nechami

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:13 am
Ok, so I decided to do a selection of three salads in little plastic containers, stacked on top of each other and presented with a packet of crackers.
I am just undecided what salads to make - what goes down best and are most appreciated.
I would love anyone's input what they think of the following choices - bear in mind I will want to prepare most the night before, and of course they will be room temperature.
Ok, so here goes:

Salad 1 - Starchy salad, either potato salad, pasta salad with peppers and pickles and mayo dressing or sauteed veg with pasta salad, or maybe a corn salad?
Salad 2 - Lettuce based salad - Should I do sweet, ie, lettuce, mago, craisins, pecans or more like caeser with tomatoes and croutons (obviously the dressings will be separate so doesn't go soggy) or maybe just lettuce and more interesting veggies....
Salad 3 - Marinated type - either, israeli salad, or cucumber and dill, or purple cabbage with sesame and almonds, or cherry tomato and pine nuts......

Those are more or less my three categories - what combination should I go for?
Should I do a coleslaw salad, or maybe a tuna based salad? The options are endless - I guess I'd just like to hear what you would prefer to receive and enjoy!!

Thanks in advance!!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:17 am
Whatever you do, don't make any dressings that are mayo based. The salads will end up going straight into the garbage if you don't deliver them cold and have your recipients put them into the fridge. You don't want all your hard work going to waste.

Happy18

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:36 am
I wouldn't. I know people do it, but I always find I end up throwing out salads. Unless it comes packed in some kind of cooler bag with an ice pack.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 9:49 am
I was also going to say to stay away from any mayo based salad.
oil and vinegar salad dressings are much safer as they will stay fresher longer.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 11:22 am
I would also choose from non mayo based:
Cucumber salad
Cabbage salad
Tri color pasta salad
Rainbow marinated salad
Corn salad

sgr

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 11:35 am
I wouldn't do salads they will become soggy and people won't eat them,I would rather do one section carrot sticks another baby tomatoes /pepper/cucumber sticks and a dip in the third section !

wereafamily

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 1:23 pm
Last year I did 3 different dips (olive, tomato and I can't remember the third) everyone loved it. This year I'm doing 3 different salads, still not sure which salad... marinated peppers salad, pasta salad, cucumber salad or sweet and sour eggplant salad.

I wouldn't do a lettuce salad, risky.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics